Hum again. Moving a House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I did a fair amount of reading on this subject. And one thing I found was every single source I found that claimed there was a danger from exposure to wifi etc also contained direct links to the devices being sold to midigate these issues. The ones saying it wasn't an issue were typically govt or established medical information sites. Or they cited those studies in the article.

That's interesting and I guess it depends on who you believe,,The thing about it I heard the meters and heard the soundings as well as felt the difference the minute wifi was completely abated and the hairs on my arms are not raise up a bit no more. These thing I experienced direct evidence on...I am not selling anything and I guess it is up to who do you believe when you read those articles. Its all a matter of belief and who you can trust...thanks for reading it and i did my best---this "old fashion way" of computering "is a mess" and has a lot to be desired.. I miss my wifi...lol Need to get a message machine too for my phone and hook up even more wires so trying to figure out things now.. What a trip this all is...lol clancey

People like your "inspector" should be arrested for preying on people. Karma is a b!tch and he will get his in the end.

Reactions: sloeffle
Your not the only one with that opinion Kd and the bottom line is "who do you believe"...I am pretty smart for my age and usually can figure out people pretty darn well. His whole life style was maintaining health he was not a "fly by night" person and just doing a job that he liked to do in order to try to help people feel more healthier in their homes--at least get to know their homes --if this is important to them. For me it is very important and for me to buy all those different gadgets that he had for testing it would have cost me a fortune for a one time use so I pulled the plug on this to find out about "this old house"---I only had one home in my whole life moving around from place to place and in one apartment after another as a kid. When the rent came we were moving again--extreme poverty...So Kd my house is important to me and I was curious on what all these gadgets had in the way of electricity coming out of them clean or otherwise...People have different skill levels and different lines of work to make their livings and its all a matter of who do you believe? I am a believer in a higher power and that guides my life and helps me make my decisions hoping they are the right ones...You are the same making decisions about your life purposes and I say "We all do the best that we can with our own lifestyles" when we make our everyday decisions--to each his own..Now I have a problem of getting used to technology of yesterday including no wifi--what a drag but I am loving it..clancey

Last edited:
If it makes you feel better then more power to you, just giving my opinion on the matter. I wish you the best.

Don't know if I can explain this but here goes...This energy gadget man (inspector) was concerned about these next few pictures if I can explain them and get them on here for you with this old fashion way of computing...(hard wired)-hate it...lol
Well anyway...White thin pipe at bottom of ledge goes across on the ledge to the electric box and connects to it..This pipe comes from the bottom of the city big pipe coming into the house.. Now the bottom of the ledge wall is cracking and this is a brand new thing that happened when they put the 5g pole in and I am hoping these pictures help explain what I am trying to write here...The electrical measurement in this area of the piping by the plumbing is really high and of course the electrical box is high to be expected I guess but "off the charts here" and the thin white piping has a very very slight vibration as well...So my fine feathered forum friends lets see what you all come up with about this situation..The gadget man says it is a ground that people used for electricity..??? Greek to me and the pictures will be on the next posting because i do not know if I can put them on here right now doing this the old fashion way...clancey....

Here are the pictures of the basement..

Basement walls 001.JPG Basement walls 011.JPG Basement walls 004.JPG

Did you get your house checked for radon?
Shouldn't the so called "inspector" checked for radon ? That home inspection 101 type stuff around here. My bet is, he doesn't have friends in the radon business. ;)

Don't know if I can explain this but here goes...This energy gadget man (inspector) was concerned about these next few pictures if I can explain them and get them on here for you with this old fashion way of computing...(hard wired)-hate it...lol
Well anyway...White thin pipe at bottom of ledge goes across on the ledge to the electric box and connects to it..This pipe comes from the bottom of the city big pipe coming into the house.. Now the bottom of the ledge wall is cracking and this is a brand new thing that happened when they put the 5g pole in and I am hoping these pictures help explain what I am trying to write here...The electrical measurement in this area of the piping by the plumbing is really high and of course the electrical box is high to be expected I guess but "off the charts here" and the thin white piping has a very very slight vibration as well...So my fine feathered forum friends lets see what you all come up with about this situation..The gadget man says it is a ground that people used for electricity..??? Greek to me and the pictures will be on the next posting because i do not know if I can put them on here right now doing this the old fashion way...clancey....
The big pipe is your sewer line...the smaller pipe looks to be a water line...they sometimes use the water line as a ground, but it shouldn't be your only ground...should be a ground wire going from your electric panel out to a ground round in the ground outside the foundation...is there? You don't want to rely solely on a water line for ground...any plumbing changes made lately?

