Hum again. Moving a House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Would copper sheeting be okay for a wall backing for a wood stove or would it get too hot and maybe need spacers for it?
Thanks clancey
It's a non combustible, so no problem. If you wanted to use spacers it would not hurt anything and would make your wall behind the copper cooler.

If you already have the needed clearance to the wall, no spacer needed...if not then you will need 1" off the floor and 1" off the wall.

Clearances are there and thanks everyone....I am a worry wort and worry about all those things..thanks everyone..clancey

Would copper sheeting be okay for a wall backing for a wood stove or would it get too hot and maybe need spacers for it?
Thanks clancey
Why do you feel the need for a wall backing at all? If the stove is installed according to the required clearances you can put anything or nothing on the wall

I like the industrial look--depends on what you do with it and in this particular case wanted something that could be cleaned easily and at the same time not get too hot where it might burn the house down or something--lol clancey

Well I have done a lot of research on the Hum and its a world wide thing with thousands and thousands of people experiencing it.. A lot of people chalk it up to tinnitus but I still and a whole lot of others have checked this out and found out it has nothing to do with it although it sounds exactly the same with the same symptoms.There is all kinds of information out there about this hum situation in many many different countries of the world.. It started years ago and is still going strong...I checked out my little house really good by paying for experts to come in and take measurements and readings to see what kind of energy readings are in my house and where the higher ones are because I can feel pressure on my skin..I am not the only one and this is not a tin foil thing and many people are trying to adjust to living like this and it is terrible 24 hours a day with no relief and many have been searching for the reasons for years..I can hear this noise and vibration all over the city and even in the mountain areas with much lesser distress. Because I have aluminum siding on my home and I believe the hum hissing noise is being amplified by the copper water pipes and aluminum siding which makes it louder especially at night time...Only about 2 percent of the population can hear this noise and no one entering my home hears it.. I took readings of the energy levels, check out all plumbing conditions as well as electrical boxes and generators even made searches about the cost of house lifting or moving to no avail.. So I am at a stand still here and today I called the gas company to see what they can do and of course I have little faith left that something can be done. Right now I am taking a print of a pfd article that is 42 pages long so that I can read it with leisure and decided to share the website with you just in case you might want to be interested in this type of knowledge and at least to become aware of it.. old mrs clancey

Well I have done a lot of research on the Hum and its a world wide thing with thousands and thousands of people experiencing it.. A lot of people chalk it up to tinnitus but I still and a whole lot of others have checked this out and found out it has nothing to do with it although it sounds exactly the same with the same symptoms.There is all kinds of information out there about this hum situation in many many different countries of the world.. It started years ago and is still going strong...I checked out my little house really good by paying for experts to come in and take measurements and readings to see what kind of energy readings are in my house and where the higher ones are because I can feel pressure on my skin..I am not the only one and this is not a tin foil thing and many people are trying to adjust to living like this and it is terrible 24 hours a day with no relief and many have been searching for the reasons for years..I can hear this noise and vibration all over the city and even in the mountain areas with much lesser distress. Because I have aluminum siding on my home and I believe the hum hissing noise is being amplified by the copper water pipes and aluminum siding which makes it louder especially at night time...Only about 2 percent of the population can hear this noise and no one entering my home hears it.. I took readings of the energy levels, check out all plumbing conditions as well as electrical boxes and generators even made searches about the cost of house lifting or moving to no avail.. So I am at a stand still here and today I called the gas company to see what they can do and of course I have little faith left that something can be done. Right now I am taking a print of a pfd article that is 42 pages long so that I can read it with leisure and decided to share the website with you just in case you might want to be interested in this type of knowledge and at least to become aware of it.. old mrs clancey

The problem is that infrasound is real sound. Just at a frequency the human ear normally can't hear (does not mean the body can't experience it). Sound is moving atoms (in solid) or moving molecules (in gas).

The, ahem, energy levels are a completely different animal. RF, wifi, EM. Has nothing to do with moving atoms. Instead it is either moving electrons or just photons.

One can't explain one with the other.

It would be advisable to go to a library (rather than online) and get an introduction to sound, EM, etc. Libraries have a very, VERY low rate of bogus information. It is curated and trustable. (As long as one does not go to the fiction side of things...)

Yea your right with that but I had to begin to look somewhere for a start and electricity and 5G light pole is where it was at so I spent money for many readings--which now in retrospect most likely was a waste of money but I was trying to get out of the buying of the different gadgets to measure the energy levels..I do know my home....I can tell you what energy level and where and what dirty electricity level and where and whats coming into my windows and doors...lol It was a eye opening experience let me tell you...I love libraries and know them well and that suggestion was a good one..Right now I am reading a very interesting gas pipeline article that is professionally done..I called up the gas company today so I am now on gas pipe line investigations and research--won;t hurt anything for I am trying to solve the problem besides moving off the grid at my old age...clancey

I read that 42 page report and God Bless That Author--for he is definitely on the right track..I suggest you all when you get time read it as well...I know my answer now and now I am waiting for the gas company to call me back to see if they can do anything..clancey

I like the industrial look--depends on what you do with it and in this particular case wanted something that could be cleaned easily and at the same time not get too hot where it might burn the house down or something--lol clancey
Better check with your local building code and insurance company. If you put that behind your stove you are now changing your clearance and may not meet minimum code

Yea I get you and it is much cheaper for me to leave it for now without anything on the walls no matter how pretty it might be and that industrial look (metal) does take up some room that could change the clearance and the stove is already in place..I will eventually put just tile on the walls but for now I am leaving it with nothing but cement board and seeking out possible different materials. I am thinking of a blue color for the tile--so it would be black and blue and I think that would look pretty but wanting just the right color of blue...lol My insurance company already checked out the stove and I had to buy a few things like co detectors and fire extinguishers and keeping flammable things so many feet away from the stove and he had a rolling tape measurement device that he rolled all around..He's a stickler...I also need to finish out my roofing because my company will not insure my house unless the peak of the house is finished with new roofing..This has been quite a trip here but it is almost finished now..The roofing will be finished next month I believe at this point and I will get the same roofing that I finished the other parts of the roof with by the same company..I will try to winter here and do something different in the spring possibly move...This depends at this stage of my life...I want to see what the gas company does about the sounds that I hear 24 hours a day for it is very very annoying to say the least. Thanks for the post and will keep everyone up to date on this situation..I called the gas company yesterday so it begins and waiting for them to call back...That last reading that I done with the 42 pages was a eye opener and hoping people might take some time to read it if they are interested in information like this--well written and easy to understand and it makes a whole bunch of sense as well...The address of the piece is in the prior posting in regard to the hum noises....Thanks old mrs clancey

Better check with your local building code and insurance company. If you put that behind your stove you are now changing your clearance and may not meet minimum code
As long as what you are adding is non-combustible and you met clearances originally it's fine