Huge oak score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hartkem

Jan 24, 2012
KC
I usually post in the boiler section but thought you guys would appreciate this one. Counting the tree rings put this big boy at 87 years. Took 5 guys to flop these pieces on the trailer.

IMG_4446.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

Last edited:
Good lord that's big. I've always preferred busting them into smaller pieces before bringing it home. If one of those big bastards rolls the wrong way you could be out of work for a while..

Counting the tree rings put this big boy at 87 years.
I'm sure you're right, but that thing grew fast. Looks like a 200-300 year old tree. I just got done with a red about half that size and counted over 100 rings. Nice score.

I'm sure you're right, but that thing grew fast. Looks like a 200-300 year old tree. I just got done with a red about half that size and counted over 100 rings. Nice score.

I was thinking the same thing. I had one taken down a few years ago that was 42 inches at the base. I don't remember the exact ring count but I think it was around 120.

Oww, my back! <>
Yep. Location, location, location. This one had about 110 rings. Big Pin Oak at the bottom of a valley with hog m'nure water coming down off a farm field. Pretty sure this one woulda been a state record, given time. If only the clown across the street hadn't kept pestering the county to take it down, which they finally did.... :(
001.JPG

Last edited:
Go big or go cold, be careful with those monsters.

bob

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman