How Much Wood in This 6 x 12 Trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mayhem said:
I'd say that trailer is holding about a cord of wood (an actual 128cf cord). At $155 for cut split and delivered, barely seasoned wood I'd say thats an excellent price...which makes me say. Nobody actually sells seasoned wood...its all wet and hisses some in the stove...Most places around here are charging well north of $155 a cord csd, no way I could touch that price around here. Typically I see $185+.

I get c/s/d firewood (unseasoned mixed hardwood) for $150 in upstate NY. If I specify white ash I'll get that, but they'll charge me $175-185 because they know it'll burn green.

Those extensions appear to be 2x8" and 2x12" based on the shape of the ends. That adds 19" to what look like 18" stock sides. 37" altogether. I also took a transparent ruler and measured half way across the box (3') and used that measurement to determine that the box is at least 3' high. I have been told by my wood dealer that a load tossed is close to 180 cu.ft., and his 360 cu.ft. dump box (7.5'x12'x4') full of splits (domed slightly) stacks up to about 2 1/8 cord as tight as I can stack it... every time. So I have little reason to dispute his word.

Based on all that, I believe there is a good cord in that trailer, maybe even a "fat" cord. Seller never claimed it was "X" number of face cords, just a trailer full. Sounds very fair to me, especially since I am once again starting to process my own logs and am reminded of how much work is involved. Add in all the costs and I would not want to try to make a living this way, I'd become a bank robber instead. IMHO if folks were willing to pay what this work is worth, wood dealers just might have better scruples. As for me, I still work out the best deal I can. I am the buyer after all. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.