Hum again. Moving a House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They are all very good points that you have raised and I need to do this more simple and just figuring that out now but it was a thought because I love my little home but it might very well be time to leave it..Leaving it would be more free to let me move to where I might want to move and not just count the miles of moving with the moving company charging for each mile..I am accepting this and it opens up a whole new world here for me to consider...I thank everyone for your wonderful and honest assessments on this idea of mine and its a bad one so I will not be moving my home but down the road will be moving myself. I will bring my wood stove with me--lol...Just a word here--Nationwide I believe our country is in deep problems and we all have our different beliefs some are more up to date with things of thought then others are but I really am worried about our future involving all kinds of things and you are too...Thank you everyone..clancey

Generally when a person puts money into a home, usually in the form of renovations, the homeowner expect to see that money recovered in increased value of the property.
Most of the homes I've seen moved around here were going to be torn down if they weren't moved (owner building new, or maybe a business bought the property, either way the house was a little too nice to just demo) so they sell it for cheap (maybe $1000) and then you mainly have the move cost, and new foundation in it...plus any remodeling that you do.
The first place I moved to after leaving home was an old farm house that had been moved about 2 miles and remodeled into a duplex...the original owner was a judge and he built a large brick home in its place.
I love my little home but it might very well be time to leave it
I think this is a wise choice.

Reactions: sloeffle
Most of the homes I've seen moved around here were going to be torn down if they weren't moved (owner building new, or maybe a business bought the property, either way the house was a little too nice to just demo) so they sell it for cheap (maybe $1000) and then you mainly have the move cost, and new foundation in it...plus any remodeling that you do.
The first place I moved to after leaving home was an old farm house that had been moved about 2 miles and remodeled into a duplex...the original owner was a judge and he built a large brick home in its place.
I think this is a wise choice.

That's correct if a person can get the home for near free and then move it. A person moving their own house to a different location as described by the OP though is not the same, and the value received for the cost is only sentimental value only seen by the houses current owner.

Our house was lifted using I beams 6 ft into the air in order to put a proper foundation under it and raise it 3ft. This is not a trivial process and certainly not cheap. If moving was added to the process, the cost would have been astronomical.

Yea you are right there and its gets more expensive as I checked into this yesterday...I do have a lady calling me back I think if she got the message from the rigging company and the cheapest to start is 50'000 dollars just for a real short move and a shed--lol clancey

I have been looking at different houses and lots and things and right now the prices are so high and its not possible for me to move because of finances., but maybe later in the spring will be better after this winter is passed..My house value as well is "unbelievable" and I would have never thought this type of economic value when I got the house over 25 or 30 years ago--forget the time...Wonder if anyone knows anything about those reverse mortgages that they advertise on television and maybe that would be a way..just thinking here..clancey

I have been looking at different houses and lots and things and right now the prices are so high and its not possible for me to move because of finances., but maybe later in the spring will be better after this winter is passed..My house value as well is "unbelievable" and I would have never thought this type of economic value when I got the house over 25 or 30 years ago--forget the time...Wonder if anyone knows anything about those reverse mortgages that they advertise on television and maybe that would be a way..just thinking here..clancey
A reverse mortgage is basically you selling your house back to a bank. They make payments to you untill your house is payed off or you die then the house is theirs.

Oh I see.. I am leaving my home to a very prominent family in Washington State--shes my girlfriend and lives with her mom...and wanted it clear for them for I have it in my will for them to get it and i would not want them to wheel and deal with a bank or anything..thanks..clancey

Oh I see.. I am leaving my home to a very prominent family in Washington State--shes my girlfriend and lives with her mom...and wanted it clear for them for I have it in my will for them to get it and i would not want them to wheel and deal with a bank or anything..thanks..clancey
Well no bank is going to just give you money for your house and expect nothing in return. That just isn't how it works

I wonder if they would have some kind of insurance that the house would be paid off and be transferred to my girlfriend..In this case I could take out a mortgage on it and this might be better or maybe even sell it as a trade for another place--lots of thinking here to do and at my ripe age did not expect to be planning to move at this stage in my life..I also have my birdies to consider as well and some of them are almost 17 years old.. thanks ...clancey

It's called life insurance.

Problem is life insurance gets exponentially more expensive as you get older, generally over the age of 65 new policies are more expensive than anyone can afford to pay.

