How much wood do I need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess 2.6 cords.
I also guess you're going to be darn toasty!

First year with your new stove I'm going to guess 2-2/3 cord. Partly due to the urge for a fire before you really need it, and I'd add an additional 1/3cord if Mrs. SB is home full time. The air damper will probably stay open mostly due to the fireview your new toy has. In takes a while to convince them it's putting off heat without roaring flames - experience here speaking.

I've settled on having ~ 3.5 cords ready for each season, and I'm near abouts the same size house and climate as you(probably a little warmer). Figure 3/4cord of shoulder wood (pine/poplar) and save the primo oak/hickory for the colder months. I don't think I've burned more than 2.5cords since putting the stove in, but I can't say i really keep track as my wood is dispersed through several stacking areas in the woods.

I may have to break out the slide rule to get a winner here :p
Is that 3.14 as in (pi) 3.141592..... :)

Actually, sounds pretty close to me too, although it'll depend a lot on how warm you like to have it. My elderly neighbor used almost 5 cords for his tight small ranchhouse this past year, while I would've been closer to 3.5 for the full year (only started in January) for a 2 story, relatively leaky 100-year old farmhouse. Did I mention I handed each log of that 5 cords one by one through his window well to him in the basement?? I digress...

And we complain if our bill ever hits $60 per month!

You still live in the dark ages;)
Highest mine has ever been with a 32yo Rudd unit is $162, winter months taper off to 70-80ish. If I could only ban the hair dryer and straightening iron I'd more than likely knock it down a few more bucks -
I pick my battles though. Atleast I've convinced her that the clothes in her closet aren't afraid of the dark:cool:

Reactions: ScotO
SouthernBreeze, by now you've no doubt caught onto the fact that none of us here (or anywhere else) can predict with any remote semblance of certainty how much wood you'll need to get you through the upcoming heating season. Just have as much as you can manage available. This season you'll learn a lot. You'll learn a bit more every season to come. One thing I predict with confidence is that your wood consumption will be a bit (or even a lot) different every season, as the seasons are highly variable. You'll do fine, I'm sure. Rick

Thanks for all the replies, it has helped me to determine, at least in the ballpark, what to expect. I currently have about 2 cords (seasoned), 2 cords (so-so seasoned) and 2 cords that I really hope I don't need to burn this year. All are c/s/s and I'm still working to try to get ahead so I don't have to worry about having seasoned wood to burn.

Rick, I'm sure I will learn a lot this season and honestly, thanks to the great support on this forum, I already have. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute more next season to the other newbies that will have the same questions that I had.

...Hopefully, I will be able to contribute more next season to the other newbies that will have the same questions that I had.

Of that I have no doubt. :cool:

id say 2.25 to 3 cords. I burned about 2 cords last winter, but it was warmer but i also dont have much insulation and a large house???

Total, I have about 2 cord c/s/s. I have about another cord and a half (maybe 2) of red oak that's been on the ground for 2 years that I'm going to split this weekend. I have no idea how dry/wet that's going to be...your point is probably valid that I will be burning, at least some, less that desirable wood this winter.
I say 2.5 cords....that Red Oak will be "less than desirable" I would think. Way less. A lot depends on how warm you like to keep it, but with all dry wood and better technique I would say 2 cords after this year.

I'm on the Cumberland Plateau near Fall Creek Falls State Park. We average around 3 cords a year, with a lot of "shoulder season" burning. Last year was very mild, so I probably used only 1/2 to 2/3 that amount. However, our house is not the most insulated and weather tight.

And we complain if our bill ever hits $60 per month!
Do you use lights or cook anything? You obviously have a computer of some sort? So you have solar pannels? No hot water heater? Or your power company charges 5 cents a Kilowatt hour, unlike mine that charges $0.13/hr

My bills with no heat or air run $100 give or take 10 a month!! Yes i live in a 3000sqft house but with no heat or air running it does not matter if it were 1000sqft. We only use lights in rooms were in, we cook a little bit, have a 30 gallon hot water heater. Its just the 2 of us, so like i said if were not running air it dosent matter if were in a 3000sqft or 1000sqft house as we usually only have 1-3 lightbulbs on (CFL's) a tv and a fan and the PC. Plus the few chargers and alarm clocks etc.

Do you use lights or cook anything? You obviously have a computer of some sort? So you have solar pannels? No hot water heater? Or your power company charges 5 cents a Kilowatt hour, unlike mine that charges $0.13/hr

My bills with no heat or air run $100 give or take 10 a month!! Yes i live in a 3000sqft house but with no heat or air running it does not matter if it were 1000sqft. We only use lights in rooms were in, we cook a little bit, have a 30 gallon hot water heater. Its just the 2 of us, so like i said if were not running air it dosent matter if were in a 3000sqft or 1000sqft house as we usually only have 1-3 lightbulbs on (CFL's) a tv and a fan and the PC. Plus the few chargers and alarm clocks etc.

I don't know why our utility bills seem to be much lower than others. I have a home office so I am here during the day most days, we cook breakfast every morning and dinner almost every night. In the summer, our thermostat is set on 72 and about 70 in the winter. We have 2 flat screens that are on constantly in the evenings (my wife doesn't care for the programs I watch and visa versa). We have a 30 gallon water heater, no solar. With that said, I can only assume that we have a very well insulated house. We also have a zoned heat pump system that makes it more efficient to run. I know with our old heating system, it was costing me a fortune to heat the house in the winter with LP gas. BTW, our electric company charges about $0.11/Kwh.

But like i said with NO AC or heat running my bills are in the $90-100/month range. My house is not well insulated but if im not running any heat or air it takes this out of the equation. The only thing runing is TV, lights, chargers, water heater, stove, micrwave, etc??

But like i said with NO AC or heat running my bills are in the $90-100/month range. My house is not well insulated but if im not running any heat or air it takes this out of the equation. The only thing runing is TV, lights, chargers, water heater, stove, micrwave, etc??

That's about the same as mine with no heat/ac. Usually, in March/April and September/October we rarely run the HVAC and our utility bill is about $100. With AC in July & August, it's usually $180-$200. Same in the winter (December, January & sometimes February) usually runs $180-200.

We do have propane for cooking and water heating. We did have solar panels on our motor home but sold that a few years ago. Sadly, we used to have that nickle per Kwh but are like you now.

There are just 2 of us but we try to live a bit frugal if possible. We run few lights. Normal summer sees the air condition running maybe 6-8 days. Occasionally we never turn the air on during a summer but not so this year. No fan on stove. We do not watch television and I hate alarm clocks.

OK backwoods, that makes a bit more sense. If you heat water and cook on propane. If i did that i bet i could reduce $50month maybe? $40 easy i know. We are frugal as possible, we watch TV (plenty of it, tv on maybe 4-6 hours a day at most) but only have 1 CFL bulb on a 100W equivalent on as we watch. We have CFLs in all the bulbs we turn on in a normal day, a few times a week we will turn on a non CFL, so its not like we use tons of lights.

Comparing electric bills is an exercise in futility. Some people have well pumps. Some don't. Some have this and that and some don't. Some have efficient fridges and open the door once a week. Some have inefficient ones and open the door once an hour. Some have pump up drain fields, others gravity and others on sewer systems. We have a deep well so our hot water bill would be more than somebody on municipal water just because the stuff is ice water when it goes in the water heater. Year around. And is electrically pushed 105 feet up and 100 over to get to the house. Too many house and life style variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.