Right size stove for low long output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Quantum

Apr 10, 2024
Western New York
I live in Western New York zone 5 in a relatively well insulated double wide newer manufactured home with 1400 square feet. Until now, I was heating with roughly 3.5 tons of wood pellets from November to end of April. Due to the high costs of wood pellets nowadays and availability of inexpensive wood, I want to change to a wood stove. Based on my wood pellet usage in the past and stove efficiency I need approximately 7100 BTU/hour early in the season and 21300 BTU/hour in the depth of winter. I like long burn times, so feeding 1-2 daily or less is my goal. From my research that rules many midsize stoves due to high BTU output out. I was looking into catalytic stoves like the Blazeking Chinnock or Sirocco 20.2 but I am afraid the minimum output is already too much. I still have a forced air gas furnace to level out peak cold and the milder seasons. Please advice on what to choose. My dealer is not very helpful. Thank you!

A BK stove would work. For the low end output, it's probably best to just build a smaller fire and let it go out. The only stove that fits the very low end need is the Woodstock Fireview which also is a viable choice.

I would be looking at a mini split heat pump. With shoulder season needs being low a heat pump would open options for stoves. Will you be paying for wood?

Reactions: begreen
Thank you for your suggestions. I have my own woods, so I just have to get it out of there. I may also have access to a cabinet shop to get all their waste wood. I have not looked into heat pumps yet. However, I am also looking into a electricity independent solution. I am not really a prepper, but a little concerned how things are going.

If you are going to get a stove, get that wood split and stacked now. You're already a year late with that...
These new stoves need really dry wood. As in at least two years stacked off the ground (unless it's pine or fir or so).

Cut offs of course are good to go.

But, are BKs allowed in manufactured homes? You will need an outside air kit (preferably going thru the floor if you have unconditioned outside air there.

But, are BKs allowed in manufactured homes? You will need an outside air kit (preferably going thru the floor if you have unconditioned outside air there.
Both BK and Woodstock stoves meet mobile home requirements.

Reactions: stoveliker
It's amazing the heat that a large 500 lb stove full of coals will put out. You can burn a big load slowly to minimize output and then open the air a bit at some point to keep the coals hot and burning down for a few hours.