Husqvarna 350 or 55 - which would be a better choice, and is this a good price for either?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newstove

Mar 25, 2009
Central MA
I have the opportunity to buy either a Husqvarna 350 or a Husqvarna 55 Air Injection.

Both have 18" bars, decent chains, and both are in pretty good shape.

I can have either one for $200.

Which would be the better choice? The 350 appears to be more highly recommended in various readings I've done online.

Any opinions? Is it a good price for either in good shape?

Also, I may like to put on a larger bar if possible for once-in-a-while-monster-log-cutting. What would be the max bar I could reasonably put on either one?

I think I'm leaning towards the 350...

Thanks!

I'm happy with my 350 but wouldn't go longer than 18", in fact I've gone shorter. Unless it's in great shape, $200 seems high as you could find them on sale for around $300 new. If you get it, make sure it has had the muffler recall done (you'll se a third bolt (at the top)).

If you think you might get into some bigger stuff, I would look for something closer to 60cc.

newstove said:
I have the opportunity to buy either a Husqvarna 350 or a Husqvarna 55 Air Injection.

Which would be the better choice? The 350 appears to be more highly recommended in various readings I've done online.

Also, I may like to put on a larger bar if possible for once-in-a-while-monster-log-cutting. What would be the max bar I could reasonably put on either one?

Thanks!
$200 for a used 55?? Seems like quite high! I paid $70 w/20" bar/chain

bsa0021 said:
newstove said:

Thanks!
$200 for a used 55?? Seems like quite high! I paid $70 w/20" bar/chain

Hehehe... That's why I asked the questions. ;-)

I'm not really a Husky guy - these just kinda fell into my lap as a, "Hey, wanna buy a saw?"

I've already got 2 16" Mcculloch saws that cut anything I throw at them, but figured if I could get a deal I could put a 20" or 24" bar on for that once in a long time when I gotta cut something really big, it might be worth it.

Although the price is on the high side if you can get it lowered, I would choose the 55.The reason? Well the crankcase on the 55 is magnesium compared to plastic, parts are easily available and the 55 is a gem to work on. How do I know?I bought a used one from a pawn shop, cleaned the cylinder, replaced the piston and ring. The saw now has 165lbs of compression and pulls an 18 b/c with a 3/8 chain with know problem.

wendell said:
I'm happy with my 350 but wouldn't go longer than 18", in fact I've gone shorter. Unless it's in great shape, $200 seems high as you could find them on sale for around $300 new. If you get it, make sure it has had the muffler recall done (you'll se a third bolt (at the top)).

If you think you might get into some bigger stuff, I would look for something closer to 60cc.

Can you tell me about the muff recall? I have a 10 yr old 350 and the bolts are tight. I have checked them and they seem to be holding.
Jim

I don't know the years of production but they had changed the muffler designed and the two bolts weren't holding so they had to had a third. I think it was in the '07-early'08 range so you are fine.

NewStove,
I have had really good luck with my Husky 350. It starts up and always works well for me. Its not a pro logger chain saw, but If I cut 5 cords of wood this year I am doing well with this saw. I put the Full chisel chain on and it cuts great.
The 350 has less vibration than alot of other saws and youll be liking that.
Jim

I have a used Husky 55 that I bought for $130 bucks with an 18" bar and a dull chain.....It's been a great saw--starts right up every time and blows through 24" inch trees with the new chisel chain with NO problem......Given that a new Husky 455 retails for $420, I don't think $200 is at all unreasonable IF it's in good condition. I tested the compression on mine before I bought it: 150 PSI cold.

From what I read, folks seem to think the older Rancher 55 is more robust than the newer Rancher 455, and, I think the 455 carbs are not adjustable--but that just may be limiter caps that can be taken off (though voiding the warranty...).

Regarding buying two new saws, I agree with others that it seems like a waste of money to me--just buy a 16" bar and chain if you want more control and precise cutting. About 6 months ago I picked up a used 45cc Craftsman at a yard sale for $20--they bought it, used it once (it scared them.....) put it back in the case and sold it. It's smaller and lighter than my 55, so I use it for limbing and for a backup saw on my scrounge runs in the Natl forest.

NP

Status
Not open for further replies.