How much does a chimney cost?

Rob_Red

Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
It’s been 2 months now of demo, having the side of my house opened up, discovering additional issues , 4 checks written for amounts I’d rather not think about...

.... and my Chimney is still not on the house:eek:

Reactions: Shrewboy

Russn77

Jan 20, 2021
North Central Ohio
It’s been 2 months now of demo, having the side of my house opened up, discovering additional issues , 4 checks written for amounts I’d rather not think about...

.... and my Chimney is still not on the house:eek:

I concur. Our chimney repair is starting up this week (weather permitting). The amount of money needed to replace the top 30 courses, part of the clay liner, new stainless steel crown cover, etc....makes me want to cry and consider why I didn't pursue a career in brick laying.

Reactions: Rob_Red

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio

clancey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
I'm like brenndatomu giving sympathy--cry, cry--eich--ek and more ek....Wait till I get my bill and for now for "years and years' I might very well have just cement board up --ready for something because of the prices...I feel for you for half your house is open...chin up and put music on ---get a lawn chair and just look at it with a cup of coffee--that's what I say--put something sweet in the coffee too...

Reactions: Rob_Red

Raoul

Aug 25, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Mine was probably 13k a few years back.

It also included the chimney in the center of the house. That one was just roofline up though.

F4A9E9F4-435B-4A39-9CE9-DC04BC4204EA.jpeg

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Sorry, but $13G is Highway robbery!
That is for 2 chimneys and we don't know how extensive the rebuild on the fireplace chimney was. It may be high but if it was a full rebuild on that fireplace chimney it is actually kind of low.

Reactions: Raoul

Rob_Red

Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Mine was probably 13k a few years back.

It also included the chimney in the center of the house. That one was just roofline up though.

View attachment 278420

That’s beautiful!

My project includes:

Knocking down the existing chimney block constructed chimney (which uncovered some scary stuff)

Re sheathing and re siding the void

Fixing rot that was found

Installing a class a

It’s been an adventure. Although I’m glad we went for it as we would have without a doubt had a bad house fire if this wasn’t corrected

I will be starting a thread with pics once done.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
I figure any skilled labor for a two person crew is ballpark 1,000$ a day. Add materials to that 13k may or may be a deal but quality craftsmanship is not cheap.

Reactions: Raoul and bholler

Raoul

Aug 25, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Well the one chimney is 25’ tall. That was a full tear down and rebuild. Inside and out. The footing if you could even call it that had failed. I guess I should add I paid another guy $500 to drive pilings in where the new pad went.

It was all permitted etc.

Hell it was low bid.

Reactions: bholler

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Well the one chimney is 25’ tall. That was a full tear down and rebuild. Inside and out. The footing if you could even call it that had failed. I guess I should add I paid another guy $500 to drive pilings in where the new pad went.

It was all permitted etc.

Hell it was low bid.
You got a good price. I would have been quite a bit higher than that on just the rebuild of the fireplace and it's chimney.

Russn77

Jan 20, 2021
North Central Ohio
You got a good price. I would have been quite a bit higher than that on just the rebuild of the fireplace and it's chimney.
I agree, it was a good price. Our rebuild of the top 30 courses, new flashing, liner repair, new SS crown, and water proofing spray amounts to $8700. Most of the bids were over $10,000.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
I agree, it was a good price. Our rebuild of the top 30 courses, new flashing, liner repair, new SS crown, and water proofing spray amounts to $8700. Most of the bids were over $10,000.
I wouldn't recommend waterproofing. If they built it correctly it is completely un needed. I personally prefer a poured masonry crown but nothing wrong with stainless at all either.