How well is the Stove going before you Leave for Work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Got the stove going , the thing is burning, I usually wait till the temps are up and the secondaries are firing before closing the down in increments.

Now can a person go ahead if on a hot bed of coals and close the air down before stove is up to temps with the idea that with a bed of coals like that and a small amount of fire burning that temps will come up later. As the hot coals isnt going to let the fire die too much.

It is really going to vary from person to person depending on the stove setup, how dry the wood is, and how deep the coal bed is but on average it takes me around 20 minutes to have the stove going in the morning, shut down in two stages and be walking away from it satisfied that it isn't going to smolder. The thing you want to avoid is shutting it down to the point the stove starts to smolder and never takes back off. Dry wood is the key in the quick restarts with no smoldering.

certified106 said:
It is really going to vary from person to person depending on the stove setup, how dry the wood is, and how deep the coal bed is but on average it takes me around 20 minutes to have the stove going in the morning, shut down in two stages and be walking away from it satisfied that it isn't going to smolder. The thing you want to avoid is shutting it down to the point the stove starts to smolder and never takes back off. Dry wood is the key in the quick restarts with no smoldering.

Ditto. I noticed it takes me about 15 minutes with nice dry wood and the firebox packed full to get the temp up. I then shut down the air halfway, grab a cup of coffee, and then shut the air down the rest of the way. At this time I also turn the blowers on to start circulating the air. Takes me about 20-25 minutes to have the stove cruising.

I'd try it while you're at home to see what happens. I have tried this an sometimes it works, other times I get a long smoulder. It is an art, I guess.

Wood Duck said:
I'd try it while you're at home to see what happens. I have tried this an sometimes it works, other times I get a long smoulder. It is an art, I guess.
I have started it that way on numerous occasions and stuck around to watch it. In fact I started it that way this morning and then didn't leave for work due to a water problem at work and I am still sitting here staring at it and it has been fine. It is most definitely an art which is why it will be different for every single stove or person. On my stove I can tell with 3 minutes of shutting the stove down to that final setting whether it was ready or not. I would encourage anyone to try it while you are at home until you have it perfected. I will stress again dry wood is the key if it is hissing when you throw it on all bets are off as to how long it will take to get to a point you can walk away from it. I am lucky enough to have plenty of dry wood I am throwing 6 inch oak rounds in that light like paper due to the fact they are over 4 years old.

As stated, dry wood is the key for what your asking

In the morning, I have an hour from the time I put wood in and when I leave the house. I don't close it down in stages. I let it rip/roar and then close it down when I leave. Mind you, my wife is usually around through the day to tend the stove so it's not like it needs to keep until I get home.

I'm with Wood Duck.

Every situation is different so you can't get a good ansswer here.

Try it when you're home to get a feel for it.

+ whatever number we're up for what others have said . . . that said . . . I purposefully get up early in the winter to make sure the stove is set and cruising with the secondaries firing before I take off . . . that way I know what the stove will be doing since it is doing it already . . .

gerry100 said:
I'm with Wood Duck.

Every situation is different so you can't get a good ansswer here.

Try it when you're home to get a feel for it.
+1
Sage advice.

firefighterjake said:
+ whatever number we're up for what others have said . . . that said . . . I purposefully get up early in the winter to make sure the stove is set and cruising with the secondaries firing before I take off . . . that way I know what the stove will be doing since it is doing it already . . .

+2

We usually get up, load the stove then go about the am stuff..let the dog out, eat, etc. In the mean time as we do the am stuff, we damp down until it's cruising along at about 1/4 open or so with good secondaries.

Bottom line... know your stove. As others mentioned, when you've gotten to know your stove and the fuel you're burning, loading it for bed or work becomes rudimentary. Outcomes will be diff based on brands, load size, fuel, weather, setup, etc. Best bet is play around while you are home so when you do step out, you know what the stove is doing.

Just remember the 7 P rule when setting your alarm clock at night it might help you to set it a 1/2 hour earlier :)

certified106 said:
Just remember the 7 P rule when setting your alarm clock at night it might help you to set it a 1/2 hour earlier :)

7 P rule?

pen

pen said:
certified106 said:

7 P rule?

pen
Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance! :lol:

My Endeavor I liked to give it 40 minutes to an hour, some days more if it decided to go nuclear on me. The way that stove acted was very rarely repeatable, I attribute a lot of that to my chimney, it's near 30' and most stoves are designed around a 15'(??) chimney. The BK I can get it settled in pretty quick in 15-20 minutes, 10 minutes on high burn to char the wood then two more turn down step about 5 minutes apart.

Depends how your air flow in the stove is. As long as i have some type of coal bed, i can just load it up, shut it down and leave. I have doghouse air at the bottom front, which will get anything going in no time at all.

certified106 said:
pen said:
certified106 said:

7 P rule?

pen

Thats a good one. I got to try that.

certified106 said:
pen said:
certified106 said:

7 P rule?

pen

Outstanding and agreed.

pen

Funny seeing this thread on the boards today. I just got off the phone with my wife at home and she was grumbling about lighting the fire up this morning when she woke up, which was a bit surprising, considering I'd left the stove just above closed off and cruising at 6:00. I'm thinking she *may* just have slept in a little later than normal this morning ... :)

If it's above 20* about half a load,below 20* fill it up like an all niter.

By the time I get to the living room in the morning, my wife has a hot fire rolling and the temperature is usually in the high 70's. Before I leave, I ad some wood and cut the air back to almost completely closed and come home to a warm house after work. You gotta love wood heat. :cheese:

I wake up, put a few splits in, turn it on 3 for about 10 minutes, turn it on 2 for 5 minutes, then set it on 1 and leave.
When I get home the house is still a toasty 72-74 with enough wood to last until the next morning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.