How many wood burning homes near you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gark

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2007
SW Michigan
A recent post (thanks, muncybob) got me wondering what percent of households nearby that burn wood at least halftime or better. Here it's only about 2-3 %. How about near you?

I 'd give a rough guess of 25%.

I have one neighbor, an elderly gentleman who burns for heat. Other than that no body else around me does. I love walking out of my house and smelling his stove as it reminds me of when I was a child cause my parents always burned. Now that I installed my stove I suppose it will make just the 2 of us burning.

Reactions: Gark and Ashful
Immediate neighbors, about 25% have stoves, but most don't burn a whole lot. Maybe 5% countywide burn as a primary source.

Just about everyone in Maine......

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
For Primary Heat....not a one...well except for me. Some people(3-5%) have wood burning stoves as a secondary source and almost everyone has a fireplace for a wasted source of heat!!!

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
I'd guess less than 25% total, probably less than 10% as primary heat.

As far as I know ,I'm the only one that heats primarily with wood on the road that I live on . But, then again , come October there are quite a few folks that go by with a bed load of fresh cut rounds .;-)

I'm the only one in my immediate area of the canyon that burns full time. But only one house in a 2 mile radius doesn't burn. He's lazy.

One other family burns full time on our road. We have a couple part timers that burn now and then.

Just one couple across the street from me, no one else I know of in my small neighborhood. He gets his wood freshly cut in sept/oct for the year, I expect to see his house in flames someday.

Quite a few people around me burn wood as I live in a pretty rural area. I've come to notice the last several years how their wood piles start to get bigger this time of year. I remember when August used to signal to me that it was time to get the wood for the coming winter. Now I'm several years ahead and don't have to worry about it. Anyway, to answer the original question I would say 40-50% around me burn wood as at least a secondary source of heat.

Within 10 miles ~50% burn full time.

Out of 18 houses: 10 less that 25% of their heating needs, 4 about 50 to 75%, and 4 over 75%

All of the houses on our street have some type of wood burning appliance. 8 have fireplaces they use occasionally for ambiance fires. 4 fireplaces are used almost every cold night. There are three smoke dragons I know of, one of which is used full time. There are three EPA stoves used for 75% to 100% of heating needs. One is a Jøtul 550 that is run like a smoke dragon, smokes the whole block out every cold day. His glass is so black you can never see the fire. He knows he is burning correctly so it must just be a bad stove design. Another EPA was installed last January. After a couple of smoky fires I offered him some advice on burning and he accepted. Walked over with a wheelbarrow load of dry oak and showed him how his stove could burn. He burned eco logs mixed with his not quite seasoned wood last year and started gathering for this season then and there.

KaptJaq

Reactions: Gark and fishingpol
Out of 18 houses: 10 less that 25% of their heating needs, 4 about 50 to 75%, and 4 over 75%

All of the houses on our street have some type of wood burning appliance. 8 have fireplaces they use occasionally for ambiance fires. 4 fireplaces are used almost every cold night. There are three smoke dragons I know of, one of which is used full time. There are three EPA stoves used for 75% to 100% of heating needs. One is a Jøtul 550 that is run like a smoke dragon, smokes the whole block out every cold day. His glass is so black you can never see the fire. He knows he is burning correctly so it must just be a bad stove design. Another EPA was installed last January. After a couple of smoky fires I offered him some advice on burning and he accepted. Walked over with a wheelbarrow load of dry oak and showed him how his stove could burn. He burned eco logs mixed with his not quite seasoned wood last year and started gathering for this season then and there.

KaptJaq

Thats good that your neighbor took your advice, mine looked at me like I had three heads, he thinks Im nuts to have over 10 cords in my yard and to spend so much time playing with my wood.

Where I live (Sound Beach) there are a lot of wood burners compared to the town I grew up in (Smithtown). My next door neighbor is a full time wood burner. He's an old timer who burns in what is commonly referred to as a smoke dragon, only he burns that baby clean as you can imagine. I have another few neighbors I know burn full time on my block. Oddly enough, one of the previous owners of my house was obsessed with wood burning. He had a wood stove in what is now my diningroom, and had plumbing running through my fireplace with a circulator for hot water.

I'd guess 12-15% on my block burn almost full time.

I lead the league in wood burning in my neck of the woods, I have one nieghbor ( about a 1/4 mile away) that has a wood pile by his garage other than that nothing.

I'm noticing more wood piles around town (even in summer!) in the last few years. But out of the 10 houses on my street I'm pretty certain I'm the only one who burns wood.

I never noticeduntil I started to burn, but there are a good number of houses....Not as many that should, but thats good cause I grab the tree removal guys when I see them...Maybe 20%.

I would say there are quiet a few burners around here, maybe 20% of my neighborhood is true full time burners, but I would say a solid 40-50% have some form of wood stacked up in their yards.

I notice about 50% of the houses within 5 miles of mine have a fire going when I'm on my way home from work during the cold. Most of them smoky as hell so either just getting a cold stove going or burning improperly. My next door neighbor has a boiler he burns for primary heat. He'll start cutting his wood in a few weeks.

Probably no one heats exclusively with wood near me, many have fire places and a few have wood burners. I burn all the time but still need backup heat.

I could probably count on one hand all the people I know (not including my e-quaintances on this site) who's primary heat source is wood...and people who burn wood at all on the other.

I live in backwoods rural Indiana and, if I had to guess, I'd say that < 5% burn wood at all. It's all propane and heat pumps anymore. The outdoor boilers made a run a few years ago, but I think once people realized it was more work than setting the T-Stat they abandoned them rapidly. Back in the late 80's and early 90's LOTS of my friend's parent's burned...but they got older and got more money and gave it up...and their kids didn't continue the tradition.

Reactions: Gark
I don't really know, but would guess around 25-75%.:p
I know for sure of one at the end of the road, but there are only 6 houses on this road. There's at least a couple more close by.
Depends what you mean by "near".
I'll see log loads or empty log trucks pretty much every time I'm driving somewhere. Some of it's going to mills, or firewood suppliers, but I'm sure some is also going to homes. Quite a few pickups full too. Plenty of yards with stacks, or a lean-to full. Some even have woodsheds.
I'll have to get a count some day.

probably at least 80% its odd to drive by a house and NOT see wood stacks up here. On a calm morning with no wind you usually hear several chainsaws going with a lovely smell of 2 stroke lingering in the valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.