How many get stressed over splitting wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i find that after i scrounge up some wood and bring it back to the splitting area, i will start getting the urge to split it, asap, even though i have dozens of other more pressing projects to work on in our house remodel. i feel like once the wood is split, my mind is more at ease. right now i'm in the middle of ~2 cords of cedar that i wasn't expecting to get (but couldn't turn down). i think it'll be 6 trailer hauls and i'm at 3. once done, i will rest and not get any more wood to split 'til 2017 (had to unsubscribe from the craiglist alert --- it's just too tempting).

No not stressed over splitting ive got enough split wood for 4 to 5 years possibly even more my problem is stacking it.

I have several large 5 foot tall round piles of split wood built up and can't seem to find the energy or time to stack it. I figure it needs 2 years to dry so it can stay in a pile another year

Someone needs to invent a machine that stacks wood for you

I have done this! They're called kids.

I've read a few posts around here lately of guys being stressed with the lack of time to split wood. I live in a climate that doesn't get to extreme lows very often but it can stay in the 30's for about 4 months on a cold year. It saves our electric bill about 300$ during a cold spell as we live in an old farm house.

I was looking at the huge pile of unsplit wood and found myself a bit stressed. We've had some bad storms roll through this year so I am way ahead on the wood pile. I have this years split and stacked for about a year now but just can't find the time to get the rest done to finally get ahead. New teaching job starting up, grass cutting is never ending until it's time to start burning. So yeah I can relate to those who stress over this stuff. :mad:
LOL... if you're getting stressed out over $300 per year, you're either being way too hard on yourself, or life has not been kind to you! Relax, be happy.

Burning wood saves me $3500 - $5000 per year in heating costs, if you ignore all that I've spent on saws, tractor, new trailer, multiple new stoves, etc. All-in, I'm sure I'm saving something, but not so much as to make the time worth it.

Burn wood because you enjoy it, knowing it's probably not costing you much. If you're not enjoying the process, it's really not worth it, IMO.

Reactions: woodhog73
I don't keep enough to get stressed, 3-4 cords on hand at any one time.

I don't like to have it laying around though, like to get it cut/stacked ASAP.

depending on the cost of heating oil, we save $1200 - 2500/yr burning 4 cords.

My saw is 20yrs old and my maul cost $20. My old tractor is used for many different things.

I keep track of my time and I'm earning about $10/hr clear while getting a great outdoor workout and enjoying warm ambience for the cold months.

That's why I've been doing it for 36 yrs

I was stress some 10 years ago when I restarted down this path. After 7 rears and being some 5 years ahead no stress- now I got stressed again as the dxxxxx city don't like my winter fuel due to some long nosed neighbor. So I said no problem I will switch to coal - no regs on that. - Haven't heard a word since. Oh I do have a NG furnace but hate using it , just being obstinate because I can. All I need now is a sterling type engine that I can run the AC compressor & condenser fan with- That will really give them fits.

Dude..the miser German engineer in me HAS to sav
I was stress some 10 years ago when I restarted down this path. After 7 rears and being some 5 years ahead no stress- now I got stressed again as the dxxxxx city don't like my winter fuel due to some long nosed neighbor. So I said no problem I will switch to coal - no regs on that. - Haven't heard a word since. Oh I do have a NG furnace but hate using it , just being obstinate because I can. All I need now is a sterling type engine that I can run the AC compressor & condenser fan with- That will really give them fits.

Buy a 2 stroke racing motorcycle and tune it all Saturday. I have had great success with this. Then work on your wheelies.

I just bought a furnace that can run wood or anthracite coal. A back up plan really if I can't find wood. But it's pretty tempting to order a couple ton and try it out.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If you switch to coal use bituminous for the nosy neighbors benefit.
I was going to for the price. But it actually voids the warranty. I was surprised. They said they get to many people burning high volatile bit coal and they pop welds or some such. And so for the warranty duration it will be hard coal only.
I have neighbors that burn softcoal. We are spread out enough to not notice it.

