How to transport rounds from inaccessible area. Ideas?

redmanlcs Posted By redmanlcs, Aug 12, 2019 at 3:28 PM

1. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    A mule or burro would be ideal for this situation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bushels20

Bushels20
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Central OH
    Do you own the land? Is it anything a logging company would have any interest in?

Maybe you could work a deal that makes you a little money and also, have them bring the logs down for you (at the cost of paying you less than they otherwise would per board foot). Just a thought.

SpaceBus likes this.
  3. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    If there were better economic conditions in WV we would have moved there instead of ME.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. redmanlcs

redmanlcs
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2017
    Loc:
    West Virginia
    I cut from this area last year do to a "firewood emergency"... I had to have something that I could bun in very short time... The the wood is beech. Earlier I posted that the sapwood is punky but heartwood was good... Beech is all heartwood so what I meant to say is that 1/2 of it is punky but the core is still solid... Larger pieces are heavy... most of it I could pack 2-3 at a time...

The worm drive winch I found at harbor freight for around 30 bucks... I would need 2 or 3 of those I figure... build me a crude sled,, fill it up.. and winch it the distance.. Still sounds like a lot of work...

This year is looking like another "emergency cutting session".. so I think I will be having to visit this area a few times...

As far as "Low hanging fruit"... this is low hanging fruit for me... other options are traversing a rutting out logging road for another 1/2 mile... or cutting 2 inch bushes... or cutting wood that will be unseasoned and that don't burn...

I will leave much of it I'm sure... I been cutting mostly the larger branches as the main truck is over 2 feet dia.. way over.. they are huge!....

I'm leaning towards either pack them out or find something else... no better way... its rugged... Would be easy for someone with a small dozer or a horse that can pull a sled tho.. I'm just not set up for that spot...

5. redmanlcs

redmanlcs
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2017
    Loc:
    West Virginia
    already been logged.. all the money entered the opoid crisis.. what a shame... finding anything large enough to spilt is a challenge.. they didn't touch any beech trees tho.. :)

6. Bushels20

Bushels20
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Central OH
    That’s a good they left you the beech. Good firewood. Too bad it’s already been logged. That idea could have solved your problem!

7. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    You had a firewood emergency last year, and this year, you have another firewood emergency. I think I see a pattern.

If you could get a large enough helium balloon, you could float the logs down to your wood stove.

SpaceBus likes this.
  8. Bushels20

Bushels20
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Central OH

Let’s give the benefit of the doubt here. You never know what life throws. Cancer, job loss, etc.

Along the lines of the balloon...maybe one of those things on tv that throws the pumpkins real far? A catapult of some kind? Wind that thing up and run like heck! :)

9. redmanlcs

redmanlcs
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2017
    Loc:
    West Virginia
    how about a 200 yard long boom, set up like a teeter totter, with a counter weight...that would swing from hillside to hillside.. ?? and yes I have thought about a catapult.. lol...

think outside the box everyone!!! budget being number 1 priority...:)