Shouldn't the so called "inspector" checked for radon ? That home inspection 101 type stuff around here. My bet is, he doesn't have friends in the radon business. ;)
I don't doubt she can hear a humming noise at certain times, but I agree the special inspector might have a conflict of interest going on here. The cobbled together wiring likely hums when high load appliances are being used or maybe when everyone in the neighborhood is home the collective draw makes the transformers hum as well as the home wiring.

He mentioned a radon test and said I could send away for the testing and it is simple to do but takes time in evaluating.. I found a thing outside the electric meter box and have a picture of it here and this is connected to the electric meter as well as another box that comes from the generator.. Bren---your on the right track I think here because I did have some plumbing done with adding a fixture in the laundry room that is copper piping for heat as well as a shower put in that laundry room a few years ago but this noise has only been here since they have been working on the street outside with the water pipe diggings and stuff and the digging for the 5g pole at the same time. Also in the road they put in some metal things under the road and i have no idea of what they are? I wonder if--(this might be stupid)---if they could have their wiring or something mixing up with the underground water stuff and it is coming into my house with my water connection underground to their plumbing underground (piping and stuff) because there was a thick three colored wire that ended up in the back yard area connected to the pole....As far as the noise of the hum is concerned I am accepting this and figure it is just city wide and most people cannot hear it..I do believe my ears are fine..I do believe that they put in something to where one "might here shots or something as well as something for electric cars in the future--I think--not sure--... I am sending away for a radon testing and my gadget man will test it for me for free and I guess we need to send it away somewhere for the results and this takes time..I will see my ear doctor in about two weeks and so far everything is fine...I am losing hope that this issue will be solved and the best that i can do is make a safer home for me for now..One thing I have noticed rather a few things: My hair on my arms no longer stand up at times. My eyes are not dry shut in the morning and I do not wake up with dry eyes as well as this which is unbelievable to me---I sleep all night long and now I have a few dreams something that i have not experienced in years. I feel so much better with even the little abatements we have done.. For the hum noise I think I will just have to learn to live with it believing that every major city will have them if they do not have them at this time..I think people sensitive to these things maybe find another place to live that takes these type of sensitivities into consideration..I can see the difference and the gadget man this inspector "lives his whole life" "just like his work ethic" and i do believe him and have "faith" in him as well...People have all kinds of jobs who I am to not like some if they are trying to benefit people even if the price seems a little high to some other people--this is city living ...we checked out this whole house and he even got on the roof--I have readings galore..lol...We with a few filters on electric sockets as well as a few separating the electrical things outside from touching the metal--little round white things that go between things..and getting rid of wifi and hard wiring--all this "I can feel and see the difference".. I moved my bed and brought the reading down to 700 instead of in the many thousands--I held the meter and we tested different areas and now I am going to get on the net those bed shieldings and they cost a lot of money so I wait awhile but that would give me more relief and bring the readings to O...Having a like "safe space" or something..I guess they call them canopies or something...So I just work on it and he thinks somehow the grounding wires might be one of the problems if they connect to the city piping if they use them for grounding because the reading is so high in that area--we do not know at this point but we are trying to lower the electric gadget readings so that I have less pressure or whatever in my home..It was amazing to see the different on the aluminum siding in contrast to the old windows with the energy coming in..Right now we are working on (in the future)--radon---and getting me some kind of switch that connects to something plumbing or electricity--don't know and somehow shuts off all connection and power to my bedroom at night time so that I can continue to get a good nights sleep and lower that reading to the lowest possible..He told me that I might have toxic withdraws from this wifi taken out and changes and I Laugh at this not really believing that I would---let me tell you---for two days I felt "out of it" and "kind of lost my balance feeling" and kind of "in another world type of feeling"..as well as feeling sick in my stomach like drinking too cold of milk or something....This is Ripleys Believe it or Not...---thank you so much for your interest time and support....as we continue this "tin foil journey"..clancey

