howl when flame gets high.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spoolie25

Oct 18, 2017
north nj
hi guys i have a whitfeild cascade and i am getting a howl/train like sound when the flame gets taller? i have cleaned the stove the fans seem to be ok. i am a noob. this stove only has one motor for intake and exh fan. not sure if this is comn or not? any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
dam that's what i was thinking too. i am new to thing but i am a mechanic and pretty handy. i think i just wanted to hear something different. thank you. i almost seems like i wont pull the air out fast enough. when its on low or the flame is low it does not do it.

dam that's what i was thinking too. i am new to thing but i am a mechanic and pretty handy. i think i just wanted to hear something different. thank you. i almost seems like i wont pull the air out fast enough. when its on low or the flame is low it does not do it.
I just put a new convection blower in an almost new P4 that was doing the same thing. If you pull it out and listen to it you'll know for sure.

I have different stove but right now I have to light by tourch until new ignitor comes in. But when I light I toss a hand full of pellets in and light so the flame is bigger than normal. It's trying to pull so much air that is sucks air around glass and howels until I open up damper or fire dyes down

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

hi guys i have a whitfeild cascade and i am getting a howl/train like sound when the flame gets taller? i have cleaned the stove the fans seem to be ok. i am a noob. this stove only has one motor for intake and exh fan. not sure if this is comn or not? any help would be great.

It’s turbulence in the venting. As heat is moving through the pipe it makes that sound.

It’s turbulence in the venting. As heat is moving through the pipe it makes that sound.
Ok. Are the vent pipes properly sealed with metal tape or RTV silicone? Maybe the seal on a connection is sucking air? Leaky flue pipes can suck in air leading to whistling / howling sounds.

i will tape them tommrow. could it be the way the duct work comes out of the stove about a foot to a 45 another foot than it 90s before it goes up and 5 feet to another 45 then out side? i might just buy another fan for the hell of it worst case is i have an extra no harm in that.

i will tape them tommrow. could it be the way the duct work comes out of the stove about a foot to a 45 another foot than it 90s before it goes up and 5 feet to another 45 then out side? i might just buy another fan for the hell of it worst case is i have an extra no harm in that.
Sounds like a plan. ;)
I would check your owner's manual for the flue length recommendations. In the meantime, here is some general information:

Equivalent Vent Length Calculation

To calculate EVL use following formula:

for each 90 Elbow or T fitting = add 5 EVL

for each 45 Elbow = add 3 EVL

for each Horizontal run of vent = add 1 EVL per foot of horizontal venting

for each Vertical run of vent = add 1/2 EVL per foot of vertical venting

YOU MUST USE 4” STAINLESS STEEL RIGID OR FLEXIBLE VENT PIPE IF:

The EVL is 7 or more AND your are at or above an altitude of 3000 ft.
OR
The EVL is 15 or more
OR
Your unit is an insert.

I have a quad that will make a howling sound when run on the high setting. It is the air being drawn in thru the holes in the burn pot that supply combustion air. Nothing to worry about. Just Noisy. (Thus the term "Roaring Fire")