How much wood per year? Lopi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODplay

Oct 12, 2010
Lower Micigan
I'm new to wood heat and am wondering how much wood everyone goes though in a year?
I have a Lopi Endeavor and a 1100 sq ft Ranch.
Latley I go though about 4 to 6 logs per day.
I'm kind of thinking 3 cords by the end of a MI winter?

WOODplay said:
I'm new to wood heat and am wondering how much wood everyone goes though in a year?

How old is your house and how well insulated?

I would think a well insulated 1100 sq ft house would have a tuff time going through 3 cord in a winter.

1978 and it seems to hold heat for a while so I guess It's ok on the insulation.
I burn after work and maybe a little bit in the morning before work.

Too many variables: insulation, size of house, 24/7 vs nights, geography, flue, wood species, seasoning of wood, preferred temp in house, heating just a few rooms/whole house....

But in short, heating through proper winters ;-), heating most of the house, you'd be looking at 3ish for a modern stove and a house that size. I went through 4 last year, probably similar this year despite a longer heating season (stove was in late last year, but this year's wood is better)

WOODplay said:
1978 and it seems to hold heat for a while so I guess It's ok on the insulation.
I burn after work and maybe a little bit in the morning before work.

Then I think you should be more like 2 cords if you have hardwood.

Oh, and re-insulating the attic made a massive difference to my ability to heat with wood (including sealing gaps and an enclosure for the attic ladder).

Wow! This is a great place with the fast replies!
Something for me to think about for years to come and stock piles to be built.
Thank you!

WOODplay said:

We have the Lopi Liberty and heat from the basement (Ranch 1750 sq,ft main floor & close to same down) last year was our first burning wood and we used about 4.5 cord.

We are in Upstate New York and this year we hope to cut our wood usage down to about 3.5 cord.

swampy

It will depend a lot on how dedicated a part-time burner you are, and how late you get home from work. If you're burning only from 7 pm til 11 pm, that is a whole lot different than burning full time. I guess you won't burn through three cords burning part-time.

We live in the Northern lower, and heat about 1300 sq ft with cathedral ceilings with a Lopi Endeavor. We use about 3 to 3.5 cords of mixed popple, oak and maple. I keep the house really warm, have to keep the wife happy. Dave.

WOODplay said:

Really impossible to answer with all the variables. I have an Endeavor and used just under 5 cords last year burning 24/7(I'm talking 4x4x8 real cords, you're from Michigan so I want to be clear since most people here talk in face cords). The house is 2 stories and just under 2000 sq ft.

Get 6 cord delivered and you will have leftover properly seasoned wood for next season :lol:

I agree with burntime. If you plan on 3 cord, then you need to get 6. Do that 2 years in a row and then you will have 2 full years of wood in the stack. The difference in how the wood burns and the heat you get from it will amaze you. The big key to burning wood is to give the wood time to dry....no matter what a wood seller says. Most wood needs a year minimum, some need 2 years and some even need 3 years to dry....and this is after it has been split; not from when it was cut.

btw, we burn 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.