How to solve slumping door problem, not sealing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colsmith

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Apr 11, 2006
near Milwaukee, WI
We have a 10 year old Hearthstone Phoenix. The door is slumping on its hinges such that it isn't closing right/sealing any more. The hinge pins seem no longer aligned perfectly. The door is quite heavy, so I suppose it has been pulling them askew slowly over time? Hubby has tried putting a washer on each hinge pin that holds the door up to raise it up a bit. That helps some, then the top seals but the side by the handle doesn't seal up right still. We could stuff some gasket material in a place where there isn't supposed to be any. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this? It's not like we can take it somewhere to be fixed, and the original installers were good but are out of business now. Any advice appreciated.

We have a 10 year old Hearthstone Phoenix. The door is slumping on its hinges such that it isn't closing right/sealing any more. The hinge pins seem no longer aligned perfectly. The door is quite heavy, so I suppose it has been pulling them askew slowly over time? Hubby has tried putting a washer on each hinge pin that holds the door up to raise it up a bit. That helps some, then the top seals but the side by the handle doesn't seal up right still. We could stuff some gasket material in a place where there isn't supposed to be any. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this? It's not like we can take it somewhere to be fixed, and the original installers were good but are out of business now. Any advice appreciated.

You will probably have to replace the door/frame assembly. It's worn out after 10 years.
It happens when the steel hinge pins wear the holes in the softer cast iron hinge blocks.
The new one comes as a kit WITH the instructions on how to replace everything...

upload_2016-1-10_18-1-53.png
upload_2016-1-10_18-2-18.png
upload_2016-1-10_18-2-45.png
upload_2016-1-10_18-3-4.png

Reactions: colsmith
Not familiar with this stove, is there enough material on both to drill them out the next size bigger? Hold the door up where it sits properly and drill down through both?
Just a thought but, it may be too precise of a fit to do easily. You would need larger hinge pins as well.

I seem to remember it being an issue with the Hearthstones. Replace and then keep lubed with graphite dry lube.

I'm on the same track as Riggs.

I'm wondering which material suffered the wear.
Harder pins or casting will rub down the softer one.

This can mean the hole-centers have moved if the casting took the
grinding effect. Be really careful and steady on the drill. If you are pressing
the bit to the side even slightly safety glasses are an absolute must !!!!
Hopefully it's a straight shot and goes smoothly.
(I wear my safety's even mowing on frankentractor)

CheapMark

Status
Not open for further replies.