How perfect is the Alignment on new Glass Fireplace Doors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 10, 2018
PA
I’m shopping for glass fireplace doors for a home I own. So far I’ve been to three local shops to look at their display models. The manufacturers represented are Stoll, Design Specialties and Portland Williamette.

The FP is a manufactured zero-cleareance model, with an air cooled chamber and a front-facing fascia made of metal on all four sides (top, bottom, left, right).

Two of the three the local shops have shown and quoted zero clearance reface doors, which will attach with magnets. The third shop thinks something attached to the existing metal trim will work, but they have to inspect the existing frame geometry to confirm.

For the floor demo/samples I saw, the door framing, finishes and hardware seemed well made and nice.

However I was hugely unimpressed with the alignment of the glass doors in any of the demos. For me this has to be near perfect. But what I saw in three show rooms was one step above just plain sloppy.

After two shops in one day, I left thinking if these guys can’t get their display models to look right, or even look perfect, then what can one expect in a final delivered and installed product? And even worst, what will the door alignment look like after a few years of use.

My questions after this adventure:

- How near to perfect will the glass door alignment be? At the center top, with bi fold doors on a ZC Reface set of doors.

- Will the manufacturers, and their distributor/shops/technicians be able to adjust things? Over the full life of the FP?

- Of the three manufacturers, who will have the closest tolerances, the beefiest frame setup and the better workmanship and alignment on the doors? I’m asking about the center top point where the LH and RH doors meet when closing?

Include are some pictures I made to mimic what I saw. Two pieces of glass represent the top of the doors when they swing closed, and some scrap wood to represents the frame. One of the pics is in perfect alignment, what I want but not what I saw in any of the three shops I want to.

Two pics represent what I saw in every sample I looked at and played with by opening and closing the doors. In fact my pics under estimate how much some of the models were misaligned.

IMG_20180819_200450023_LL.jpg IMG_20180819_200751029_LL.jpg IMG_20180819_200816393_LL.jpg

That’s typically adjustable, but the installer must know how to do this, and they should..
Right out the box, Stoll is hands down a better product. We often need to do adjustments or even modifications to Design Specialties products before we can even install them. They end up looking good, after all the adjustments.

Reactions: begreen
That’s typically adjustable, but the installer must know how to do this, and they should..
Right out the box, Stoll is hands down a better product. We often need to do adjustments or even modifications to Design Specialties products before we can even install them. They end up looking good, after all the adjustments.
That's good to know, thanks.

The shop that sold Stoll had by far the least experienced sales persons, one young guy, who I felt sorry for, with three months experience and a manager who seemed to be a twenty something. Yet the shop has been around for 30+ years, it was big and they had a lot of stuff on display, far more than the other two shops combined (they had a wider product range, too, outdoor bar-b-qs, patio furniture, and five or six signed trucks sitting in their parking lot).

When I pressed the folks on how close the door alignment will be they did not have the usual reassuring responses quickly offered up to other questions, it was a stumper question. They said they don't know how close the tolerances will be, but our installer will. If he comes to your place to measure things you can ask him. I'll give them points for being honest and not making up an answer here. The downside is if I get the installer onsite I own $100 for that, if he answers to my satisfaction and I go through with Stoll the $100 is credited to the purchase, if not I'm out 100 hard earned dollars.

That whole exchange and experience added to not having a highly confident feeling as to what the final product will look.

I'll appreciate any more ongoing insights.

Last edited:
I’m always surprised how some people choose to run their business.