How to repair gaps around firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rndy_918

Oct 24, 2015
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
We've inheirated my grandmother-In-Laws house and I want to use propane gas logs in fireplace. There is about a 2" gap on both sides and top between the firebox and the bricks on the front. Cold air blows in every winter. I'm going to shoot Dap polyurethane fire block foam sealant in first. Then I plan on inserting firebricks within an inch of the edge of the firebox. Then finish the edge, bring it flush with the box with firebox mortor. Is there any suggestions or comments that anyone has? I want it sealed and insulated good to prevent cold air in an to prevent heat loss up the back side of the walls.

That could be a prefab zero clearance fireplace and then the gaps are there to cool the firebox and keep the fire from igniting any close combustibles behind it. I would certainly hold off on your modifications until you have determined whether it is safe to do. Can you post some pics? What kind of chimney do you have; masonry with clay liner or steel pipe? It would also not hurt to consult a professional before; the chimney may need a cleaning anyway before you start burning in the fireplace. You can search here: http://www.csia.org/search or http://nficertified.org/pages_consumers/consumers-1.cfm

The fireplace was added to the end of the house after it was built. It just has brick on the 3 outer sides of the fireplace. I know that at one time, the cracks were sealed in with mortar, because there's still pieces here and there.
As for the stack, it has a masonry type, but I'm planning on using ventless, so my damper will be closed reguardless.

Why use ventless when there is a flue?

Well, I debated but after talking with several reps and techs from different local companies and weighing pros and cons, the ventless seemed like the best fit for what we're wanting.

Plus, the flue needs repaired I'm sure, as it wasn't maintained good. Cost for that as well as an insert for a vented unit is more than we want to pay, and with the vented, we'll get the better heat that we want.

we'll get the better heat that we want.
Do you mean you will get better heat with ventless?

I think we need some pics to advise you better not entirly sure what you are referring to yet. But i will tell you that ventless units are not ventless they vent all of the products of combustion into your house. Most also are not meant to be real heaters either I would look allot harder at vented units

Yes, I meant ventless..dang spellcheck. I have it closed off, but planned on opening it up today and applying the fireblock foam, so I'll get pictures and post.
Do not use fireblock foam it is extremely flammable and even with a ventless unit is would be very dangerous. And are you talking about gas logs of an actual insert?

Post pics before you do anything if it is a zero clearance unit which it sounds like you absolutely cannot block those vents they are needed to use that firebox in any way at all.

I'll be using the fire block foam, deep inside the crack, where flames won't be close to it. Then I will have firebrick embedded in refractory cement. The firebox is steel. The foam is basically being sprayed deep inside cracks to stop drafts. I call them cracks, but they're actually spaces on each side of the firebox, where it buts up to the rock wall on the inside wall. They had mortar originally but it fell out. I just want to remotor the seams, but want that added I insulation to prevent heat loss inside the walls, I will send you pictures though.

I'll be using the fire block foam, deep inside the crack, where flames won't be close to it. Then I will have firebrick embedded in refractory cement. The firebox is steel. The foam is basically being sprayed deep inside cracks to stop drafts. I call them cracks, but they're actually spaces on each side of the firebox, where it buts up to the rock wall on the inside wall. They had mortar originally but it fell out. I just want to remotor the seams, but want that added I insulation to prevent heat loss inside the walls, I will send you pictures though.
yes you are proposing putting a highly flammable material in an area that needs to be completely non combustible. DO NOT DO IT it is a very very bad idea!

Reactions: barmstrong2
Status
Not open for further replies.