How to connect a gas log replacement myself… can’t get the threaded inlet out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danwelch99

Sep 11, 2021
Lake harmony pa
Hi all, i can’t seem to the answers to this anywhere on the web and was desperate for some help. I am replacing a broken gas log that is no longer working in my house. I got a brand new unit (pleasant hearth from Lowe’s ). The unit come mostly assembled and i was able to set it up in minutes. Then … problems. I can’t get the gas line connected ! I have many tools and a universal line connector kit , but it looks like the propane inlet is intentional blocked or something ? I have no idea why this would be the case ‍♂️ Fairly enraging. Has anyone seen this or had experience with it ? Looks like it takes a massive Allen wrench or maybe a specialty tool to unscrew it ? Ty !!
B4BC36E4-2A69-45CB-80F7-2457F8B7CA3D.jpeg
F28BE404-04E6-4A0E-99A1-1622F62EF518.jpeg

You're exactly right, you need an allen wrench. These are not uncommon in most tool boxes, can you ask around at your neighbors. I'll bet you will find someone with a set in short order. I would try a 5/16 allen.

Hi all, i can’t seem to the answers to this anywhere on the web and was desperate for some help. I am replacing a broken gas log that is no longer working in my house. I got a brand new unit (pleasant hearth from Lowe’s ). The unit come mostly assembled and i was able to set it up in minutes. Then … problems. I can’t get the gas line connected ! I have many tools and a universal line connector kit , but it looks like the propane inlet is intentional blocked or something ? I have no idea why this would be the case ‍♂️ Fairly enraging. Has anyone seen this or had experience with it ? Looks like it takes a massive Allen wrench or maybe a specialty tool to unscrew it ? Ty !!View attachment 281803View attachment 281804
It looks like you need a "security" bit. They have a recess in the center to allow it to fit over that raised "teat" in the center. The regulators on the HeatnGlo fireplaces that I work with use a Torx T20 security bit.

torxt20.jpg

If you need an Allen wrench larger than what you have, simply use a bolt with the head the correct size. Double nut the threaded end, tightening the two nuts together. Use a wrench on the nut end to turn the bolt head end in the fitting.

If you need to use the plug for the Natural connection, use sealant on the threads such as gas valve grease or white liquid Teflon for gas.

It looks like you need a "security" bit. They have a recess in the center to allow it to fit over that raised "teat" in the center. The regulators on the HeatnGlo fireplaces that I work with use a Torx T20 security bit.

View attachment 281846
In a pinch, if you don’t have a security bit, they are easy to use with a regular solid bit. Simply use a pointed punch, like a center punch. (or nail) Place the pointed tip between the nipple at the bottom of hole and the side. Gently tap the punch and it will break the tiny nipple right off sideways. This works well with stainless anti tamper hardware as well. Brass is softer and bends once, just tap and the nipple bends, then place the pointed punch on the other side and tap. Breaks right off.