How many Fines have you Found in your Fines Box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I Found a Fines Box Full of Fines! Say that 5 times fast! LOL

First I found a P61-2 in Mint Condition! Is that a cream puff?

I was wondering if this was normal? Maybe it has not been cleaned in a few years?

Click pic to enlarge:

Attachments

• FinesBox (2).JPG
    FinesBox (2).JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 430
  • FinesBox (1).JPG
    FinesBox (1).JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 393
  • P61-2.JPG
    P61-2.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 427
Obviously depends on the pellet but that is the amount of fines I would expect from 30 or so bags of mwp being run through my stove.

Wow, Thanks for the Good Info!

Therefore How often do you clean your fines box during the cold winter days? Once a month?

Don, lol, that box isn't full of fines.......I've seen those boxes so full that no fines fall out at all....they are packed from bottom to top......PACKED. SO many folks miss that part of the manual where is says to clean it out......soooo many. That one? no way, its only like 1/3 full......

Don, lol, that box isn't full of fines.......I've seen those boxes so full that no fines fall out at all....they are packed from bottom to top......PACKED. SO many folks miss that part of the manual where is says to clean it out......soooo many. That one? no way, its only like 1/3 full......

Wow Thanks, I did not know it could get that full. LOL

More good info. Thanks guys!

Wow Thanks, I did not know it could get that full. LOL

More good info. Thanks guys!

oh, it can, Don, it can......I've seen em go literally years without emptying......"oh, I never even knew that was there!......" usually followed by something like "I'm not paying you for that service call that took you only 15 mins!...." or somesuch......

Reactions: mepellet
oh, it can, Don, it can......I've seen em go literally years without emptying......"oh, I never even knew that was there!......" usually followed by something like "I'm not paying you for that service call that took you only 15 mins!...." or somesuch......

I've had my Harman PB105 for 6 years now and I keep it running all year. I've only emptied the fines box once.

Hello

I Found a Fines Box Full of Fines! Say that 5 times fast! LOL

First I found a P61-2 in Mint Condition! Is that a cream puff?

I was wondering if this was normal? Maybe it has not been cleaned in a few years?

Click pic to enlarge:

I've got two Harmans. I clean the fines box twice a season. What I've found is that there are more small pieces of pellets in the box (1/8 inch long for example) then there is fines. Like another poster stated, it depends on the pellets. I've been burning Country Boy and Somerset, two highly rated pellets.

Reactions: Lousyweather
I have seen a P61 run for so many years without cleaning the fines box that the vertical arm actually broke off the shaft runnning through the pillow blocks. all I could say was "that's awesome....you broke something I've never seen break before...you get a gold star".

I clean mine once a year, there is usually about 1/4" of fines.

Once a month ...
found is that there are more small pieces of pellets in the box
I clean it into a can and dump it in the hopper. Its bout 1/2 full.
my bulk hopper is another story. fines seem to accumulate in the bottom. Harman placed two holes with covers for access make for easy end of season cleaning

I've had my Harman PB105 for 6 years now and I keep it running all year. I've only emptied the fines box once.

well, Scottie, lemme say here and now, that anyone reading this should NOT wait 6 years to clean out that box......MINIMUM every year, IDEALLY every ton....read yer manual

A clean box is a happy box ;)

well, Scottie, lemme say here and now, that anyone reading this should NOT wait 6 years to clean out that box......MINIMUM every year, IDEALLY every ton....read yer manual

I've checked it a few times but only cleaned it out once, the first time.
It's just too much effort sometimes. First, if you have an OAK attached, you have to disconnect the hose and then you have to strip it all down to get at the box. Which involves the 4 screws holding the bottom together. After all that you look in the box and it's empty. I'd check it out more if it didn't take so long.

It's just too much effort sometimes. First, if you have an OAK attached, you have to disconnect the hose and then you have to strip it all down to get at the box. Which involves the 4 screws holding the bottom together. After all that you look in the box and it's empty. I'd check it out more if it didn't take so long.

It doesn't sound like a lot of effort to me. and being as you can break something ...Δ-T said
that the vertical arm actually broke off the shaft runnning through the pillow blocks
its part of the deal. No flame intended;em

maybe, but if that thing packs off, you can strip the primary gear in your gearbox, which would cost you a new gearmotor.....maybe inconvenient, but still something that should be done....gearbox and labor....$$$$$$

Reactions: Delta-T
now how's a sevice tech supposed to stay in bidnezz with you all telling people how to keep their machines from breaking? ;)
.Δ-T said

its part of the deal. No flame intended;em

that was a very exceptional case...1000-1 the gearbox on the auger motor fails before the pusher arm.

agreed- never seen any failed pusher arms, but seen plenty of stripped primaries.......

Hello

Well here is another fines box from another P61a I got. This looks more like what Louseyweather was talking about! ! !

Also Fines Box Covers seem to slowly evolve on the P61 from the converted Pellet Pro II to the newer steel ones.

Below are the 1st and 2nd rev cast iron covers!

Attachments

• Fines Box almost Full of Fines.JPG
    Fines Box almost Full of Fines.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 311
  • Old P61 Fines Box Cover.JPG
    Old P61 Fines Box Cover.JPG
    339.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Newer P61 Fines Box Cover.JPG
    Newer P61 Fines Box Cover.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 236
On more than one occasion I've seen enough fines to require the use of a wrench to start the wing nut turning. I remove the plate and literally had to chip the dust out with a hammer and screw driver. Guessing maybe 10 years of operation without a cleaning...yikes!

Hello

Well here is another fines box from another P61a I got. This looks more like what Louseyweather was talking about! ! !

Also Fines Box Covers seem to slowly evolve on the P61 from the converted Pellet Pro II to the newer steel ones.

Below are the 1st and 2nd rev cast iron covers!

good pics, Don.......and the latest cover is a plate steel cover.....its been out for like 4 or 5 years now though......I wonder if you can get stratification in the fines box, like rings on a tree, to tell how long its been since its been cleaned?

Status
Not open for further replies.