How much oil have you burned so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I turn my thermostat down to about 50 degrees when I go on winter vacations. Between burning the fireplace and doing the thermostat thing, I save lots of oil.
Two of my daughters were home so 50 is much too cold.. Minimum temp was 64 then 67 when they were home... FHW takes a long time to recover if you set it too cold..

Ray

I have oil, propane, and wood. Since July, I have used 771 gallons of oil, 4.3 cords of wood, and an undetermined amount of propane (too dark to go look at the tank). We have had 3915 heating degree days, versus 4518 YTD for an average year, so we should be using roughly 13% less fuel than an average year.

We have hired help staying at the house when we go on vacation, and they are not allowed to touch the stoves. So more oil was burned during the one week we were on vacation, than when we're home. We have had one stove online all season, minus one week for repair, and the second online since mid-January.

Status
Not open for further replies.