How much wood do you still have left?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
late february in MA, and getting up to nearly 50 degrees. march can be very volatile, but so far i have used less wood (and propane_) than previous years. probably still have about 3/4 of a cord out of 2.

Only 4 more fires, and some more sassafras that needs further splitting and drying near a hot stove for a few days to get ready. So I hope March will be kind...

Been in the 40s for past couple days. Feels like heaven compared the deep freeze we were in for a month...
Got about 11 cord CSS left and about 3 cord bucked needing to be split. Was busy over the last year getting ahead.

What I have left of what was set aside for this year...is around 3/4 a cord. If march is anything near normal I should be just right on what I planned for. I do have another 12 cord stacked and ready for the next 4 winters which is about as much as I like to keep.

i've got less than 1/3 of a cord left in this year's stacks, but i've started dipping into next years and mixing it in. i'm in the process of getting ahead again for years 3&4, and i'm going to pilfer about 1.5 cords out of that and split it up real small so that i can use it next winter (ash).

Down to about 54.5 cord (full) after selling 5 cord last spring and what I burned this winter (~3 cord so far)....have 8 or so bucked and waiting to be split/stacked in spring though. ==c

Down to about 54.5 cord (full) after selling 5 cord last spring and what I burned this winter (~3 cord so far)....have 8 or so bucked and waiting to be split/stacked in spring though. ==c

fifty four and a half cords? Holy moly. You need to become my friend :)

Reactions: MissMac and NickW
fifty four and a half cords? Holy moly. You need to become my friend :)

The 5 cord I sold a guy last spring burned it this winter. I asked him how he liked it. This was his response.
It's good stuff. The wood I was burning previous two years wasn't bad or so I thought. It was dead standing oak and probably seasoned 14-18 months. Compared to this, it may as well have been green.

It's a nice feeling knowing I don't have to cut. I can go out during the winter when I feel like it and don't feel obligated to do so.

Do you deliver to Northern NY?

Reactions: NickW
Out of the roughly 14 cords my woodshed holds I have about 9 cords left. And out of that, I would say around 3 cords is burnable, ready to go. The rest is burr oak that's going to need another 2-3 yrs to dry. I also have close to 6 cords in the yard, stacked on extra pallets and waiting to go into the woodshed. I like to have at least 6 cords waiting in the yard at any given time, and those cords will begin to dry while waiting their turn to go into the shed :)

Of the 4 1/2 cord I brought in for the winter., I have about 1 1/2 left. It's been a very mild winter here so I expect to have some left after the last fire this spring.

Reactions: NickW and Zombie
Of the 4 1/2 cord I brought in for the winter., I have about 1 1/2 left. It's been a very mild winter here so I expect to have some left after the last fire this spring.

yep, outside of those 10 or 12 days recently, it's been pretty mild. Although it's been cool enough to keep the snow on the ground for all the winter sports peeps. It seems most winters lately we have had a few days here and there which melt a lot of the snow pack. We didn't have that this year.

Last edited:
Think I recall seeing a pic of your field of wood stacks. You sir, have an addiction. Not a bad one.

Reactions: D8Chumley and NickW
Think I recall seeing a pic of your field of wood stacks. You sir, have an addiction. Not a bad one.

What's weird is I don't feel like I am out in the woods all that much. I go out for 3-4 hours on various Saturday's and Sunday's mostly from December through February. It gives me something to do, as I see it as a hobby and as a gym membership all in one. ;lol

Started the winter with 5 cord dry sugar maple and red Oak in the basement.
been a fairly mild winter and a new wood furnace. Have used less than 2 cord so about 3 a 1/3
of a cord left and only and only a month and a half of 24 hour heat days. So I may use in total 2 and 1/3 cords
There are 20 cords cut /split and stacked in the barn for future years and 7 1/2 cord of hickory to be processed this year

Reactions: NickW and Zombie
What's weird is I don't feel like I am out in the woods all that much. I go out for 3-4 hours on various Saturday's and Sunday's mostly from December through February. It gives me something to do, as I see it as a hobby and as a gym membership all in one. ;lol

I'd like to see a pic of your wood stacks. Not that I don't believe you. I've just never witnessed 54.5 cord at once. That's impressive and your literally sitting on a gold mine.

Last edited:
I am setting on 18 cord aside from the 4 cord slated for this winter and I have burned a little over 3 cord so far...I think I will wait till late fall or even late winter to start back in...the last of my 4 year old Oak is getting light...from here on out everything will be under roof..

the last of my 4 year old Oak is getting light.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I've been burning 5-6 year old red/white oak which has been stacked outside and top covered the whole time and it's some awesome stuff.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I've been burning 5-6 year old red/white oak which has been stacked outside and top covered the whole time and it's some awesome stuff.
This WAS top covered and I discovered a leak! Not sure how long it had been leaking but it shortened its lifespan for sure...thats all I was saying...