How to transport rounds from inaccessible area. Ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was in West Virginia a decade ago. Near New River, then Seneca rock. It was a real eye opener. Now I know why New England waited so long to venture west. They couldn't get their pickups and atvs over all them hills. You really have an "uphill" battle. I feel for you. Time to hoof it. If your that serious about scarfing wood in the dangdest places, you'll need to figure out a burro vs a burrow.

A mule or burro would be ideal for this situation.

Do you own the land? Is it anything a logging company would have any interest in?

Maybe you could work a deal that makes you a little money and also, have them bring the logs down for you (at the cost of paying you less than they otherwise would per board foot). Just a thought.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I was in West Virginia a decade ago. Near New River, then Seneca rock. It was a real eye opener. Now I know why New England waited so long to venture west. They couldn't get their pickups and atvs over all them hills. You really have an "uphill" battle. I feel for you. Time to hoof it. If your that serious about scarfing wood in the dangdest places, you'll need to figure out a burro vs a burrow.

If there were better economic conditions in WV we would have moved there instead of ME.

I cut from this area last year do to a "firewood emergency"... I had to have something that I could bun in very short time... The the wood is beech. Earlier I posted that the sapwood is punky but heartwood was good... Beech is all heartwood so what I meant to say is that 1/2 of it is punky but the core is still solid... Larger pieces are heavy... most of it I could pack 2-3 at a time...

The worm drive winch I found at harbor freight for around 30 bucks... I would need 2 or 3 of those I figure... build me a crude sled,, fill it up.. and winch it the distance.. Still sounds like a lot of work...

This year is looking like another "emergency cutting session".. so I think I will be having to visit this area a few times...

As far as "Low hanging fruit"... this is low hanging fruit for me... other options are traversing a rutting out logging road for another 1/2 mile... or cutting 2 inch bushes... or cutting wood that will be unseasoned and that don't burn...

I will leave much of it I'm sure... I been cutting mostly the larger branches as the main truck is over 2 feet dia.. way over.. they are huge!....

I'm leaning towards either pack them out or find something else... no better way... its rugged... Would be easy for someone with a small dozer or a horse that can pull a sled tho.. I'm just not set up for that spot...

already been logged.. all the money entered the opoid crisis.. what a shame... finding anything large enough to spilt is a challenge.. they didn't touch any beech trees tho.. :)

already been logged.. all the money entered the opoid crisis.. what a shame... finding anything large enough to spilt is a challenge.. they didn't touch any beech trees tho.. :)

That’s a good they left you the beech. Good firewood. Too bad it’s already been logged. That idea could have solved your problem!

You had a firewood emergency last year, and this year, you have another firewood emergency. I think I see a pattern.

If you could get a large enough helium balloon, you could float the logs down to your wood stove.

Reactions: SpaceBus
You had a firewood emergency last year, and this year, you have another firewood emergency. I think I see a pattern.

If you could get a large enough helium balloon, you could float the logs down to your wood stove.

Let’s give the benefit of the doubt here. You never know what life throws. Cancer, job loss, etc.

Along the lines of the balloon...maybe one of those things on tv that throws the pumpkins real far? A catapult of some kind? Wind that thing up and run like heck! :)

how about a 200 yard long boom, set up like a teeter totter, with a counter weight...that would swing from hillside to hillside.. ?? and yes I have thought about a catapult.. lol...

think outside the box everyone!!! budget being number 1 priority...:)

A friend of mine keeps finding wood in places he cannot or should not go. He seems obsessed with the hard to get or far away stuff. I'm not sure why. I keep telling him to call tree services, logging companies and golf courses.

Two words:
West Virginia.
I visited once or twice.
Once to climb Seneca. Another to see the new river bridge (grand canyon of the east). I realized why settlers congregated east, then found the pass and made for it. Not sure if hills mean the same thing here and there.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Two words:
West Virginia.
I visited once or twice.
Once to climb Seneca. Another to see the new river bridge (grand canyon of the east). I realized why settlers congregated east, then found the pass and made for it. Not sure if hills mean the same thing here and there.
I climbed Seneca allot. And spent lots of time on the otter creek trail system and on the new river. I need to get back down there with the kids soon they are getting old enough now and they both have taken a liking to climbing

Two words:
West Virginia.
I visited once or twice.
You are from the SE part of WI, and I am from the NW part. The hills and ridges here remind me of how the rockies look in the distance. Very similar look, but much closer (5-10 miles instead of 50). The hills are several hundred feet and some are steep enough you don't want to climb them. I can see why the Sweeds, Norwegians, Germans, and Irish settled here. (My wife is Norwegian, I'm a mutt).

Two words:
West Virginia.
I visited once or twice.
You know why farm land is better in wv? Because you can farm both sides of it!
i thought all kids grew up raking hay on ground the tractor would slide off of sideways...I tend to scare the flat landers where I live now. _g

Reactions: Isaac Carlson