How to best stack wood in 8x12 shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For that shed I would start taking wood from the left side (the entire depth) then work to the right. Then refill and the following year work left to right. By taking wood from the entire depth you won’t constantly have a back row that doesn’t get touched.

For that shed I would start taking wood from the left side (the entire depth) then work to the right. Then refill and the following year work left to right. By taking wood from the entire depth you won’t constantly have a back row that doesn’t get touched.
Yeah, but this would require stacking front to back, and some means (criss-cross stack) of keeping the splits in front from just rolling out. If you follow his plan of stacking left to right, which is admittedly much easier, then your plan would have the pile just tumbling down into the gap.

Hi All,
I built this shed this past summer and Im struggling with how to best stack wood in it. Currently I have been stacking it in rows left to right however Im finding this method not the most useful for my scenario. It holds around 4 cords but I typically burn about 2-3 per season. This leaves some wood still in the shed at the end of the season so if i go to add new wood that is less seasoned I have to empty out the shed and put the greener stuff in the back. This is my pain point so looking for alternate methods to stack. I was thinking of stacking front to back instead of left to right and then make some lincoln log stacks on the end so the wood doesn't roll out the front. The other option I was thinking of was sectioning out the shed by running some 8' planks from the front center to back center so I have a left compartment and a right compartment essentially making it into two 4' x 6' sections instead of one 8' x 12' and then stack the wood left to right. This way i have a greener side and then a more seasoned side. Are there any other options you could recommend? Out of my two options do you think one is better than the other? Thanks

View attachment 311461
Like this , with good air flow which you have.

w7.jpg

3. I like to shake the mouse nests, bee nests, and spiders out of the stacked wood before bringing it up to the house. Moving it from shed to wagon is a good way to do this.
In the winter, I throw my wood from the shed into a sled to then pull down to my backdoor. I've had the same thought process that it shakes loose everything that needs shaking.

As for moving firewood, I routinely reorganize it in order to get the greener stuff in back. I consider it part of my workout. Put on some blues music and get to work. I like what everyone else said about removing the back wall and adding inner cross-braces.

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks for all the input everyone! I added in a divider this weekend to make it 2 compartments, I'll see how this works out for me and if needed it will take me a few minutes to remove the slats in the rear (also a great suggestion i wasn't even thinking about). While I was at it I also removed two boards in the center and added more bracing under the joists, I realized I didnt have enough support and was getting some sag in the center this past winter when it was loaded up.

IMG_3497.jpg IMG_3634.jpg IMG_3639.jpg

Thanks for all the input everyone! I added in a divider this weekend to make it 2 compartments, I'll see how this works out for me and if needed it will take me a few minutes to remove the slats in the rear (also a great suggestion i wasn't even thinking about). While I was at it I also removed two boards in the center and added more bracing under the joists, I realized I didnt have enough support and was getting some sag in the center this past winter when it was loaded up.

View attachment 311726 View attachment 311727 View attachment 311728
Looks awesome!

Reactions: velocity1
Firewood weighs a lot more than people think, and the floor of any wood shed needs to be built beyond sturdy. Pallets barely hold up to firewood. That shed looks nice!

Firewood weighs a lot more than people think, and the floor of any wood shed needs to be built beyond sturdy. Pallets barely hold up to firewood. That shed looks nice!
Beyond that, the floor of a wood shed is under constant attack from bugs and weather, in additon to the 5000 lb./cord of fresh oak you're setting on it. They need to be quickly and easily replaceable.

If you look at my sheds, the "floor" of each is either sistered PT 2x4's on edge at 4 per 18" row, or ground contact-rated PT 4x4's at 2 per 18" row of wood. Both are built to be replaced without enormous trouble, allowing me to save the upper portion of the shed while replacing the lower.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson