How would I make and insert surround sit flush?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhowe007

Hearth Supporter
May 12, 2010
Upstate NY
Hello Everybody,

I'm looking to install an insert into our fireplace that currently has a cultured stone fascia. The cultured stone is rough and some pieces stick out an inch further than others. Once the insert gets put into place, there will be areas where the gaps are pretty big between the surround and the stone. Basically, I can either add material or take away material so that it looks like a professional job.

I've thought about putting a diamond blade on my angle grinder and removing the sections of the stone that will impede the surround from sitting flush. Another option would be cutting out 2-4 inches from the edge of the surround the whole way around and adding some type of trim.

Any ideas are appreciated.

I think...if I'm picturing this accurately...that I would opt for your first idea. Mark as accurately as you can where the surround "wants" to be, and remove material as gracefully as you can to let it find its resting place. Rick

How about no surround as an option? Depending on the stove it may look like crap, or better than the overlapping surround.

Also, maybe if you provide the insert model, and dimensions of the fireplace, and pictures, you will get lots of ideas.

This will be tough to describe and perceive, but i will try: In the past, in other homes, we had two gas inserts where the surround was cut on the inner edges (the edges that meet the stove) so that the outer edges of the surround fit inside the stone fireplace opening, flush with the face of the fireplace. In other words, the surround did not overlap the front of the stone fireplace opening....

I've done it in different ways. You can install without panels - you can use a screen as a panel - and that screen should fit relatively close with an inside fit (either a solid screen or even a mesh screen if you have room for the track up against the lintel).

Here is another way I've done it. find a relatively flat area a bit back from the face of the fireplace - maybe 2 inches back - install a 2 inch x 2 inch black angle of sheet metal there on all three surfaces - two sides and the top. Then make the panels small enough so they go against that angle......

Lastly, you could get really fancy and make or modify surround panels for a relatively good inside fit.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 408
I would just do a great job on the block off plate and skip the surround

Webmaster said:
I've done it in different ways. You can install without panels - you can use a screen as a panel - and that screen should fit relatively close with an inside fit (either a solid screen or even a mesh screen if you have room for the track up against the lintel).

Here is another way I've done it. find a relatively flat area a bit back from the face of the fireplace - maybe 2 inches back - install a 2 inch x 2 inch black angle of sheet metal there on all three surfaces - two sides and the top. Then make the panels small enough so they go against that angle......

Lastly, you could get really fancy and make or modify surround panels for a relatively good inside fit.

Are there any pictures on here of installs done with this method? I like the idea of doing this but want to see how it looks and figure out how I can adapt it to my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.