How much wood is in your wood shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
I’m trying to cut down on the number of times I move around my wood. Right now I have a shed that has open bays on both sides so I can grab wood in a “first in first out” order. It holds exactly 4 cords packed tight. I burn about 3-4 a winter but I’m thinking of building Off the front to make it hold more like 6-7 cords. Even though I won’t burn that much that’s almost 2 winters wood under cover and eliminates a good amount of stacking and moving wood from elsewhere. Do you keep the amount you burn a winter or load up considerably more?

I burn about 3-4 cords a season. I live on 1 acre of land in the suburbs and have little kids so my yard gets heavy use I can't totally take it over. Building a giant single structure isnt in the cards right now so I have 4 x lean-to structures on the edges of my property. They each hold 2 cords and then I have pallet island of sorts on the side of my house that'll hold another 1.5-2 cords. I fill in what I burn the following spring and rarely have to move the wood except to being it back to the stacks once split then into the house to burn. I use my tractor and trailer to lug it back and just bring it in by hand as I go with my log bag. I'll bring 3-4 bags in on a nice day. It's good exercise.

Mine holds 6-7 cords depending on how high I stack and that's about what I burn per season. I have another 6-7 ready to go into the shed seasoning out in the open so when I reload the house basement in the spring (also holds 6-7), I refill the wood shed too. Keeps me 2 years out in dry storage and another year in the open getting started.

My woodshed easily holds enough wood for two to three winters. I built it that size due to some footings that were there from a very large swingset. That said . . . it gives me great satisfaction every year to look out and see a fully loaded woodshed and realize that short of a new Ice Age and glaciers covering my house I will never run out of wood in a burning season. Any wood that is not burned in one heating season is just a little bit dryer for the next year . . . or two . . . or three.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Just built my first big wood shed last fall. Currently filling it up. Has 2 bays, 3.5 cord each. I burn 4-5 cord a season. So with my shoulder season wood(built a covered rack for this), each bay should last a season. From what I have read on this site, a good set up would be space for 2 seasons. When one season is done, you still have next season all set and can work on filling up the empty bay for the season after next.

I have about 10 cord under roof. I have 3 "open faces" where I can get to stacks of various age. The active face I'm working on now will last this year, with 2 other areas/sides of the stack available for subsequent years. I have 2 other spots in the barn to stack overflow, both filled now with about 3 cord (just under a year's supply for me). The 3 faces I have are from 2 doors in an old wooden corn crib, ~6ft wide x 30 feet long, stacked 7-8' high. Once it's stacked in the barn, it doesn't get touched until it's headed to the house for consumption. I still have about 1 cord of beech/maple/walnut/oak I cut in Jan. 2014....I never seem to get down deep enough to use it, however! Once this year's. burning is done, I'll have an empty space for ~4 cord, which I'll begin filling once the stove's shut down. I have some mulberry and ash ready to go in and waiting!

My shed is about 2 cords. I get taxed for accessory structures and a wood shed built out of scrap wood is on my property tax bill. My wood shed is on the north side of my home close to my bulkhead. Its not a great place for drying wood. I dry wood on the sunny side of my house and then the shed is reloaded each fall with a cord next to it. The cord next to it gets burnt first and then the wood shed gets burnt when the snow gets deep.

I burn 6 cord a winter and keep 18 cord under roof with approx. 6-7 cord top covered...I need to build another structure....lol...

I burn about 5 cords per year. I have one shed that holds 5 cords and I’m preparing to build another to get me 2 years under roof. Plan would be to alternate sheds each year. No moving wood around for me. I barely have the time for the work I do outside already.

I have 3 sheds placed in my yard. Totaling 12 cords. I dont like to move wood and I can't stand tarping. Sheds make it easy and less work. no need to move wood around just split and stack it and don't touch it intill its ready to burn. My largest shed holds over 6 cords in a total of 3 bays.. I have 2 smaller sheds that hold about 2.75 cords each. sometimes I do a rack.. but its far and few in between uses.. I built my first shed before I started burning. I have a large smoker and kept wood at my house on a rack.. When I realized I was getting a stove I put up the 2 smaller sheds... once I started burning.. I realized I needed more wood for storage and built the big shed..

I have 3 sheds placed in my yard. Totaling 12 cords. I dont like to move wood and I can't stand tarping. Sheds make it easy and less work. no need to move wood around just split and stack it and don't touch it intill its ready to burn. My largest shed holds over 6 cords in a total of 3 bays.. I have 2 smaller sheds that hold about 2.75 cords each. sometimes I do a rack.. but its far and few in between uses.. I built my first shed before I started burning. I have a large smoker and kept wood at my house on a rack.. When I realized I was getting a stove I put up the 2 smaller sheds... once I started burning.. I realized I needed more wood for storage and built the big shed..
So your sheds act as a drying a spot? I have a shed that holds 4 cords that’s is ready to burn wood. But then I have rows and rows just stacked for drying. The moving and restacking all those times isn’t ideal.

I do one stop drying and storage. Moving/restacking is the worst. That and how my yard is set up is why I put roofs over my 2 cord stacks. I can c/s/s once and be done with it. The trade off is I have to walk to the back of my property to get wood but I don't mind the exercise and it beats restacking cords at once. I just being a bunch in a few days at a time.

So your sheds act as a drying a spot? I have a shed that holds 4 cords that’s is ready to burn wood. But then I have rows and rows just stacked for drying. The moving and restacking all those times isn’t ideal.

Bro.. your killing yourself.. I dry in my sheds.. I only go 3 rows deep. The open/front facing the summer prevailing winds. The sides and back are vented so wind will pass through the shed, and the back panels are removable if needed. the shed floor is up off the ground by 6inches and there's a 1.5 inch gap in between the boards the roof overhang in front is 22 inches and the rest is a 6/8 inch overhang.. once in the shed no moisture touches the wood, no tarps no moving wood

Reactions: logfarmer
I have a 4 bay shed, each bay holds about 2.5 cords, I alternate 2 bays a season and keep about 5 cords on standby for a full year, reloading the shed in the spring once the ground firms up, works well for me and I dont mind moving wood twice since the shed is very close to my garage.