How much does a chimney cost?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It’s been 2 months now of demo, having the side of my house opened up, discovering additional issues , 4 checks written for amounts I’d rather not think about...

.... and my Chimney is still not on the house:eek:

Reactions: Shrewboy
It’s been 2 months now of demo, having the side of my house opened up, discovering additional issues , 4 checks written for amounts I’d rather not think about...

.... and my Chimney is still not on the house:eek:

I concur. Our chimney repair is starting up this week (weather permitting). The amount of money needed to replace the top 30 courses, part of the clay liner, new stainless steel crown cover, etc....makes me want to cry and consider why I didn't pursue a career in brick laying.

Reactions: Rob_Red
I'm like brenndatomu giving sympathy--cry, cry--eich--ek and more ek....Wait till I get my bill and for now for "years and years' I might very well have just cement board up --ready for something because of the prices...I feel for you for half your house is open...chin up and put music on ---get a lawn chair and just look at it with a cup of coffee--that's what I say--put something sweet in the coffee too...

Reactions: Rob_Red
Mine was probably 13k a few years back.

It also included the chimney in the center of the house. That one was just roofline up though.

F4A9E9F4-435B-4A39-9CE9-DC04BC4204EA.jpeg

Sorry, but $13G is Highway robbery!
That is for 2 chimneys and we don't know how extensive the rebuild on the fireplace chimney was. It may be high but if it was a full rebuild on that fireplace chimney it is actually kind of low.

Reactions: Raoul
Mine was probably 13k a few years back.

It also included the chimney in the center of the house. That one was just roofline up though.

View attachment 278420

That’s beautiful!

My project includes:

Knocking down the existing chimney block constructed chimney (which uncovered some scary stuff)

Re sheathing and re siding the void

Fixing rot that was found

Installing a class a

It’s been an adventure. Although I’m glad we went for it as we would have without a doubt had a bad house fire if this wasn’t corrected

I will be starting a thread with pics once done.

I figure any skilled labor for a two person crew is ballpark 1,000$ a day. Add materials to that 13k may or may be a deal but quality craftsmanship is not cheap.

Reactions: Raoul and bholler

Well the one chimney is 25’ tall. That was a full tear down and rebuild. Inside and out. The footing if you could even call it that had failed. I guess I should add I paid another guy $500 to drive pilings in where the new pad went.

It was all permitted etc.

Hell it was low bid.

Reactions: bholler
Well the one chimney is 25’ tall. That was a full tear down and rebuild. Inside and out. The footing if you could even call it that had failed. I guess I should add I paid another guy $500 to drive pilings in where the new pad went.

It was all permitted etc.

Hell it was low bid.
You got a good price. I would have been quite a bit higher than that on just the rebuild of the fireplace and it's chimney.

You got a good price. I would have been quite a bit higher than that on just the rebuild of the fireplace and it's chimney.

I agree, it was a good price. Our rebuild of the top 30 courses, new flashing, liner repair, new SS crown, and water proofing spray amounts to $8700. Most of the bids were over $10,000.

I agree, it was a good price. Our rebuild of the top 30 courses, new flashing, liner repair, new SS crown, and water proofing spray amounts to $8700. Most of the bids were over $10,000.
I wouldn't recommend waterproofing. If they built it correctly it is completely un needed. I personally prefer a poured masonry crown but nothing wrong with stainless at all either.