That is a simple grounding wire to provide one common ground for your electrical system.
It should be connected to your main electrical box

So that's what it is---now could the city piping coming inside the house (under the ground about --guessing here--8ft be connected to that 5G stuff because it is right next to it--just a question here--is it a possibility of them mingling together somehow. Thanks..clancey

So that's what it is---now could the city piping coming inside the house (under the ground about --guessing here--8ft be connected to that 5G stuff because it is right next to it--just a question here--is it a possibility of them mingling together somehow. Thanks..clancey
Anything is possible!! I would expect that the grounding rod would be capable of picking up stray electrical "noise" in the ground near your home, and then conduct or "back feed" that noise into your home. Very interesting stuff.

I think with all of our ideas we are getting closer to solving the problem at least for my house..because it is echoing the noise somehow...On the outside of the house I still hear the noise but its more subtle sounding and bearable and I travel to a few different areas of the city and outside and can still hear it as a low sound in the background even in restaurants and home depot I can still hear it as I go through the aisles. I think it is city wide and each large city will have its own hum but only about 20% or less of people can hear these noises. Now the best that I can do is to write a letter to the electric company and plumbing company and the cell phone company and see what their reply is--at least I have some information here to work with and they know when they dug up the streets in my area and sidewalks as well and they did not even let us know just put the safety horses and sand bags up.., and then drew all kinds of arrows and different colors with charcoal. That was our warning...Now the house moving company has not called back but now I am just going to stay in my home through thick and thin and fight all this from here..Nobody will do anything but at least I will know I did what I could as well as having a pretty good idea of what it might be...Today I am waiting for my computer person to get my computer and printer back on track with this hard wiring so this is going to be exciting since he absolutely dislikes "older computers". I have messed it up so bad that my writing in my mail--one letter is four inches high and I cannot get my mail and the printer won't do anything and I have that hard wired too--wait till he sees that because he just fix it awhile back. He is always grumpy..clancey

Last edited:
did that "inspector" switch off all power (the main breaker of your home)?
If so, did you hear it still inside?

If so, did that ground cable get disconnected? If it is the grounding that picks up 60 Hz from the pole, disconnecting the wire from the rod should solve that.
(I assume (!) that this - temporarily (!) disconnecting the grounding wire from the rod - is ok to do once the main breaker is off - but I hope someone with real (code) knowledge corrects me if I'm wrong. Don't do this yourself.)

Ground loops (using multiple grounding points) do have a tendency to create 60 Hz buzzing because of phase differences between the grounding points. This is more likely to create audible noise though, as 60 Hz is not high enough for RF noise (that I'm still puzzled about regarding the cause, as humans are not scientifically known to be good RF detectors...).

Yea I believe we are all on the right track here and I had my electrician last week shut off all power and one at a time put each section back on and I still heard the noise but he did not???? Maybe its my ears...? Now the gadget guy has a plumber person who I could call and he would do some kind of a shut off thing with a so called kill switch for other circuits of the house and he could come and check it out when I call him--the pricing here is about 250 so I am waiting until next month for this to be done..He will concentrate on disconnecting the plumbing from wherever the problem is---don't know the details but we are on the right track here just so we can lower the noise like the hum of the city because that hum is bearable or it could be me for no one hears the hum so far but me???..Now this next might be off the wall--my gadget man said that there are writings about people being breastfed that hear different things that other people can't here...Might be crazy but that is what he shared as we had plain conversations...clancey

He mentioned a radon test and said I could send away for the testing and it is simple to do but takes time in evaluating..
You can buy a radon detector from Amazon for $100. As a home inspector he should of had this piece of equipment and given you a reading of what the radon is in your basement. Again, home inspection 101 type stuff. If it were me, I'd call him and tell him needs to come over and give you radon reading free of charge. I'd bet a dollar he doesn't own a radon detector. ;)

I'm not trying to be mean, but the so called "inspector" sounds like a fear monger. These kinds of folks are all over the internet. Unfortunately you paid him $66 per hour to give you readings that we all live with on a daily basis. I have multiple WiFi networks in my house and I sleep like a baby every night. As others have eluded to I think your issue is with the wiring in your house / ground issue / the list goes on, which he did zero to help you find.

