Hydraulic splitter doesn't return occasionally.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
What could cause this symtom. About once per hour or two, when you change direction of the valve lever nothing happens. After two or three times, moving the lever it moves. What causes this.

Air in the lines? Maybe valve linkage binding , Spray it down with some lube? I think Ramsplitter has a fine filter screen on the intake, could be junk on it? . Few things to look at. Jay

Air in the lines? Maybe valve linkage binding , Spray it down with some lube? I think Ramsplitter has a fine filter screen on the intake, could be junk on it? . Few things to look at. Jay

My thoughts exactly. I removed the suction strainer, installed a new valve and pump. Still happened yesterday. I'm thinking the only thing left is air in the sytem. Air in the pump would cause this, no? Is there a procedure for removing air?
Really makes no sense. I installed a new 1 inch suction line to the pump. There is no way for the air to get to the pump. I'm stumped.

I think most splitters have some type of switch, buttons, sensor, pressure plate, etc that the ram engages in the back position so it could be something related to that.

I think most splitters have some type of switch, buttons, sensor, pressure plate, etc that the ram engages in the back position so it could be something related to that.

Thats a new idea, is this true?

It needs to engage something so that it doesn't keep pumping trying to move back once its already back. My buddies has a part that hangs down and when the back of the wedge gets to it, the lever releases.

Once in a while a small set screw on his loosens up so it no longer springs the lever and won't move back similar to what you are descirbing. Something simple to look into before getting to involved in the hydraulics themselves. I am a fan of working from simpliest to most complicated.

As far as I can see there is no such mechanism on this machine.

Attachments

• Splitterhondaverticle.jpg
    Splitterhondaverticle.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 117
What's that thing protruding out from the cylinder just abovethe bottom of the cylinder and below the bracket?

EDIT: That's the hydraulic hose.

If not, at least its an idea.

Must have another way of "knowing" how much travel there should be and when to cut in and out.

It "knows" where to stop inside the valve. On the return stroke when the ram reaches the end it builds pressure and kicks out the detent. Is your new suction line collapsing?? Sometimes they will not show on the exterior but the inside will collapse. You may have to tee a gauge in to see what's going on.

It happened with the old suction line, new suction line, old valve, new valve, old pump, new pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.