How to get rid of stomp without a grinder? What is the best red neck way.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've ground a ton of stumps and unless you have a lot of time, there is no better way. Some people dig out around the roots and cut them with a chainsaw, but that sounds horrible. I would rent a walk behind stump grinder and take care of it. The carbide teeth are very durable and unless you have a ton of granite it won't matter.

Anybody have success with the Stump B Gone stuff? Drill some deep holes in the stump, dump in the granules, let it dissolve the stump from the inside out?

I once used it. I was not impressed. Still takes more time than the suggestions above. Ok for stumps cut below your mower height, but otherwise I'd build a fire on/in the stump, and use a sledge hammer after a couple of days.
What's better than building a fire after all ;P

Reactions: Rob711
Don't they have stump grinders in your area and can you use them.? Why not without a stump grinder and why would you do it another way if you can--really do not understand? I think that would be the best way...clancey
Not everyone has that luxury. In my case, my place is 150ft above a lake with no road access. I'm not renting a grinder, a barge to haul it across, and finding multiple buddies to help me carry it up and down the hill.

Due to my unique circumstances, I just cut close to the ground and then let nature take it's course. At times I have taken big, boring drill bits to break it up. When needed, I have also dug around the roots, cut with a hand saw, and then pulled out the stump with an ATV.

I would not mess with gas- too explosive- never know where those vapors are trailing off too., plus contamination. Muriatic acid, likley the main ingredient in that stump be gone stuff. but that's going to take awhile. plus mutiple applications.

u could dig it out a tiny bit then drill some holes into it 4 on the sides goin in at an angle then drill a few on top then soak it in some kerosene or diesel and gas mix then burn it out

It's also worth pointing out the best way and redneck way are two different avenues. Since you asked for redneck, I would say gasoline to light it on fire and then you should definitely use some tannerite to blow it up. It may not work the best, but with a beer in hand there is no better redneck solution. Once you have a mangled stump, then hook it to your truck and pull it out (use an old Chevy Cavalier if you want to go more trailer trash than redneck).

About 25 years ago I took down a big fir tree for the city of oakville Washington so they could put in a sidewalk. Not sure the exact diameter but over 4’ maybe 5. It was right next to highway 12 and I asked how they were going to get the stump out as it was probably going to take a portion of the highway out with it. He said they were going to drill holes and pour this stuff in and the whole stump would be burnt out in a couple hours. I couldn’t hold in the laugh and asked if they’d call me when they were going to attempt it. He gave me a dirty look and I never got a call.

A friend of mine was a powder monkey for a few years and another buddy had a couple cases of 90% rock powder. I took down about 20 or so for trees around his house and the two of them removed every stump with the rock powder. It was really cool to witness. They would shovel out a shovel depth under the house side ( if memory serves) somewhere on the stump( house was 10-40’ from all the stumps) Then they would slice off about a 1-2” and bury it with a blasting cap and use a couple D size batteries to pop a big hole under the stump. Then they would choose the best spot to finish so as not to take out any windows and use the amount needed. Each stick was about the size os a big summer sausage. Well, as we were going along and having some beers, the finish blast kept needing more stick. The last stump took his tv antenna out of the top of a tree about 50’ in the air. It was one of the funnest things I’ve ever witnessed

Reactions: semipro
good "hold my beer and watch this" stories. Just be careful not to degenerate into a Darwin-award story...

Reactions: sloeffle
My experience -
I've let them rot. It takes a while. Cutting some holes in them does seem to speed things up.
Burning them out takes some patience and more time and dino juice than you might think.
I rented a tracked 20 HP gas grinder and was disappointed with how slowly it went and how much it cost.
I'm a DIY kind of guy but after taking down about 45 trees I hired a guy with a remote-controlled, tracked, diesel-powered, grinder to take out about 40 stumps for $1000. It only took him about 4 hours - impressive. I hated to part with the money but it was worth it.

Reactions: Nealm66
Get the highest straight nitrogen content chemical prilled (peletized) fertilizer you can by ie 34-0-0 or 46-0-0. Take your saw and make a dish of the top of your stump. Apply a liberal amount of fertilizer. The nitrogen promotes rapid decay and your stump will be pretty well gone in one season - at least soft enough that you can chop away at it to ground level with ease then cover it up with dirt.