How to be happy when burning wood in your stove (a flowchart)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
Since there are so many different ways to burn in a stove, and every stove is variable, I have decided that I was going to make a quick reference guide for when visitors come, or when other people besides my wife and I are loading up the stove.

Any feedback is appreciated, but the end goal is to be at the smiley face :)

This is also on the assumption that you are burning things that com-bust decently (good wood).

First you need to start out with the basics figure out if you are cold enough to have a fire, or if there is nothing to worry about:
Visio-fireflowchart_2.jpg
Once you have gotten the stove aflame, you will want to probably be a little bit more specific about what you are doing and what you are measuring. I did not put the part about arguing if the stove should be hotter or you should take your pants off.
Visio-fireflowchart_1_Page_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not read the entire chart yet but it looks good. Easy to follow and informative for anyone. Good job! ==c

Last edited:
I like your flowcharts! One step missing at the tail end of both flowcharts though.......open a can of frosty cold beer once it gets too hot.

I like your flowcharts! One step missing at the tail end of both flowcharts though.......open a can of frosty cold beer once it gets too hot.

mine is normally at the beginning of the process.... :)

here is the PDF version

Attachments

• Visio-fireflowchart_1.pdf
    98.5 KB · Views: 603
Reactions: vinny11950
You forgot to add something to the effect of, "kick your shoes off, crack ice cold Two Hearted (or, your drink of choice), take sip (repeat), and alternate between watching the Red Wings (or, your team of choice) and the yellow dancing flames whilst basking in the finest source of warmth known to man."

Outside of that egregious omission...well done!

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
Flowcharts, evidence of a structured mind. Well done, Dobish.

I actually really really like this!

You wouldn't happen to have one for a non-cat stove, eh? :)
doesn't that just go something like, put wood in --> burn wood --> put more wood in?

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Yes, minimal flowchart needed for non-cat. Light-off to air closed was 15 minutes this morning. The rest was spent enjoying a cuppa joe before a warm fire and a nice light show.

Reactions: redktmrider
I actually really really like this!

You wouldn't happen to have one for a non-cat stove, eh? :)

Ha, my wife has started to ask about how to use the stove for when I'm out of town so I've been working on something similar. Last year she didn't want to touch it, partially because it was new, partially because the basement wasn't a nice area to hang out in. Now that we've redone the basement a bit, she wants to be down there and is interested in learning.

I don't have smiley faces or pictures, but this was what I've put together so far. I started out with a regular flow chart but couldn't organize it very well, so I decided to go the swim lane route which, IMO, worked out really nice. Even got some safety issues in there and some tips. When documenting processes, I always try to get it down to the point where someone new should be able to do it.

Input welcome!

Edits to doc: changed coal bed question wording, tips/tricks (10/31)

Attachments

• Wood Stove Procedures.pdf
    138.4 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:
Reactions: ewang
Ha, my wife has started to ask about how to use the stove for when I'm out of town so I've been working on something similar. Last year she didn't want to touch it, partially because it was new, partially because the basement wasn't a nice area to hang out in. Now that we've redone the basement a bit, she wants to be down there and is interested in learning.

I don't have smiley faces or pictures, but this was what I've put together so far. I started out with a regular flow chart but couldn't organize it very well, so I decided to go the swim lane route which, IMO, worked out really nice. Even got some safety issues in there and some tips. When documenting processes, I always try to get it down to the point where someone new should be able to do it.

Input welcome!

i like it, but as I was told many a time, you are missing the "open beer and enjoy" box.

You forgot to add something to the effect of, "kick your shoes off, crack ice cold Two Hearted (or, your drink of choice), take sip (repeat), and alternate between watching the Red Wings (or, your team of choice) and the yellow dancing flames whilst basking in the finest source of warmth known to man."

The Red Wings will make you drink lots of Two Hearted as well.

Here's a question I had in creating mine. I currently have chimney fires in the red box from the question of whether the stove is above 700F. In a chimney fire situation, does it really matter what temp the stove is at? Don't have the experience (thankfully) to know.

Here's a question I had in creating mine. I currently have chimney fires in the red box from the question of whether the stove is above 700F. In a chimney fire situation, does it really matter what temp the stove is at? Don't have the experience (thankfully) to know.
you could have a chimney fire if the stove is less than that

Two Hearted has to be the best IPA on earth.

Reactions: iceman2424

Input welcome!

I love it!

Thanks!