I am back and want to burn!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
Hi Everyone,

I joined this forum back in 2013 when I installed my very first wood stove. Sadly, I only got to use it for 3 seasons before we ended up moving from SE Mass. to Southern AZ back in 2015. Now, 5 years later, I want to get back to wood heat! I will only be wanting to burn for Dec and Jan due to our mild temps. My AZ house has an open small fireplace kit back from 1987 (instruction manual hyperlinked) when the house was built. I have attached some photos. I am wondering if I can get a woodstove insert installed in a fireplace kit like this. Please share your opinions. Thank you in advance!!!

IMG_20201130_183936416.jpg IMG_20201130_184014872.jpg IMG_20201130_184025191.jpg IMG_20201130_184031087.jpg IMG_20201130_184042398.jpg IMG_20201130_184106718.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I joined this forum back in 2013 when I installed my very first wood stove. Sadly, I only got to use it for 3 seasons before we ended up moving from SE Mass. to Southern AZ back in 2015. Now, 5 years later, I want to get back to wood heat! I will only be wanting to burn for Dec and Jan due to our mild temps. My AZ house has an open small fireplace kit back from 1987 (instruction manual hyperlinked) when the house was built. I have attached some photos. I am wondering if I can get a woodstove insert installed in a fireplace kit like this. Please share your opinions. Thank you in advance!!!

View attachment 268086 View attachment 268087 View attachment 268088 View attachment 268089 View attachment 268090 View attachment 268091
Nope the introduction clearly says you cannot modify the fireplace in anyway or use any components not manufactured or approved by fmi for use in this fireplace

I love a fireplace! Can you keep the fireplace intact and install a stove in another location?

Nope the introduction clearly says you cannot modify the fireplace in anyway or use any components not manufactured or approved by fmi for use in this fireplace
I see what you are pointing out in the instructions. I was trying to be optimistic since the language says modifications "may" cause a fire hazard. Have you heard of anyone attempt a fireplace kit to insert conversion?

I love a fireplace! Can you keep the fireplace intact and install a stove in another location?
Thank you, I do like the look the the fireplace and mantel. We have a small-ish home so, I don't think there is another good place. It is a shame if we can't use an insert in the fireplace since it already has a chimney.

what's on the back side of the fireplace?

I see what you are pointing out in the instructions. I was trying to be optimistic since the language says modifications "may" cause a fire hazard. Have you heard of anyone attempt a fireplace kit to insert conversion?
Yes and with that statement in the manual it would be a clear violation of code

Ok bholler, I appreciate your firm stance here but I did find a old 2013 thread that presented some differing views, making this seem not quite as clear cut here, Insert in a Prefab fireplace - help needed on options | Hearth.com Forums Home - I actually found your comments on this thread helpful on understanding who hold liability, namely the installer.
Yes the liability incase something went wrong with the completely untested and against code install would fall on who ever did the install. But the risk of life is on you and your family. We simply have no idea at all if doing this is safe. No one does that fireplace was in no way designed to be used in that way.

Even if it was permitted your fire box looks shallow and the flue looks like it is pretty clos to the back wall that will really limit you on insert choices. It would have to be a small insert I have some experience with inserts under 2.0 cu ft I don't think its worth it. My dad and brother uses Buck 18's constantly loading them glass turns black quick, little heat output and short burn times. If it was me I would remove the mantle remove the ZC and and put in a high efficiency ZC like Pacific Energy FP25 or FP30. Reviews seem to be good on them it would be much safer more than likely look better depending on clearance maybe able to re use your mantle.

This guy had the same problem you do126958049_10225766461095227_657232244134608653_o.jpg

This guy had the same problem you doView attachment 268139
That guy has a lot more problems than he does with that hacked install. Great hearth protection too.

However, it might be worth considering a rear vent stove with a liner.