Husqvarna SP33G vs H30 Chains

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
I have an 18" Husqvarna 440 saw I use for processing most of my firewood. It's a great saw.

I got a new X-Cut SP33G chain last year and I've been happy with the performance so far. It's getting a little long in the tooth now and when I went to a local dealer to grab another chain they gave me an H30 chain. I haven't opened it yet and I've searched and searched online and I can't find any direct comparisons. What's the difference? Both are 0.325" pixel chains. Ive attached pics of the boxes.

Any insight would be helpful!

20210216_132428.jpg

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
I finally found a little info it looks like the SP33G (the x-cut) is a semi-chisel chain whereas the H30 is a micro-chisel chain.

Correct me if I'm wrong but to me that means the X-Cut is a slightly more aggressive chain.

I cut mostly hardwood yard trees to support my 3-4 cord a year heating needs. It's mostly red oak, ash, red maple, and cherry. Any reason I should use one over the other?

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Your new chain is a safety chain as well...
Notice the extra bump/ramp in front of the raker.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Not disputing they are safety chains. Slightly more aggressive being its a little less rounded of an edge on the cutter. Just wondering what the real difference is. After doing more looking around the only difference I can find is that the SP33G is newer and actually made by Husqvarna versus outsourcing the H30 to Oregon Oregon believe. They claim that its 10% more efficient.

Hardly enough difference to be game changing but I'm gonna continue to try out the newer one. It cuts fine.

Zombie

Dec 21, 2020
NC
I have an 18" Husqvarna 440 saw I use for processing most of my firewood. It's a great saw.

I got a new X-Cut SP33G chain last year and I've been happy with the performance so far. It's getting a little long in the tooth now and when I went to a local dealer to grab another chain they gave me an H30 chain. I haven't opened it yet and I've searched and searched online and I can't find any direct comparisons. What's the difference? Both are 0.325" pixel chains. Ive attached pics of the boxes.

Any insight would be helpful!

View attachment 274719
I have the same saw, got it as a present a few years ago. I've ran both chains in question, box stock and sharpened with the rakers filled down a bit for a harder bite, and liked the X-cut better. I like a more aggressive chain and have switched to the Oregon PowerCut Q pro series, 20LPX. Full chisel chain and it cuts like a dream, the rakers are offset to keep the cutters from digging into the side of the cut, it's smooth and goes thru everything like a hot knife through butter.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
I have the same saw, got it as a present a few years ago. I've ran both chains in question, box stock and sharpened with the rakers filled down a bit for a harder bite, and liked the X-cut better. I like a more aggressive chain and have switched to the Oregon PowerCut Q pro series, 20LPX. Full chisel chain and it cuts like a dream, the rakers are offset to keep the cutters from digging into the side of the cut, it's smooth and goes thru everything like a hot knife through butter.
How often are you sharpening vs the x-cut? Full chisels tend to dull pretty fast don't they?

Zombie

Dec 21, 2020
NC
Maybe a little? I haven't really noticed, to be honest. I wouldn't say it's a significant difference.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Very interesting. I'll have to pick one up when I'm due for a new chain. Have about 1.5 x-cuts to get through first! Won't take me too long lol. ::-)

Reactions: Zombie