How much does it cost you run your pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you pay tax?

The short answer is because the ruling class says we have to. Here in New York State it is up to each county to decide if it wants to tax home heating fuel. I live in Westchester County where they have decided to take another 3% out of our pocket on heating cost. By the way, they charge the full 7.25% sales tax on the delivery fee. I forgot to add tax to the cost of oil, so my savings are actuallyt a bit greater than I described.

my stove draws 45 watts for fans, and another 50 for aurger turn running on medium. so it probably averages out to 65 ish watts average draw. Ignitor of course uses 500+ but its only for a few min.

I figured the cost of the electricity on my unit right now (It will go up as it cycles more & more, due to cold weather).
I'm spending approximately 30 cents per DAY on electricity for the pellet stove. That's less than 10 dollars a month! If the unit is running 24/7, it should be about 18 dollars per month.
Not bad!

P.S. Those numbers are for running the unit on HIGH. 50% cycle time right now in not-too-cold weather, and 100% "on" sometime in maybe February.
Fact is, I've never run the unit on high yet! I don't know how much power the CAB50 uses on low, but I have a meter coming to give me exact numbers.

Reactions: Mpodesta
P.S. Those numbers are for running the unit on HIGH. 50% cycle time right now in not-too-cold weather, and 100% "on" sometime in maybe February.
Fact is, I've never run the unit on high yet! I don't know how much power the CAB50 uses on low, but I have a meter coming to give me exact numbers.

Let us know how it turns out. I'd be interested in knowing seeing as we have the same unit (other than aesthetics )

Let us know how it turns out. I'd be interested in knowing seeing as we have the same unit (other than aesthetics )

I'll post the wattage used on low, medium & high along with kWh expected per month, then the total cost for each
Now that the weather is getting cold I'm sure my stove will cycle a bit more. So far, I've only run it on low, and it heats the house nicely. I figure the cycle time is about 50/50 on low.

I'll post the wattage used on low, medium & high along with kWh expected per month, then the total cost for each
Now that the weather is getting cold I'm sure my stove will cycle a bit more. So far, I've only run it on low, and it heats the house nicely. I figure the cycle time is about 50/50 on low.

I'm on high (to help move the heat into the kitchen and up stairs) and on about 75% of the time (T-stat set to 72 right now). My heat loss is attributed to major drafts that im tackling 1 by 1

I'm on high (to help move the heat into the kitchen and up stairs) and on about 75% of the time (T-stat set to 72 right now). My heat loss is attributed to major drafts that im tackling 1 by 1
I think cutting drafts is the #1 way to cut heating costs! Insulation helps a lot BUT If you add up all those leaky doors, windows, the fireplace flue that doesn't close all the way with the damper, the old basement coal chute that was never sealed up properly... it all could add up to a 3 foot square hole in the house!
I have a friend that had a energy study done to his house. They put a fan in the door, seal everything up & check the pressure inside vs. outside the house. they can tell you exactly how bit a "hole" everything adds up to! Kinda neat.

thermostat stays 71 deg, avg about 4-5 ton a year. live in a 1800 sq ft cape. good insulation except the floors above the basement. so roughly $1100 a yr. (averaging $220 a ton )
haven't filled the oil tank since installing the pellet stoves. have used about 1/3 rd of a tank of oil in 3 yrs. the best year I had heating with oil Forced air was over 2K.

My impression, from comparing the winter before I got the pellet stove to the one after, is that it's costing $10-15 a month in electricity, @ 17 cents/kwh.

My impression, from comparing the winter before I got the pellet stove to the one after, is that it's costing $10-15 a month in electricity, @ 17 cents/kwh.
You pay 17 cents a kWh? Youch!
I looked mine up... 8.05 cents per kWh with Penelec.

Status
Not open for further replies.