HUGE Oak Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wawa Coffee

Jul 24, 2016
SEPA
We've had a couple of thunderstorms over the last week. Last night a 383 year old oak came down. I've passed this tree on way way to work every day for the last decade. Just an enormous beautiful tree.

Thought I'd share this amazing pic. bd2ce5a88e84a5775c5d9cd2779413fa.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'v got several just like this tree,White Oak one is six feet across and I
am afraid this is what is going to become of mine. They are all what I call ripe and brittle the worms got to them some this year, first time for this but I am sure it will weaken them more leaves have grown out at
this time we'll see what goes??

A 200+ year old bur oak near me gave up the ghost, and I felt so bad about that it surprised me. But 383 is a good run! I like to do a timeline of what the tree lived through.

I was introduced to an oak alleged to be 450 years old.
[/ATTACH] upload_2017-7-28_1-32-7.jpeg

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'd see if you can cut a disk from the trunk. It's quite a task and you might need to rent an extra-long bar chainsaw. Once cut, clean it up and seal it. I've seen people mount them with pins at various rings marking historic world events over the life of the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd see if you can cut a disk from the trunk. It's quite a task and you might need to rent an extra-long bar chainsaw. Once cut, clean it up and seal it. I've seen people mount them with pins at various rings marking historic world events over the life of the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love to but the township is all over that tree with deciding what will be done with the wood.

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/norristown/montcos-historic-massive-methacton-oak-felled-storm

The trunk looks hollow....curious where they got the 383 years from....looks more like 378 to me!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I got as well lol.

We've had a couple of thunderstorms over the last week. Last night a 383 year old oak came down. I've passed this tree on way way to work every day for the last decade. Just an enormous beautiful tree.

Thought I'd share this amazing pic.View attachment 198806

It looks like the trunk of that old oak is upright but displaced at least 20 feet on the horizontal from where it would have been growing. I thought Oaks had a big tap root. How did that happen?

That's a sad sight.