Husqvarna 445 opinons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJF1313

Oct 25, 2009
Pine Barrons, L.I., NY
The local small equipment dealer has a demo Husky 445 with a 16" bar for $150. It has the factory bar & chain on it and it hasn't left the dealers yard. It still has some of the original "Husqvarna" name on the bar and looks to been turned twice. I do trust the dealer, they've been in business as long as I can remember. If I do go ahead, it would replace/complement my older Homelite 360 - with its vapor-lock problems.

I never bought a "new" saw before, as you can tell by my sig., but it might be time for me to get into the 21st century as far as all the "modern" convinces - auto oil (770), chain brake (only the craftsman - BTW is HER saw), vibration reduction,
decompression start (why do I need that :exclaim: %-P )

I plan on keeping it at 16" and maybe getting a 20" bar & chain - just in case.

I guess my real question is - is it worth the buck and a half, or should I pass on it?

Thanks for your advice and insight,
PJ

pretty good land owner saw and for 150.00 sounds like a great deal to me... new I think there 399.00

Definitely worth a buck and a half....especially if the dealer has gone through it and you trust him. Go get it.

.... and out the door I go!

Thanks Smokin and Steel!

Will update when I get back...

I've got a 445 . . .actually I bought it brand new off of Ebay for $225, which was a steal. (opened the gas cap, and it didn't even smell of gas) You can get them new for $250 pretty easily.

It's a pretty decent saw, I think I would have opted for the 455 rancher or the old school 350, but I am happy with it especially for the price it was. I run a 18" Oregon bar and chain on mine and it does do pretty good, just two weeks ago, I hammered through 4 pulp cord of large sized beech and maple. It will be interesting to see over time how the newer "emissions" rated exhaust and catalytic set up works with it. The vibe system on it is great, and it is a fairly well balanced saw.

I'd really look into what you can get a new one for, but if it hasn't left the dealers yard, I'd say you are probably going to get a really nice saw for a really good price overall. My bet is that if you didn't like it, you could turn around and sell it for more than the $150 you paid for it. How long has it been his demo saw??

Don"t worry about the paint missing on the bar. The Husky bars are re-badged oregon bars. Which are known to loose their paint easily.
The Joke About Why Is..

They are made in China.. and the faster they loose the paint the faster you loose all the lead in the paint.

Also If theres no pics...it never happened!

$400 will buy a 455 Rancher, which is a little bit bigger saw. At $150, and it is in good shape, you can't go wrong. I have the Jonsored version and the 455 Rancher and with a 20" bar I rip through 24" Red Oak.

Monkey Wrench said:
Don"t worry about the paint missing on the bar. The Husky bars are re-badged oregon bars. Which are known to loose their paint easily.
The Joke About Why Is..

They are made in China.. and the faster they loose the paint the faster you loose all the lead in the paint.

Also If theres no pics...it never happened!

Well, here ya go M.W. -

Attachments

• PHOT0014.jpg
    PHOT0014.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 572
  • PHOT0013.jpg
    PHOT0013.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 580
  • PHOT0012.jpg
    PHOT0012.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 605
  • PHOT0011.jpg
    PHOT0011.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 567
  • PHOT0009.jpg
    PHOT0009.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 599
And what the '445 will be "helping" - O.K. degrading to a "back-up"

Yes, I know that the chain is loose - it's easier for my to sharpen it on the saw that way; just being LAZY!

Attachments

• PHOT0018.jpg
    PHOT0018.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 548
  • PHOT0017.jpg
    PHOT0017.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 540
  • PHOT0016.jpg
    PHOT0016.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 544
  • PHOT0015.jpg
    PHOT0015.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 561
PJF1313 said:
Yes, I know that the chain is loose - it's easier for my to sharpen it on the saw that way; just being LAZY!
The bar has burn marks on it too. tsk, tsk!

I like my chain to be tight when I file it.

LLigetfa said:
PJF1313 said:
The bar has burn marks on it too. tsk, tsk!

I like my chain to be tight when I file it.

Yeah... about the burn marks, another reason I don't lend out tools without me being around. Oiler got gummed up and he kept cutting on the maple. After the cut, needless to say, I killed it for him (I guess one good thing about vapor lock) and told him to take a break. After cleaning the oiler, it mysteriously didn't start ;-)

After truing the bar, I keep it on as a reminder, and it isn't dead yet...

I was at my local Husky dealer yesterday and walked out the door with a new 445. All that I can tell you is that this saw must have been on steroids. It is a cutting little fool.I have a 16 BC on it and it is well balanced. The throttle response is scary. For the price he is asking, I would grab it soon or someone else will walk off with one heck of a good deal. Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.