Reactions: sloeffle and Bad LP
Your right there and if one takes out a mortgage on the house or a loan I think there is a time period maybe 24 hours or something to sign up for one of those insurance type of deals to where the value of it drops as the price of the mortgage comes down. They can add this right into the loan and the house I think would be paid off or something.. Its been years and that might not even hold true today and I have a lot of inquiring to do for the best way to move and to pick out a new area--how distressing...clancey

up date on the house moving--person has not called back yet..update on the hum--my electrician is coming today to shut off things so that we try to isolate the noise..The house inspector is coming on Friday to do some measuring of sounds from different areas as well as look at the situation. The plumber is coming sometime next week to check out the copper piping and plumbing with the turn off valves and things of that nature...Trying to narrow this sound down and abate it "if I can"..in the meanwhile I have an appointment to look at a property in a place called Wheat Ridge and my friend and I wiil make it a lunch day as soon as the real estate person gets us a date..clancey

I have not seen this, but may be of interest

I also saw a "behind the music" show on the musican Huey Louis who had to give up his singing career to what was diagnosed as menier's syndrome. One of the symptoms is tinnitus, which is perpetual single frequency whine in the ears (I have it )

Yea I saw that already..thanks..my electrician was just here and we shut off the whole house and found nothing so that I can cancel out..The plumber is next and I think for him Friday is the day but I am not sure..The electrician told me that the new red white and black wiring is just electric brought over to the ally pole..I ask him "What kind of electric" and he said regular most likely from the lamp post (5g)..I told him about maybe moving if this problem cannot be abated in some way because its really bothersome..especially at nighttime..I am still waiting for the rigging company to call me back..The new area Wheatridge is not that far from my house so I am just taking this one thing at a time for now.. Yea I have another appointment with the ear doctor in two weeks and that could be a problem but right now my hearing seems perfect for it was tested a week or so ago and my doc said everything looks good...so far...thanks..I feel for you PB because it is terrible..bye the way my electrician just told me that he hears "ringing in one ear at nighttime"--Oh brother--old age is terrible...clancey

Yea I saw that already..thanks..my electrician was just here and we shut off the whole house and found nothing so that I can cancel out..The plumber is next and I think for him Friday is the day but I am not sure..The electrician told me that the new red white and black wiring is just electric brought over to the ally pole..I ask him "What kind of electric" and he said regular most likely from the lamp post (5g)..I told him about maybe moving if this problem cannot be abated in some way because its really bothersome..especially at nighttime..I am still waiting for the rigging company to call me back..The new area Wheatridge is not that far from my house so I am just taking this one thing at a time for now.. Yea I have another appointment with the ear doctor in two weeks and that could be a problem but right now my hearing seems perfect for it was tested a week or so ago and my doc said everything looks good...so far...thanks..I feel for you PB because it is terrible..bye the way my electrician just told me that he hears "ringing in one ear at nighttime"--Oh brother--old age is terrible...clancey
What do you mean by what kind of electric? It doesn't really matter it's just an electric line. And you were hearing the noise when the 5g pole clearly had no power so that can't be the cause.

bholler--you got it wrong...The noise started with the new pole put in place double fold especially at night time and somehow my house is making it louder so that it is unbearable for me at night time. The pole they connected but I guess neighborhood kids or somebody pulled the wires out of the door with the lever crooked but it was connected at that time---then a man came out and fooled with the lever and for one second "everything" was "silent"--everything but then it started again as he checked the wiring and did something to it whereby he fixed the pole.. This was not the electric company that came out but a cellular company---I think--not sure--white truck...I have been to about five different places in the city and "underneath regular noise--I can hear it---its tolerable---but not tolerable in my house especially at night time.. So I am trying to not move and trying to abate the echoing sounds in my home...Maybe its the copper piping carrying the sounds or maybe the plumbing or maybe the aluminum siding so the best that I can do is try to find out why my house to me is so so loud and seems to amplify it someway...I go to restaurants I hear it underneath the sounds and its tolerable and Home Depot and its tolerable but not in this house..I been to my friends house and its tolerable but not in my house especially at night time..So I want to know if this is safe for me (house inspection measurements coming) and also want to know (if I can abate it by noise insulation or something)---just checking it one by one...Its not the electricity in the house for today my electrician checked all this out including the generator big box and the "meter"--nothing wrong anywhere and we completely shut the electricity off and unplugged the ice box as well.., My electrician cannot hear it...ugh Waiting for the rigging company to call me back and see how this works just curious for it is just too expensive for me to do this I am sure but checking it out anyway...One block away they have that big ugly pole real high right behind the church and that's a real winner looking thing ----new way of life coming....I am glad I am old...clancey

