How much can/does wood season in a month or two?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.
Yeah, electronic meters are very inaccurate for anything above 28-30%. This was done by weight, based on small samples which I oven-dried within hours of the time that each tree came down.

VERY GOOD! I love it when someone actually takes it upon themself to do some real research. Glad you're doing the oven dry method, much more accurate than a meter. The curve for mulberry is interesting, looks like it might take just as long as oak.

Thanks.

Yeah, electronic meters are very inaccurate for anything above 28-30%. This was done by weight, based on small samples which I oven-dried within hours of the time that each tree came down.

What a great method! It would add a cool layer of irony if you were using a wood fired oven to do it!!:cool: But then somebody would claim that an electric oven gives different results!! Really, it's a different kind of 105C.;lol

I will add that with all the testing battenkiller did with the oven drying methods he stated MM's (he had a cheap HF one) worked good enough for the average wood burner.
For testing purposes the oven drying is the way to go.

Reactions: MrWhoopee
Here's a graph or some ongoing tests I started earlier this year. So far, this represents about 7-9 months of drying time, uncovered in a sunny location in Pittsburgh. It's not a great dataset, since I've only been measuring one split from each species and they're not even all the same size or cut at the same time, but it might give you a general idea. MC plummets in the first couple of months after cutting green wood, but the trend doesn't last...

View attachment 114897

Great chart!

The curve for mulberry is interesting, looks like it might take just as long as oak.

I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes over the next several months. The mulberry started out around 88%, whereas the Oak was more like 80%, so it may just be catching up.

Status
Not open for further replies.