Huskee 22 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncwood

Oct 11, 2008
NC
I have a huskee 22 ton splitter with 6.5 hp briggs on it .I also have a briggs 12.5 electric start cast iron sleeve motor just laying around.Should I put it on splitter or not?

I wouldn't. I have the exact same splitter, it's handled everything I've throw at it.

my 6 1/2 BRIGGS DOES JUST FINE ,PUT THE SPAIR ON THE SHELF ,THEN IF ALL YOUR FRENDS WHEAR OUT YOUR STOCK MOTOR ,YOUR STILL IN BUSINESS...HAVE A CROWN,,, LIFES GOOD zzzIM

All you will do is increase fuel consumption and have electric start. That 6.5hp B&S;turns that 11gpm pump just fine. Now if you add your 12.5HP B&S;and replace your pump with a 16gpm or 22gpm pump your cycle time will decrease a lot, that 4" cylinder will move very quickly. Now if you replace the cylinder with lets say a 5" diameter you will increase tonnage and your cycle time will slow back down.
If you increase your pump to a 22gpm your oil tank will be to small to keep the hydraulic oil cool,
All that engine has to do is turn that 11gpm 2 stage pump at rated rpm's under load. An 11gpm pump can be run with a 5hp engine.

save the 12.5 for something else or get a bigger pump and cylinder and build yourself a 30 ton splitter,

I have a home manufactured splitter with a 20 hp engine and a 22 gpm 2 stage pump with a 5" cyclinder and a 15 gallon fluid tank . I can shear small diameter rounds, MAJOR POWER. The splitter you guys have sounds quit powerful. I estimate mine at around 30 ton.

Why would you want to limit yourself like that? Hell no you don't want to convert gas to electric.

whoops you are correct...electric starts are sweet but I'm thinking the extra HP will just burn more fuel and not significantly speed up the splitter...if that's the plan. But if you have a bad shoulder that's makes pull starting very hard...then yeah go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.