How's Your Tonnage??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PelletPusher said:
All you whiners..was it a surprise that it was gonna get cold this year and you were gonna need pellets to keep your tootsies warm this winter. Scurrying around like field mice
trying to find pellets. If you had early bought there would be no problem and the price would have been right,
this is especially for you pellet guys who have burned in past seasons. This is my first season with a stove and I knew that you need fuel for the fire.
I have enough "EARLY BUY" to get me through the winter so you don't have to worry about me buying out the big box stores
I truly hope that you all have a warm and toasty winter
I'm done venting(not direct vent) let the pummeling begin.

Jay

You must have meant - "All you swiners" LMAO :lol:

eernest4 said:
No wonder there is a pellet shortage here in new england with all you pellet pigs
hording 4 ton 5 ton and 8 ton stashes.

I spent all afternoon & 1/4 tank of gas going to 4 stores just to hear sorry we are all sold out & we dont know when we are going to get any more or what the price will be when we do. And I was only planning on buying 15 or 20 bags.

You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselves.

I have 1/2 ton of assorted pellets, twenty five bags, 15 of which were left over from the ton I bought last winter & 10 bags that i bought this year.

Its a good thing that I have 4 cords of fire wood split ,stored & seasoned or else I would be in big trouble. I am just going to have to run my secondary burn wood stove a lot more & my pellet stove infrequently to make up for all the pellet hogs overstocking & hoarding the pellet supply.

I have to agree in part here. Hoarding pellet fuel for more than one season knowing there is a production shortage is a mental disorder.

Yea, I could have been a pellet pig also but I know there are many other folks trying to convert over from oil in my area. In my area some retailers are starting to cap sales to satisfy demands

However.....I know for a fact....that HD AND Lowes are doing the exact same thing.....bought MASSIVE amounts and only metering them when they feel good and ready at THEIR prices. A friend is the boss for the contractor desk near me and he stated that exact thing when I approached him with what I saw a couple weeks or so ago. I asked HD if they had pellets....NOPE was all I got and I asked when they would get some.....they said a couple weeks. So I took it at that. I began to wander in the heaven of homeowners(HD) and I was in the siding area....I saw the overhead door nearby open....so I was glimpsing outside....I noticed there was many many pallets of pellets. Hmm.....so my blunt upfront personality kicked in and I asked the guy on the forklift moving about.....are those the pellets that you guys are currently selling....the guy said "Yeah....but those arent for sale". I was like.....what do you mean their not for sale...are they sold or taken? He said....."nope, just not ready for the floor yet" So I just made a comment to him......."waiting to see where oil prices settle huh?" He just looked at me with one of those looks like he wanted to say....."of course". I was a little bothered.....I said fine......I'll buy mine at Lowes! lol....not that they had any either but it felt good to say it. lol

Oh well.....

That is so true. Went in a local HD store last week and all they had out was some crappy Eureka brand. My wife talked to a garden guy on phone and he said they had "TONS" out back out-of-sight (Fireside and Freedom Fuel). They'll put them out when they can make the most money, basta**s.

I buy from my local dealer or TSC only.

DiggerJim said:
Pellet pigs don't squeal - they're too busy lazing around in front of a warm stove...you can rub their bellies though :)

:lol:

We need Craig to add a "pellet pig smiley" to the list of smileys.

zeta said:
DiggerJim said:
Pellet pigs don't squeal - they're too busy lazing around in front of a warm stove...you can rub their bellies though :)

I second motion- That would be so funny!
Craig? Where are you?

tinkabranc said:
zeta said:
DiggerJim said:

I second motion- That would be so funny!
Craig? Where are you?

That would be AWESOME!!!

4 Tons of Lignetics bought over the summer averaged out to $250 a ton. My first season with pellets but I've been burning wood for years. I figured the same rules applied, get your stash together for the season or be left out in the cold. Ever hear of the story of the Grasshopper and the Ant? The fable concerns a grasshopper who has spent the warm months singing away while the ant worked to store up food for winter. I think all you Grasshoppers should plan ahead next season.

zeta said:
DiggerJim said:

Pellet pig in a straight jacket according to ROF. You guys are in some crazed panic buying/hoarding trance! LOL :cheese:

Groundhog said:
4 Tons of Lignetics bought over the summer averaged out to $250 a ton. My first season with pellets but I've been burning wood for years. I figured the same rules applied, get your stash together for the season or be left out in the cold. Ever hear of the story of the Grasshopper and the Ant? The fable concerns a grasshopper who has spent the warm months singing away while the ant worked to store up food for winter. I think all you Grasshoppers should plan ahead next season.

GroundHog, if you transported the pellets yourself, you're eligible for membership into the Pellet Pig Club.....aka Pellet Hoarders by ROF.

And the grasshopper story reminds me of the old Kung-Fu show. ("grasshopper, when you can take the coin from my hand, you may leave").....but we have to substitute "pellet" now for coin. :lol:

Picked them up myself, two tons at a time in my buddies Mitsubishi dump.

I've got one ton on my patio and I'll probably buy another in a few weeks. There's no shortage here in Wisconsin so I don't have to "stock up".

Next spring I will do an "early buy" but I was broke this year and missed the best prices. I may even put in a bulk bin next to the house so I can save even more...

I've got 3 ton of Penningtons, one ton NEWP, and another ton of Somersets......... all bought back in July. I should be all set for the year. I almost feel bad for people paying $330 / ton today...... if they can find them. Almost.

can't tell if I'm actually eligible for PP membership...I'm kind of in a gray area.

I do have 3 tons on hand...but I didn't get them all before the first frost.

I did cash-n-carry...but only 1 of the 3 tons.

why didn't I get them earlier? I didn't know. I'm a noob.

I ordered 24 tons last March for this years burning. Does this get me into the PP club???

rap69ri said:
I ordered 24 tons last March for this years burning. Does this get me into the PP club???

24 tons for this year?? Whatcha doing, heating the whole state? ;-P

tinkabranc said:
rap69ri said:

24 tons for this year?? Whatcha doing, heating the whole state? ;-P

Sort of...I made the purchase for myself, some family members and another Hearth forum member.

4 tons in the garage for my 750 sqf house..
first full winter and not sure how much Ill burn..
so I sucked up 4 tons into my pig pen and will know better at winters end as to how much I really needed.

Oink

Got 4 ton @ 199.00 a ton. First year burn. Got "Log Hard" Premium. Nothing to compare to, but
am satisfied so far. No fines in the bags at all, and very little ash. Have bags stored in the same
room with the pellet furnace. Warm, cozy and convenient. The wife can usually find me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.