Burn wood because you enjoy it, knowing it's probably not costing you much. If you're not enjoying the process, it's really not worth it, IMO.

Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

Natural gas came in my area. The propane tank is gone. So I now have a 94 percent or something efficient natural gas furnace. I'm guessing I could heat my entire house on natural gas for roughly $1000 to $1500 a year ? Just a guess. At like 71 degree setting.

I burn wood because.....

1) I like processing firewood, like running saws, like splitting wood, have access to free wood, etc

2) I like a 78 to 80 degree house in middle of winter when it's minus -20 out in my cold north Midwest location, AND if I ran my gas furnace at 78 degrees or 80 degrees it would probably cost me closer to $2000 year plus in heat bills.

3) my natural gas heat as a back up only costs me $400 a year roughly

Dude..the miser German engineer in me HAS to sav

Buy a 2 stroke racing motorcycle and tune it all Saturday. I have had great success with this. Then work on your wheelies.

Just have to ask are we talking 2 stroke street bike stuff like the legendary early 70s kawasaki H2 or mid 80s yamaha rz350 ? Or off-road motocrossers like a early 90s kx250
Or cr500 ?

Ya I'm a sport bike guy too. Also a Harley guy. Harley Night train parked next to a Ducati 749. And a 1987 suzuki gsxr 1100 with 4,700 original miles . My version of a cream puff. I bought it brand new back in summer right after high school in 1990 as left over stock. and it's been with me ever since. Everyone at the time said it was too much bike. I didn't care.

The gsxr is a Sunday cruiser, the Ducati a track only bike ( I totaled it years ago and with only a salvage titled built it up to a track day bike only ) and the Harley my every day rider and with a slim seat on the harley a built in vibrator for my wife LOL

Sunday cruiser and track day whore :)

Last edited:
I can barely get my wife to allow me to watch a video of that machine, let alone buy one. :(

She says its a bad influence on me. Wants me to take up drinking instead. Safer.

Thus literally had me laughing out loud.

Reactions: HisTreeNut
Just have to ask are we talking 2 stroke street bike stuff like the legendary early 70s kawasaki H2 or mid 80s yamaha rz350 ? Or off-road motocrossers like a early 90s kx250
Or cr500 ?

Ya I'm a sport bike guy too. Also a Harley guy. Harley Night train parked next to a Ducati 749. And a 1987 suzuki gsxr 1100 with 4,700 original miles . My version of a cream puff. I bought it brand new back in summer right after high school in 1990 as left over stock. and it's been with me ever since. Everyone at the time said it was too much bike. I didn't care.

The gsxr is a Sunday cruiser, the Ducati a track only bike ( I totaled it years ago and with only a salvage titled built it up to a track day bike only ) and the Harley my every day rider and with a slim seat on the harley a built in vibrator for my wife LOL

Sunday cruiser and track day whore :)
Sounds like a good conversation for the Inglenook.

I wasn't stressed, till I read this post on weekend vacation then all I could think about is getting home and getting it done. Thanks everyone lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I did stress last year, and my wife thought I was insane, but now I have more wood than I even know what to do with and I have not even touched the stacks in months. (Except to MM test of course) I have a few cord in log form, just waiting to take the place of the splits this winter will eat up.

LOL... if you're getting stressed out over $300 per year, you're either being way too hard on yourself, or life has not been kind to you! Relax, be happy.

Burning wood saves me $3500 - $5000 per year in heating costs, if you ignore all that I've spent on saws, tractor, new trailer, multiple new stoves, etc. All-in, I'm sure I'm saving something, but not so much as to make the time worth it.

$300 a month

Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

Natural gas came in my area. The propane tank is gone. So I now have a 94 percent or something efficient natural gas furnace. I'm guessing I could heat my entire house on natural gas for roughly $1000 to $1500 a year ? Just a guess. At like 71 degree setting.