Last edited:
He mentioned a radon test and said I could send away for the testing and it is simple to do but takes time in evaluating.. I found a thing outside the electric meter box and have a picture of it here and this is connected to the electric meter as well as another box that comes from the generator.. Bren---your on the right track I think here because I did have some plumbing done with adding a fixture in the laundry room that is copper piping for heat as well as a shower put in that laundry room a few years ago but this noise has only been here since they have been working on the street outside with the water pipe diggings and stuff and the digging for the 5g pole at the same time. Also in the road they put in some metal things under the road and i have no idea of what they are? I wonder if--(this might be stupid)---if they could have their wiring or something mixing up with the underground water stuff and it is coming into my house with my water connection underground to their plumbing underground (piping and stuff) because there was a thick three colored wire that ended up in the back yard area connected to the pole....As far as the noise of the hum is concerned I am accepting this and figure it is just city wide and most people cannot hear it..I do believe my ears are fine..I do believe that they put in something to where one "might here shots or something as well as something for electric cars in the future--I think--not sure--... I am sending away for a radon testing and my gadget man will test it for me for free and I guess we need to send it away somewhere for the results and this takes time..I will see my ear doctor in about two weeks and so far everything is fine...I am losing hope that this issue will be solved and the best that i can do is make a safer home for me for now..One thing I have noticed rather a few things: My hair on my arms no longer stand up at times. My eyes are not dry shut in the morning and I do not wake up with dry eyes as well as this which is unbelievable to me---I sleep all night long and now I have a few dreams something that i have not experienced in years. I feel so much better with even the little abatements we have done.. For the hum noise I think I will just have to learn to live with it believing that every major city will have them if they do not have them at this time..I think people sensitive to these things maybe find another place to live that takes these type of sensitivities into consideration..I can see the difference and the gadget man this inspector "lives his whole life" "just like his work ethic" and i do believe him and have "faith" in him as well...People have all kinds of jobs who I am to not like some if they are trying to benefit people even if the price seems a little high to some other people--this is city living ...we checked out this whole house and he even got on the roof--I have readings galore..lol...We with a few filters on electric sockets as well as a few separating the electrical things outside from touching the metal--little round white things that go between things..and getting rid of wifi and hard wiring--all this "I can feel and see the difference".. I moved my bed and brought the reading down to 700 instead of in the many thousands--I held the meter and we tested different areas and now I am going to get on the net those bed shieldings and they cost a lot of money so I wait awhile but that would give me more relief and bring the readings to O...Having a like "safe space" or something..I guess they call them canopies or something...So I just work on it and he thinks somehow the grounding wires might be one of the problems if they connect to the city piping if they use them for grounding because the reading is so high in that area--we do not know at this point but we are trying to lower the electric gadget readings so that I have less pressure or whatever in my home..It was amazing to see the different on the aluminum siding in contrast to the old windows with the energy coming in..Right now we are working on (in the future)--radon---and getting me some kind of switch that connects to something plumbing or electricity--don't know and somehow shuts off all connection and power to my bedroom at night time so that I can continue to get a good nights sleep and lower that reading to the lowest possible..He told me that I might have toxic withdraws from this wifi taken out and changes and I Laugh at this not really believing that I would---let me tell you---for two days I felt "out of it" and "kind of lost my balance feeling" and kind of "in another world type of feeling"..as well as feeling sick in my stomach like drinking too cold of milk or something....This is Ripleys Believe it or Not...---thank you so much for your interest time and support....as we continue this "tin foil journey"..clancey
Can you tell us what units he was measuring in?

