how to choose the RIGHT one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2010
MD
So, maybe due to this site, my infatuating addiction. i have begun to embark on shopping for a new stove. Yes i know what you may say, I have only had this thing in and running for but a few months. however live and learn i bought cheap and in a rush, and the stove just does not meet my requirements. sure i can keep the place comfortable if i am around to feed it ever hour or two, but its just not enough to heat the space i want.
take last night, temp here where 5* F pretty good draft, box full, dampened nearly all the way down. was able get the stove up to just shy of 500 (this is pushing it for this little guy) and its really just not enough. not to mention the burn times stated are well, a farse. at 8 hours if i can find a coal I did well.
what i am really looking for is a more 'stout' stove, if it has to be plate steel id like to get the heavest stuff i can. cast would be great as would a soapstone, so far with my setup im not sure i can find one with the heat output i want and be the size i need.
i really want a large firebox, i figure if i dont want it as hot i just wont build that big of a fire. right now to be comfortable i have to pack this thing.
My largest problem is where my flue comes in (real close to the front lintel) so even some of these large inserts im not sure if i can get the connection ( i know i will just have to measure, twice)
So I am leaning towards trying to fit a conventional stove in the opening, a hearth mount or hearth heater if you will.
I looked at the regency 3100, want to go see a PE summit. Wouldnt mind a cat or secondaries, both have advantages, so thats not going to be a decision point. a blower will be a must
so I am going to need a stove that has a shortish profile.

My main question here is what should I be looking at to size this thing? the BTU output or square footage? seems like you cant figure out the marketing behind some of these. one is listed at 75000 heating 1000-2000, while another one is listed at 80000 but heats 2000-3000? firebox size?

Basically I cant afford to make the same mistake twice (really couldnt in the first place). opinions?

More info, please. How big is your house, how well insulated, and what's the layout? Could you spare the space to put a full-size stove in front of the opening? Are you going to heat full-time w/wood, or do you have supplemental heat, or is the fire supplemental?

I was told by Stove Store Guy that you really can't look at the EPA numbers and get useful information out if it, that the SF listing is more accurate--but there are so many variables: climate, wood supply, what your comfort level is, how well insulated, whether you have a doofus teenager who PUTS WOOD IN THE FIRE IN THE EVENING WHEN YOU"RE TRYING TO BURN IT DOWN TO COALS TO LOAD IT FOR THE NIGHT--sorry--where was I?--anyway, many variables. You're probably going to find that everyone here who is happy with their stove will recommend that to you, but that won't be as helpful to you as all the information you need to make the right decision for you. Which, naturally, will be a free-standing soapstone stove in front of the hearth. Did I just say that out loud?

There are alot of good quality stoves out there these days, pick one from a reputable brand, that is sized properly, installed correctly and you will be happy. What's your home setup like? What do you have now?

Considering you already have a stove, you might want to see how the new large Woodstock stove turns out. It looks like it will be an ideal hearth heater. Otherwise, if mass is the goal, the Alderlea T6 is very beefy, but a Summit inside.

house layout is poorish...the area i want to heat with it (primary) is very open.
insulation, im working on that, almost daily. so improving?

the main goal for this is to try and figure out which one is going to preform with what i need. I would love a woodstock. but i see their "numbers" are relativly low for the area im trying to heat, but maybe their numbers are conservative while others are inflated...

the stove i have is a vogelzang colonial, not that bad, some quality issues, but not a bad heater. just too small. the sales junk would have you believe its 1800sf, at 69000btus. if thats the case im going to need a 3000sf heater to do some real duty...

The way the fireplace setup is i think a heath heater would be the ticket. but im open to anything that keeps the area warm...

Sq ftg ratings are somewhat meaningless because they don't factor in high ceilings, poor insulation, climate ranges, wood type burned, etc.. How many sq ft is this heating?

The new Woodstock is not on the market yet. It will be a 3 cu ft stove and will have a no-legs option for hearth heating. Here's a rendering of the stove with the plinth base.

Attachments

• render with plinth no shadow.jpg
    render with plinth no shadow.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 304
ah BeGreen I have seen that and love it. Is this going to be the one with tubes and a CAT?

Any dimensions on this guy? thats a large fireplace...

Have the Summit heat a 2600 sq/f split right now, if that helps. Good heat and good burn times.

it does. Mine is a single level, ranch i believe, with two additions, one off the side and one off the back. The one off the back is a large 30x20 or so family rooms where the stove is. this is open 15ft or so to the kitchen then straight through to the other part of the house. i mean you can look though the house and see, this area is open.

my best guess is that the area im really trying to heat is only 2000 sqft. however like i said i would rather have the problem of moving wamr air around versus, not being able to heat it from the first place.

what about inserts that are adjustable meaning the depth from the surround and flue collar isnt a set distance. i saw the hearthstone Clydesdale adjustable flue and was wondering if others out there are like that

Stump_Branch said:
i really want a large firebox, i figure if i dont want it as hot i just wont build that big of a fire. right now to be comfortable i have to pack this thing.
My largest problem is where my flue comes in (real close to the front lintel) so even some of these large inserts im not sure if i can get the connection ( i know i will just have to measure, twice)
So I am leaning towards trying to fit a conventional stove in the opening, a hearth mount or hearth heater if you will.
I looked at the regency 3100, want to go see a PE summit.

Did you look at the H2100? Since your flue comes in real close to the lintel, this might be your best bet.

http://regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/H2100.aspx

Jimbob said:
Stump_Branch said:
I looked at the regency 3100, want to go see a PE summit.

Did you look at the H2100? Since your flue comes in real close to the lintel, this might be your best bet.

http://regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/H2100.aspx

I did, only problem i find is the size...a 1.6cuft box is basically what i have now. (of course i bet that thing throws out more heat) i just dont want to tend the thing every hour. However the idea of a hearth heater is pretty much what i would like to do. i wish they made this in the 3100 model...ah to dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.