How well does maple burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Update - the guy hasn’t responded to me after asking about the splitting date of the wood.

Most sellers don't respond when asked because they know you know what you are looking for. I ask sellers just to ask, and most of them go silent or get upset.

I love burning maple, mainly sugar maple & norway maple, I find depending on split size that maple will dry in 1 year when split into average 3-5" splits, knots on the 3" side of things. Maple tends to be messier when splitting but other then that it burns pretty well and does the job great in the depths of winter.

Update - the guy hasn’t responded to me after asking about the splitting date of the wood.
Shocker!

I think it's a good plan to assume any wood I'm getting is green unless proven otherwise. That way you're never disappointed, only pleasantly surprised if it's actually dry. Reason #9393812453 to get ahead on wood!

I know that's not possible for everyone but if you can do it at all it's worth it.

Getting ahead and having dry wood was a huge step forward for us, and it makes a world of difference. Burning wet wood will keep you warm, but having dry wood keeps you comfortable in more than one way. Knowing you have enough for next year, or maybe years after that is a great feeling. It's a bit strange and takes some getting used to the idea that you will watch the wood dry for 1,2,3...years, but that's how it works.

Getting ahead and having dry wood was a huge step forward for us, and it makes a world of difference. Burning wet wood will keep you warm, but having dry wood keeps you comfortable in more than one way. Knowing you have enough for next year, or maybe years after that is a great feeling. It's a bit strange and takes some getting used to the idea that you will watch the wood dry for 1,2,3...years, but that's how it works.

Truth! Once you get ahead (and that takes time & effort!) , It's so much easier!

My next door neighbor installed a new insert Sept 2021, thought he had enough firewood, ran out the beginning of March 2021. I gave him some of mine. You do what you do.

He's now getting seriously ahead of the game. He listened :)

It does take serious effort indeed.
I used it to stay sane during lockdown year. Took me one half year to build the shed and fill it with 9 cords (well, 8.5), which is 3 years ahead for me.

The point is that the serious effort results in a relatedly serious feeling of satisfaction (as with any physical work!).

Reactions: zmender and Dix
We got ahead 2 years ago when we split 20-21 cord. It was a bit of work, but was well worth it. Now we have another bunch to split this year. It sure feels good.

Goal!

I have about 1.5 cords left, having burnt total of 2.5 cords past year. I need to source about ~10 cords this summer and I'll be set all the way to spring 2025.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson