Huskee 22 ton by Speeco Deal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Yep just got one , put some 28" big stringy Hickory with knots went thru them nicely.

Got a deal on it as I got the store to match the Menards 11% off deal all I had to do was take the ad in there.

I will get a picture uploaded sometime.

Picked mine up last night, $999.99. I wish I had known about competitors coupons working.

Here is a pic of my new toy.

By the way Today TSC raised the price back up to 1099.00

Attachments

• 0222121553.jpg
    0222121553.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 442
blujacket said:
Picked mine up last night, $999.99. I wish I had known about competitors coupons working.

Bring the receipt and coupon back to the store!

Is that the preferred towing method of these machines?
I had to chuckle when I saw it in the trailer

My understanding of it is that the high speed tires means 45 mph max on them. My friends pulled like a pile of bricks strapped to a buffalo running downhill lol. It bounced all over at 45 due to the lack of springs.

Pete

I pull mine all the time, but probably not over 45.
It doesn't bounce around that I've noticed.
But forget about trying to back it up

I also pull mine, Forget its even back there.

I have heard the wheel bearings will go with too much towing. I would trailer mine for any distance over 2 miles

I brought my first one home on a trailer. Towed it back after few weeks because it wasn't running right, and towed the new one home (instead of fixing it, they just exchanged it, which I thought was pretty cool). Only about ten miles, but I don't think I'd do it again.

On another note, the BS engine is rattling apart. Reckon I'm done splitting until I take a good look. The replacement won't be more BS, for sure. Rest of the machine has been great.

jeff_t said:
I brought my first one home on a trailer. Towed it back after few weeks because it wasn't running right, and towed the new one home (instead of fixing it, they just exchanged it, which I thought was pretty cool). Only about ten miles, but I don't think I'd do it again.

On another note, the BS engine is rattling apart. Reckon I'm done splitting until I take a good look. The replacement won't be more BS, for sure. Rest of the machine has been great.

Honda GC with a vertical crank would be my pick for replacing the Briggs! Unless you have something kicking around.

I don't understand why Speeco or TSC doesn't supply enough engine oil with these. Mine was 3 ounces shy. Starts on 2nd pull though.

Yep I was 20 miles away and knew that its not good to go faster than 45 on those setups. So I put it on my trailer.

My briggs engine on mine started first pull but I cheated and pumped the bulb an extra pump. Hope it holds together , it sounds good.

The oil supplied for the engine is less than stated in the book as needed but the dip stick has a range on it and it puts it right in the middle of the range.

Huskee supplying the hydraulic fluid and engine oil is a big plus as some other splitters I noticed you have to buy your own. Thats a $30-$ 40 dollar savings.

I would wonder if towing faster than 45 and a road that was rough if it would be hard on the engine as the thing has no suspension.

MasterMech said:
Honda GC with a vertical crank would be my pick for replacing the Briggs! Unless you have something kicking around.

Yep.

I bought a replacement Briggs for my zero turn Ariens mower, and it has been perfect. Original was 17 hp and lived a decently long and hard life. The 17 replacement was more than twice the price of the 21 hp version of the same engine. I mean like $500 vs $1100+. Go figure. Of course I got the 21. But this one on the Huskee has seemed super cheap from day one. Float sticks on the carb now and then, so I make sure the tank is empty when I'm done. Rattles a lot and plastic all cracked and just seems, well, cheap. But it starts and runs great.

I blew up my triad kohler 18 horse on my simplicity last fall during leaf season, bad time to do that, I hear that engine was a bad design.

Over the winter my simplicity dealer put me a 20 horse Honda on it. Cost me a arm and a leg but it should last a long time.

BASOD said:

They are heavy, so moving them around the yard, your property, to & from dry storage etc. would be very difficult if not on wheels with a hitch.
Wheels & a hitch: Don't mean they are road ready :)

Without lights, springs, good bearings & license plate, they are not really designed to go down the highway :)
For any distances on the road system, putting them, strapped down, in a road ready/legal trailer just makes sense, :)

IMO

Nice splitter, Have fun !

Speeco a few years ago had some issues with the tanks cracking. They attributed it to hitting pot holes when towing.

BASOD said:

Other than when I brought it home for the first time (about 3 miles away and I drove slow) . . . the splitter has always gone on a trailer . . . as mentioned they're not really well suited for road travel (no suspension, short wheelbase, oil reservoir is part of the axle unit, etc.) . . . I just figure hauling it on the trailer is easier for it in terms of wear and tear.

IPLUMB said:
I also pull mine, Forget its even back there.

When I picked mine up a girl unlocked it for me who knew nothing about splitters or towing...

Anyway, I couldn't see it in my mirrors at all on my truck. It pulled like it wasn't even there, and made just about no noise, aside from the ball squeaking every now and then on big bumps.
I didn't know 45 was the max, but I did 50 on the way home (instead of 55-60). Nice paved city roads for about 5 miles, then country roads for another 20 miles. I would keep looking back to make sure it was still attached, but I could never see it! lol.

I didn't bother backing it up, since I couldn't see it at all except on turns and didn't want to fudge up the brand new splitter!
I paid $1099... about 2 weeks later it went on sale for 999, but I couldn't find my receipt :(

Status
Not open for further replies.