I burn wood because.....

1) I like processing firewood, like running saws, like splitting wood, have access to free wood, etc

2) I like a 78 to 80 degree house in middle of winter when it's minus -20 out in my cold north Midwest location, AND if I ran my gas furnace at 78 degrees or 80 degrees it would probably cost me closer to $2000 year plus in heat bills.

3) my natural gas heat as a back up only costs me $400 a year roughly
Pretty much what I've thought. I'm hooked and it keeps me in shape! Who doesn't like to run power tools and sweat a little.....or a lot. For me I like the sense of accomplishment of looking at the stacks knowing my bones will be warm in the coming winter. I walk my stacks on a weekly basis to knock them around a little to keep the leaners in check. Haven't had one tumble yet. I also enjoy the many different aromas from the various types of wood. Its a major de-stressor for me. I only stress a little if it lays in a heap too long untouched. Only because I can't find or make time to de-stress.

Reactions: Ashful and red oak
Pretty much what I've thought. I'm hooked and it keeps me in shape! Who doesn't like to run power tools and sweat a little.....or a lot. For me I like the sense of accomplishment of looking at the stacks knowing my bones will be warm in the coming winter. I walk my stacks on a weekly basis to knock them around a little to keep the leaners in check. Haven't had one tumble yet. I also enjoy the many different aromas from the various types of wood. Its a major de-stressor for me. I only stress a little if it lays in a heap too long untouched. Only because I can't find or make time to de-stress.

I thought I was the only one crazy enough to smell the wood in the stacks!

Last 4 days I've cut a load each day and brought it home - just a load in my Ranger so 4 loads equals a cord or a little more. I'm going to let it sit for a while and not think about it until it gets cooler - no stress at all. Now if I needed it for this winter I'd be stressing pretty good...

I will feel better once I get about 2 cords that are laying around split up. Borrowing a splitter for this week end. So I should be able to pound that out. Then I am at least half way to being done with winter 17-18
Really I worry more about will the stuff I stacked in February for this year burn okay.
And if not will I have enough money for my LP furnace.

This is the first year in actually educated and trying to get ahead.
I tested silver maple yesterday it's down to 18% a cherry split was 22% and an locust was 28%

I will feel better once I get about 2 cords that are laying around split up. Borrowing a splitter for this week end. So I should be able to pound that out. Then I am at least half way to being done with winter 17-18
Really I worry more about will the stuff I stacked in February for this year burn okay.
And if not will I have enough money for my LP furnace.

This is the first year in actually educated and trying to get ahead.
I tested silver maple yesterday it's down to 18% a cherry split was 22% and an locust was 28%

Maple will be good at 18%! The cherry should work fine at 22% if you mix it with the dry maple. The locust I would give another summer though. Thats just too high and going to kill your secondary combustion.

i figured out that last year with our first year burning, we saved between $100-$150/month, and we keep our house at 63 when we are gone, 67 when we are there. Most of the time the basement would be 58 or so, but when i put the wood stove in, i was able to sit down there in shorts (it would get to 75 rather quickly) Since i just bought the DHT22, and it is getting a little cooler, and I only have about 90000 other projects to get to, I might just take a day off next week and run the saw and the splitter while everyone is away. I enjoy splitting wood, I enjoy the cost savings, I enjoy the warmth, and I enjoy the view of the flames. I do not enjoy having large piles of rounds, logs, and other such things in about 8 different locations.

Maple will be good at 18%! The cherry should work fine at 22% if you mix it with the dry maple. The locust I would give another summer though. Thats just too high and going to kill your secondary combustion.
Yeah. I'm definitely going to be burning that stuff last. Its all from 1.5 cords I had bought in January. Yeah "seasoned" they say. Scam should be against the law. Everyone selling "seasoned" wood and it's cut split that day. People are missing out on 50% of there BTU.
If it doesn't come down by januarayish. I'll be ordering a ton of hard coal to see me through the winter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.