Thoughts on dressing up insert that sticks out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FramerJ

Mar 18, 2021
Missouri
After reading a ton of posts on the advantages of a flush insert sticking out past the masonry front, I decided I liked that idea. However, I wanted to see how it would look so I made a full scale mock up of the insert (Neo 2.5) with the flush surround panel.
20210330_154831.jpg

I installed it in the fireplace. The back of the insert hits the upper row of firebrick and it sticks out 3.5"
20210330_155113.jpg

20210330_154919.jpg

My thinking is that I would like to dress up that gap but still gain any advantage of having more of the insert sticking out. So what if I fabricated some thin steel bars, maybe 3/16" thick by 3.5" wide and make my own trim kit extension to match the surround panel. I would put this up against the stone and then have the insert butt up to that. I would paint the steel black with hi temp paint. I made a sample using some wood trim pieces for a visual.
1617148037131.png

1617148130924.png

Is there any reason why this wouldnt work? Do I gain or lose anything heatwise? Should I drill holes in the extension trim kit to let any of the hot air come out into the room or leave it alone for radiant heat, if any?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

20210330_154831.jpg 20210330_154919.jpg 20210330_155113.jpg

You can do that without an issue. We extend surrounds ALL the
time by welding returns on the top & sides...
If you have a block off plate installed, the majority
of your BTUs will heat the stone & the room.

I doubt that would make much heating difference at all. It's not like a non-flush insert with more radiant surface exposed.

You can do that without an issue. We extend surrounds ALL the
time by welding returns on the top & sides...
If you have a block off plate installed, the majority
of your BTUs will heat the stone & the room.
Here I thought I had a clever idea. Well good to know its a common application. Thanks

Reactions: DAKSY
I doubt that would make much heating difference at all. It's not like a non-flush insert with more radiant surface exposed.
Well it was worth a shot. At least it will dress up that gap. Thanks