How's your wood supply for next winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carbon_Liberator said:
I suspect when the move to Maine they will find things a little more of a challenge as they will need to prepare ahead a little more.
I don't know about that Jake, as long as they have a sympathetic relative nearby who has plenty of well seasoned wood on hand, getting their firewood might be even easier than it was out West. ;-)

:) :) :)

I like 'em . . . but I like being nice and toasty warm even more.

Actually they should make out pretty well in the first year . . . grandmother left behind some firewood that is several years old . . . and my cousin cut and split 2-3 cords for them last Fall.

I've got around 3 cords c/s/s of glorious Cottonwood and probably 2 cord of CW rounds in my staging area. I just scored around a cord or two of Ash on Sunday and 1-2 cords of silver maple yesterday, all of which needs to be split and stacked. I got some really big (16" diameter) russian olive with some more silver maple on Friday...that stuff seems pretty dense but I have no idea how it will burn.

I'm taking some time off from tree service deliveries and scrounging until I get this all processed so I should have around 7-10 cords ready for next year.

I have 5 cord cut,split and stacked for 2011-2012 burn......100% red and white oak..... i am now starting to work on 2012-2013, that should be done,(c/s/s) by early summer 50% oak,20% ash and 30 % red maple, next fall will be for 2013-2014,.... going to have a big jump come this winter, and a big pile of wood! lol....

DaFattKidd said:
You guys are way ahead. That's awesome. I only have 1 1/2 cords that c/s/s that will be seasoned over a year and ready for the heating season. What woods should I look for that will season fast? I'm thinking locust and sugar maple- What about hickory? how long does that take to season?

Birch seasons pretty fast, I reckon it can be cut now before the sap rises, and be ready to burn next Winter.
I was lucky and found another couple of standing dead birch trees this afternoon.
One has already become fallen dead, and will be processed tomorrow, when I can get it home.
No point in leaving some nice bucked wood laying there for someone else's wood supply..........

I'm really getting ahead of the game now (well not compared to some of you Nuts...). Just finishing my 2'nd burning season here soon and should finish up with 8-10 splits left over, lol.
I have a 2.25-2.5 cord Holz Hausen of Elm, Mulberry and Red Oak stacked in the middle of last summer; a 3/4 cord single stack of Mulberry & Silver Maple just stacked in Feb;and somewhere around 3 cord of Mulberry, Elm & Silver Maple in rounds in the yard to be split & stacked. I've only been going through about 3 cord/year so I'm well into 12/13 wood now :cheese:

I am much better off than last year, when I had less than a cord. Now have more than 2 cords and have spotted some downed trees for scrounging. Pretty soon I'll run out of my wife's limits on storage space.

I've got 9 cords of birch coming, first delivery will be on Sunday!

I'm buying firewood this year. Was going to get a logging truck load, nine cords for 1800, found someone who'll cut it to length for me for $175 a cord. Those prices probably sound pretty high to you folks, but around here, seasoned birch cut to length goes for $300 a cord. I know I'm getting green, winter-cut wood, but that's okay--it'll season. My 30y.o. pu is only good as a wood hauler on my property--not road worthy at the moment-- and with a knee that acts up and gets creaky on a regular basis, I think this is the course of wisdom. I can eke that birch out with a couple of cords of poplar each year, and those 9 cords should last me about three years, four if I get the boiler fixed and burn some oil as well.

My goal is to get one more 3-cord order this summer, and be set up for years to come. Figure the price of everything is going up, and so will firewood. Prices on wood went way up in 2008 when the fuel prices went up, so I feel more comfortable having it on hand.

After pulling the firewood in from the stacks in the woods all winter, it's going to be so cool to have it cut and ready a few steps away from the back door! And more good news--found some more good wood under the snow down the hill, so instead of just scraping by for the rest of the winter, I've got enough down there to not have to worry about using up my wood.

snowleopard said:
My goal is to get one more 3-cord order this summer, and be set up for years to come. Figure the price of everything is going up, and so will firewood. Prices on wood went way up in 2008 when the fuel prices went up, so I feel more comfortable having it on hand.

You only have to watch world events, and people buying commodities on the futures markets.
Having a big wood stash is like you own fuel futures!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.