How Much Wood can a Wood Stove Burn? Article 2009

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen . . . there are rules and then there are rules . . . a lot depends on who the inspector is as I've seen good and bad -- some who let the power go to their head and some who use common sense . . . and a lot depends on the rules themselves and in this case it seems to me that the rule is not really all that well written . . . and finally a lot depends on the persons involved -- sometimes who you are or who the complaintant is makes a big difference in how far the city employees, City Council or Town Fathers will go towards enforcing or backing off a ruling.

firefighterjake said:
From what I've seen . . . there are rules and then there are rules . . . a lot depends on who the inspector is as I've seen good and bad -- some who let the power go to their head and some who use common sense . . . and a lot depends on the rules themselves and in this case it seems to me that the rule is not really all that well written . . . and finally a lot depends on the persons involved -- sometimes who you are or who the complaintant is makes a big difference in how far the city employees, City Council or Town Fathers will go towards enforcing or backing off a ruling.

Very true

Would be great if he had the means to fight the arbitrary 3 cord limit. To shut down people who use illogical decisions to stand on their soapbox as on this website...

http://www.burning-issues.net/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3458&start=0

ridiculous stuff like this.

Re: How much wood can a wood stove burn?
by Woodnyet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 am

This may be one way to control city burning: limit the amount of (kiln-dried) firewood which
the city-dweller can own at one time, to whatever amount is used for a three hour fireplace.
(about the amount seen in the small department store bundles for sale) At least this would
limit the amount of burning, because the burner isn't going to drive to the store every day to
buy a new bundle of wood to burn.

For those who would balk at a law which limits the amount of firewood city-burner can possess,
consider that you are limited in a lot of things: the amount of alcohol you can ferment (wine
and beer, you cannot distill spirits without a license) You are limited on certain prescription
drugs (with narcotic content) You are limited on guns (cannot own a silencer, automatic,
or a cannon) You are limited to a certain speed limit on the road and must wear a seat belt.
Limits are everywhere. They are reasonable to have.

My town has a "firewood" law which regulates where woodpiles can be stacked, height, etc.
A simple amendment to this already-existing law would suffice. As this town has grown from
rural (in the 1950s when the law was written,) it can be rewritten to accommodate a fastly-
growing population, needing some protection from second hand smoke poisonings.

That's a start.

Typical of our government system.
"It's not fire wood, it's a fence" :)
I'd make a new fence out of splits along the property line, 2 or 3 rows deep,
maybe a law says you can't make a fence out of wood ??
They have to make rules to be doing their job. (or so they think anyway)
Make a rule for a few (or one complainer with political pull) that effects many & the government rule book grows larger ;)
No doubt every day we each break some unknown government rule/law, now if someone complains, then the enforcement folks show up.

Post the property no trespassing, yes that applies to municipal employees in many towns & townships, the minute they step over the property line begin prosecution proceedings. They usually back off, if not get the case in front of a jury before they get a dime. Most times 12 jurors will not hand out guilty verdicts unless a real crime has been committed. It's a pita, but seems to end better for the property owner in most cases. A C

Damn! this makes me dizzy and pissed off. Or maybe I should be happy as to were I own a home and do as I please.

I do not take well to confrontation and politics.

KC

Next thing you know they'll be makings rules as to how many cats and dogs he can keep on his property, or how many junked cars he can park around his place.. It's shameful. ;-P

Carbon_Liberator said:
Next thing you know they'll be makings rules as to how many cats and dogs he can keep on his property, or how many junked cars he can park around his place.. It's shameful. ;-P

If they have rules on wood you can gaurentee that they already have those. Most counties at least in this state and i know the cities have ordanences about # or animals like cats one can have. My wife works as a vet Asst. They service the humane society office from her vet office with vaccines and surgeries. Anyway i think that lady that runs it told her there is a limit but it is not enforced really unless there is neglect. Even if a neighbor complained (unless they had good pull) that you had 8 cats and the rule states 6 if all were well cared for vaccinated fed and boxes clean if inside they would not do anything. And i know most cities here have junk car ordinances.

Thankfully i live in a tiny town of a few hundred so we dont have these type rules.

clemsonfor said:
Carbon_Liberator said:

If they have rules on wood you can guarantee that they already have those. Most counties at least in this state and i know the cities have ordinances about # or animals like cats one can have. My wife works as a vet Asst. They service the humane society office from her vet office with vaccines and surgeries. Anyway i think that lady that runs it told her there is a limit but it is not enforced really unless there is neglect. Even if a neighbor complained (unless they had good pull) that you had 8 cats and the rule states 6 if all were well cared for vaccinated fed and boxes clean if inside they would not do anything. And i know most cities here have junk car ordinances.

Thankfully i live in a tiny town of a few hundred so we dont have these type rules.

Clemson, I'm pretty sure Carbon's comment was very tongue-in-cheek. The point is... there are ordinances that are necessary when people live in close proximity. Proclaiming " It's my property and I pay taxes and I can do whatever I want" just doesn't fly. Codes and deed restrictions are there to protect you as well as your neighbor. Suppose your neighbor wanted to turn his house into a strip club and blast techno-pop/rock music from the backyard dance floor all night long. Would you still claim he has a right to do so? As long as he pays his taxes, right?

Your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. The neighbor has a right to enjoy their backyard without having to look at ugly, unsightly wood piles, or listening to 20 mutts howling and barking every time they step outside, or having a bunch of neighborhood cats digging up the flower beds. Or maybe the 80 year old Granny next door likes to do her gardening naked. We think a nice stack of firewood is a thing of beauty.
Your neighbor might think a cell phone tower in his front yard is a thing of beauty, or a pink and orange striped paint job on his house.

Having said all of this, sometimes their are simple and overlooked solutions. Why not put up a six foot tall wooden fence around the back yard. Then no one could see your wood stacks from the front of your house, or from your neighbors back yard. If I can't see it, I'm not offended. That would go for junk cars, or ugly wood piles, or nekkid Grannies. If this guy would have put up a fence when the neighbor first complained, he'd (most likely) still have his seven cords of wood and would have saved himself a lot of hassle and grief and aggravation.
Plus, a fence would keep his wood from getting pilfered, something that could easily happen with that three foot high cyclone fence.

If this was England, and home owners were told they could only have a cord of wood on their property, I reckon there would be a few boats filled with new wave of Pilgrim Fathers heading out of Plymouth......

Of course, I'd be tempted to hide the woodpiles and lay out a small amount of wood over the whole garden so the next satellite picture shows at least 30 cords from above.......

But I probably think like a friend of ours down the road, who was banned from keeping a cockerel after his next door neighbours went mad about the noise.

He no longer has a cockerel, but he plays a loud tape recording of it every morning after the next door neighbours have had a late night party........ ;-)

woodchip said:
Of course, I'd be tempted to hide the woodpiles and lay out a small amount of wood over the whole garden so the next satellite picture shows at least 30 cords from above.......

...Ummmmm.... Like this? http://tinyurl.com/7obbxxv

Not many wood piles can be seen from space.. This might be an exception.. Neighbors aren't thrilled, but nothing has been done about it.. All of his wood is free..

He's got a few antique cars and boats and other stuff too. Not the typical property for the neighborhood..

Status
Not open for further replies.