Husqvarna SP33G vs H30 Chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
I have an 18" Husqvarna 440 saw I use for processing most of my firewood. It's a great saw.

I got a new X-Cut SP33G chain last year and I've been happy with the performance so far. It's getting a little long in the tooth now and when I went to a local dealer to grab another chain they gave me an H30 chain. I haven't opened it yet and I've searched and searched online and I can't find any direct comparisons. What's the difference? Both are 0.325" pixel chains. Ive attached pics of the boxes.

Any insight would be helpful!

20210216_132428.jpg

I finally found a little info it looks like the SP33G (the x-cut) is a semi-chisel chain whereas the H30 is a micro-chisel chain.

Correct me if I'm wrong but to me that means the X-Cut is a slightly more aggressive chain.

I cut mostly hardwood yard trees to support my 3-4 cord a year heating needs. It's mostly red oak, ash, red maple, and cherry. Any reason I should use one over the other?

Your new chain is a safety chain as well...
Notice the extra bump/ramp in front of the raker.

Not disputing they are safety chains. Slightly more aggressive being its a little less rounded of an edge on the cutter. Just wondering what the real difference is. After doing more looking around the only difference I can find is that the SP33G is newer and actually made by Husqvarna versus outsourcing the H30 to Oregon Oregon believe. They claim that its 10% more efficient.

Hardly enough difference to be game changing but I'm gonna continue to try out the newer one. It cuts fine.

I have an 18" Husqvarna 440 saw I use for processing most of my firewood. It's a great saw.

I got a new X-Cut SP33G chain last year and I've been happy with the performance so far. It's getting a little long in the tooth now and when I went to a local dealer to grab another chain they gave me an H30 chain. I haven't opened it yet and I've searched and searched online and I can't find any direct comparisons. What's the difference? Both are 0.325" pixel chains. Ive attached pics of the boxes.

Any insight would be helpful!

View attachment 274719
I have the same saw, got it as a present a few years ago. I've ran both chains in question, box stock and sharpened with the rakers filled down a bit for a harder bite, and liked the X-cut better. I like a more aggressive chain and have switched to the Oregon PowerCut Q pro series, 20LPX. Full chisel chain and it cuts like a dream, the rakers are offset to keep the cutters from digging into the side of the cut, it's smooth and goes thru everything like a hot knife through butter.

I have the same saw, got it as a present a few years ago. I've ran both chains in question, box stock and sharpened with the rakers filled down a bit for a harder bite, and liked the X-cut better. I like a more aggressive chain and have switched to the Oregon PowerCut Q pro series, 20LPX. Full chisel chain and it cuts like a dream, the rakers are offset to keep the cutters from digging into the side of the cut, it's smooth and goes thru everything like a hot knife through butter.

How often are you sharpening vs the x-cut? Full chisels tend to dull pretty fast don't they?

Maybe a little? I haven't really noticed, to be honest. I wouldn't say it's a significant difference.

Very interesting. I'll have to pick one up when I'm due for a new chain. Have about 1.5 x-cuts to get through first! Won't take me too long lol. ::-)

Reactions: Zombie