I am having a True North N10 installed as we speak.. I have some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WAstate

Sep 15, 2020
Clinton, WA
Hi All,
I live on an island in the PNW and things happen differently here than other places. About a week ago I had a contractor come out to do a bid on a new wood stove. He gave me a brochure on the Jotul stoves and told me because of the size of my house the only one that would fit is the 600 CB. That is what I was expecting today but what arrived is a True North N10. It is being installed as we speak. I am frantically looking up info on it. It sounds like the company is decent but I don't see any posts here for the N10. Has anyone bought this before? If yes, do you like it? I like the look of it much better than the Jotul, but the Jotul comes with so many rave reviews. It is harder to find anything on this stove. This change might just be the norm here, or maybe I should be concerned... Anyone care to pipe in?

There is a world of difference between these two stoves both in cost and heat output. Clearances will be different. Tell them to stop.

The TN 10 is a small, value stove made by Pacific Energy. It is tiny house-sized. The Jotul F600 is a very large and expensive stove that is no longer sold here. Did you mean the Jotul F602 instead perhaps?
Tell us more about the house. How large an area will the stove be heating? Is it mostly a chill chaser for nights and weekends or will it be expected to provide 24/7 heat?

The TN 10 is a small, value stove made by Pacific Energy. It is tiny house-sized. The Jotul F600 is a very large and expensive stove that is no longer sold here. Did you mean the Jotul F602 instead perhaps?
Tell us more about the house. How large an area will the stove be heating? Is it mostly a chill chaser for nights and weekends or will it be expected to provide 24/7 heat?
You are right, I am flustered so I didn't tell you exactly. It was the Jotul 602CB. My house is 584 square foot on a foundation. It is a former fishing cabin that has been highly insulated and dolled up. I have laminate flooring, and an open floor plan. They have everything in now, except the trim. I have a mini split heat pump. I just need it for power outages, of which there are many!

Reactions: LiamFitzpatrick
Well, it may do the job, with frequent reloadings, but no one should replace a purchased item without first discussing it with the buyer. Personally I like the F602 a bit better. It takes longer wood and should burn longer too.

What is their reason for this exchange?

Reactions: LiamFitzpatrick
Well, it may do the job, with frequent reloadings, but no one should replace a purchased item without first discussing it with the buyer. Personally I like the F602 a bit better. It takes longer wood and should burn longer too.

I am looking at prices, they seem comparable. I am honestly worried about a "Bait and switch" but maybe this will all work out. It is just about in now, just some caulking left. I will post a pic when it is done!

They are quite different stoves. Did you call their office? What reason did they give for the switch?

Well he said he remembered that I wanted to see the fire better, he was going to cut the grate on the Jotul, but then saw this one. He said it had better clearances and I could see the fire better. He said it cost more but after looking at both prices I don't necessarily agree with that. It puts out less BTU, but has a similar efficiency rating. He ( I hate to even say it) kind of didn't want to explain. He took a few minutes to explain but only after I kept asking him. Also, I had ordered two heat protectant walls but he said that with this stove I didn't need them. I didn't need them with the other one either, but it made me feel better about it. He kept saying (3 inch to combustibles)! I finally had to tell him I needed clarity because I didn't understand what that meant. Then he explained. He was going to charge me the same though, until I pointed out I didn't get the wall protectors. He then gave me a couple hundred off. Here is a pic of the stove.
fireplace.jpg

Ok, it seems like there were conversations beyond this, including painting everything white. If you are happy with it then that is what matters. Do you have a good supply of 12" wood already seasoned and stacked for the stove?