Yea I believe we are all on the right track here and I had my electrician last week shut off all power and one at a time put each section back on and I still heard the noise but he did not???? Maybe its my ears...? Now the gadget guy has a plumber person who I could call and he would do some kind of a shut off thing with a so called kill switch for other circuits of the house and he could come and check it out when I call him--the pricing here is about 250 so I am waiting until next month for this to be done..He will concentrate on disconnecting the plumbing from wherever the problem is---don't know the details but we are on the right track here just so we can lower the noise like the hum of the city because that hum is bearable or it could be me for no one hears the hum so far but me???..Now this next might be off the wall--my gadget man said that there are writings about people being breastfed that hear different things that other people can't here...Might be crazy but that is what he shared as we had plain conversations...clancey
Not sure what Mr plumber dude is gonna do exactly, but just be aware that turning off the valve on the water service line wouldn't do squat to eliminate noises coming in on a water line...which by the way, carry noises pretty well...with the right listening devices a leak can be heard in a line from blocks away (depending on leak size and ambient noise) or a worker can stand in the street and hear your water meter run, and they are not noisy! You probably wouldn't notice it working if you were standing beside it while water is being used.
Anyways, to eliminate noises coming from a water line you would have to physically disconnect the line at a union.

I do not know I have the energies he measured...All I can read is on the Magnetic Field Remediation Recommendations and he has a note: Install dielectric union or section of Pex. It also says M.E.P. (microsurge electrical polution ) then it shows a box that says AC electric fields bed map and the highest electrical field point 1-9 is evaluated. Measurements recorded with Gigahertz Solutions NFA 1000-settings Band. Then we have the wall outlets--peak..Dirty electricity remediation and has check marks on Dimmers and cfl's saying replace all cfl's and applied green waye filter to correct noise from laptop. Then it writes measurements taken inside residence with all power circuits on to determine strength of electric field inside home due to wiring, appliances or fixtures. Then that paper is left blank..Then we have the radio frequency radiation and he has notes that says..Wifi and cordless phone on with phone off level reduced to n8000. turn off bluetooth and century link router level is reduced to 100...Then kitchen table pdl and after remediation with filters applied to outlet reduced to 100. Number five is 650mhz-10ghz--100 after ..Here is the following equipment: Safe and sound Pro 650Mhz-12Ghz and Gigahertz solutions HFE59B (700Mhz-3,3Ghz) next is Gigahertz solutions 2.4Ghz-10Ghz. Then--It says: Both Gigahertz solutions meters are equipped with log per(lp) directional antenna and omnidirectinal (od) Radiation density antennae. The safe and sound pro is exceptionally sensitive and primarily utilized for PDL readings and this is power density levels for measuring total body exposures such as above sleeping area.Due to the small physical size of the antenna's resonator tip has a small additional advantage to be able to identify small areas or stronger energy. then it goes on to talk about high crest factors about older systems and more and more....
So it looks like we have measurements of magnetic fields and microsurge electrical polution and radio frequency and AC electrical fields. I wish I could send you this paperwork when I get my printer working maybe I can scan you some copies or copy them to you on the net here someway but its a learning experience for me to do all this...
So bottom line do you people think that I got took? That's how I am thinking right now but one factor is----I really do feel better with some of the changes especially the Wifi and bed replacement in another section..And I know my windows their measurement was "off the wall"--very high I saw this myself and heard the loud sound on the machine. And those outlets did need filters as far as I think..Nothing was hurt but little things did really improve as far as I am feeling today... I hope this answers you question Bh and we will see how this moves forward...I know you are all skeptics which is absolutely fine but I really do feel better and the hairs are not standing up on my arms the pressure seems somehow better even with these three filters and cable filters and no wifi and hard wiring my computer (something I wanted) and could find no one to do..So I am satisfied with this as well as he drawing attention to the old piping connected to the city deep plumbing with the electrical boxes and my wall cracked when they put that pole in as well..My computer person was just here fixing the printing machine and now things seem fine..Maybe next month I will get a wired keyboard and a wired mouse as well plus a answering machine that wires on too...Thanks everyone for your support and all your expert help --clancey

The Brownson house in Huntington, CT where I grew up was moved when I was a kid. Big news at the time. Harry B. Brownson was a farmer in town that sold land for $1 to become the Brownson Country Club and prevent it from development. The house was later sold, also for $1.

Harry B. Brownson: 1870 - 1966: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/109589387/harry-booth-brownson

The house:

Operation Lighthouse Rescue on moving a Martha's Vineyard, MA lighthouse is an interesting NOVA episode. Really neat.