bholler--you got it wrong...The noise started with the new pole put in place double fold especially at night time and somehow my house is making it louder so that it is unbearable for me at night time. The pole they connected but I guess neighborhood kids or somebody pulled the wires out of the door with the lever crooked but it was connected at that time---then a man came out and fooled with the lever and for one second "everything" was "silent"--everything but then it started again as he checked the wiring and did something to it whereby he fixed the pole.. This was not the electric company that came out but a cellular company---I think--not sure--white truck...I have been to about five different places in the city and "underneath regular noise--I can hear it---its tolerable---but not tolerable in my house especially at night time.. So I am trying to not move and trying to abate the echoing sounds in my home...Maybe its the copper piping carrying the sounds or maybe the plumbing or maybe the aluminum siding so the best that I can do is try to find out why my house to me is so so loud and seems to amplify it someway...I go to restaurants I hear it underneath the sounds and its tolerable and Home Depot and its tolerable but not in this house..I been to my friends house and its tolerable but not in my house especially at night time..So I want to know if this is safe for me (house inspection measurements coming) and also want to know (if I can abate it by noise insulation or something)---just checking it one by one...Its not the electricity in the house for today my electrician checked all this out including the generator big box and the "meter"--nothing wrong anywhere and we completely shut the electricity off and unplugged the ice box as well.., My electrician cannot hear it...ugh Waiting for the rigging company to call me back and see how this works just curious for it is just too expensive for me to do this I am sure but checking it out anyway...One block away they have that big ugly pole real high right behind the church and that's a real winner looking thing ----new way of life coming....I am glad I am old...clancey
There was no meter in the meter base of the pole therefore the pole had no power.

Regardless of anybody's views on this, I do commend @clancey for trying to one-by-one eliminate causes by having experts come over. That is the right approach imho. Let's hope that works out!

There are two poles the first one is 5G and it is a lamp post--picture...the second pole is in the alley that gives service to four or five houses and another few pictures of that..They had this machine and last week they somehow made a red and white and black thick wire come up beside that pole in the alley way by my back gate then they put this very hard grey plastic box type of deal on the bottom that goes all the way up the pole to where all the houses (five of them) electricity is connected. Now pictures are coming of my situation here on why I am trying to check out a way to move my house or something????,,,abatement--something--..The extra pictures are the black tent next door on the right and the motherinlaws house on the left in the middle of their yard to where it blocks off all air breeze in my yard so old mrs clancey here--me--has problems to decide how I want to handle all of this and it looks like moving time for me..something I dread..clancey

electric poles 004.JPG electric poles 002.JPG electric poles 015.JPG electric poles 013.JPG electric poles 010.JPG electric poles 019.JPG electric poles 020.JPG

Thanks SL I do not think that BH knew that i was talking about two poles--one a big thick green steel one and the second one in the alleyway made of wood that now has a grey plastic type of box that was added last week with three thick wires inside of it (black, white, and red) and this hard plastic goes all the way up to pole and connects where the five other house lines connect--so my electrician said they its just put new service into the pole---but I ask "what kind of service"? Because it came from the front and "somehow" they made it come to the back next to the wooden pole...These electric companies and water companies sure can do some different things to make their equipment go anywhere--amazing to me....well anyway still trying to figure all of this out...clancey

Regardless of anybody's views on this, I do commend @clancey for trying to one-by-one eliminate causes by having experts come over. That is the right approach imho. Let's hope that works out!
I agree completely. That is the only logical approach

There are two poles the first one is 5G and it is a lamp post--picture...the second pole is in the alley that gives service to four or five houses and another few pictures of that..They had this machine and last week they somehow made a red and white and black thick wire come up beside that pole in the alley way by my back gate then they put this very hard grey plastic box type of deal on the bottom that goes all the way up the pole to where all the houses (five of them) electricity is connected. Now pictures are coming of my situation here on why I am trying to check out a way to move my house or something????,,,abatement--something--..The extra pictures are the black tent next door on the right and the motherinlaws house on the left in the middle of their yard to where it blocks off all air breeze in my yard so old mrs clancey here--me--has problems to decide how I want to handle all of this and it looks like moving time for me..something I dread..clancey

View attachment 281238 View attachment 281239 View attachment 281240 View attachment 281241 View attachment 281242 View attachment 281243 View attachment 281244
Yes they ran a service to the 5g pole now. It had no power before so it couldn't have been causing the noise.

Yes they ran a service to the 5g pole now. It had no power before so it couldn't have been causing the noise.
Just spitballing here. If turning off the power to the pole temporarily silenced it, then it might be a culprit if a transformer is humming and the pole length is the right wavelength to resonate at say 60 hz and transmit that amplified noise to the ground. The test would be to cut the power for a few seconds to the pole. In lieu of that, a simpler test would be to press one's ear or a stethoscope against the pole and see if one can hear the hum louder.

Reactions: stoveliker
Just spitballing here. If turning off the power to the pole temporarily silenced it, then it might be a culprit if a transformer is humming and the pole length is the right wavelength to resonate at say 60 hz and transmit that amplified noise to the ground. The test would be to cut the power for a few seconds to the pole.
Yes but at the point where someone messed with that pole there was no meter in the base and no wires visible coming into it. Otherwise I would agree completely