Reactions: Sailrmike
Yes, I like how it looks for sure. I don't want to be taken advantage of though as this isn't a field I am familiar with. I wanted to check with people in the know, which is you guys. :) I think it is nice, but there aren't many reviews on it, which concerns me. I have no wood at all other than another bundle of kindling like the one in the picture. I brought this stack in and last night had 4 HUGE spiders crawling around my house. I asked the contractor about wood and he said those pressed logs should work as they have a low creosote content. I will use them for this year.
I have a 1/2 acre which is heavily wooded. Last year I took down 8 trees. 6 were slash ( Alder) 1 pine which is still standing except for the branches and about 20 foot off the top so I guess it is in process of coming all the way down. The last was a douglas fir, which I gave away most of that wood. I bought a 8 X 12 foot metal and tarp building that I am going to put together and then buy a splitter to open up these big rounds. I imagine with the trees still needing to come down because they are at the end of their lifespan that I should have a few years worth of wood. I know the wood should season for at least a year, and I am going to buy a moisture meter once I start in on the wood.

I used that stove in an outbuilding last winter. It is a capable little thing. Well built. Very small firebox, so won't burn overnight and when you really want heat you are reloading frequently, although some enjoy doing that... The Jotul would have been a slightly more "serious" heater, but very different aesthetic, which seems important to you. The TN-10 is a better fit for a corner install.

Your well-insulated small coastal home should be fine with it during the odd outage. Looks nice, enjoy!

PS: Dead-standing pine could be ready to burn (would be around my parts, not sure on the coast), especially the top if the bark has sloughed off and it hasn't rotted.

I used that stove in an outbuilding last winter. It is a capable little thing. Well built. Very small firebox, so won't burn overnight and when you really want heat you are reloading frequently, although some enjoy doing that... The Jotul would have been a slightly more "serious" heater, but very different aesthetic, which seems important to you. The TN-10 is a better fit for a corner install.

Your well-insulated small coastal home should be fine with it during the odd outage. Looks nice, enjoy!

PS: Dead-standing pine could be ready to burn (would be around my parts, not sure on the coast), especially the top if the bark has sloughed off and it hasn't rotted.
Well many thanks Nigel459! I received quite the talking to from my brother who is a contractor and my father who is a father after I told them what happened, which made me doubly unsure. My brother told me to not pay them, take them to court, etc. My father asked me why I let them bring it in the door before I did my research. (I did a ton of research on the Jotul.) I actually like the look of this one better. I am not a young woman but the contractor who put it in didn't ask me about these changes, just did them and then seemed annoyed when I had questions. It has been awhile since I felt like "hey little lady let me sell you this used car, isn't it a pretty color" kind of situation. You have boosted my confidence, many thank yous :)

The TN10 looks really pretty in white...and really close to the walls....But I did check the owners manual and 3 inches with double stove pipe is the required clearance...so OK there.
I am curious how the paint will hold up. Has anyone had a stove painted before? And what is your experience with the paint sticking to the original surface after many hot/cold cycles?

Almost all stoves are painted and most with more than one coat. The two things to worry about are whether the two paints used are compatible and whether the surface of the black paint was clean before the white paint was applied. As they say, it’s all about the surface prep.

I would have been upset about the switch. You researched selected and bought a Porsche and he delivered a Toyota. Good news is that Toyotas are pretty good too. You got a corolla. Be sure that he makes it right on cost.

Alder is wonderful wood to burn. It takes a lot of trees to make much fuel. Those pressed wood logs are a satisfactory alternative but start small with them. Don’t just stuff the stove until you get a feel for how hot they can get.

Well, he said he remembered that I wanted to see the fire more, and saw this one had better clearances so he got this one. It doesn't have the same warranty, and has less BTU's but similar effect
The TN10 looks really pretty in white...and really close to the walls....But I did check the owners manual and 3 inches with double stove pipe is the required clearance...so OK there.
I am curious how the paint will hold up. Has anyone had a stove painted before? And what is your experience with the paint sticking to the original surface after many hot/cold cycles?
Yes, thanks, I thought white was a good fit but I was curious also about the paint. I definitely was concerned when I saw how close it was to the walls as it is a small one room cabin, not a lot of time to get out should things go awry! That is why I wanted the heat shields.

Almost all stoves are painted and most with more than one coat. The two things to worry about are whether the two paints used are compatible and whether the surface of the black paint was clean before the white paint was applied. As they say, it’s all about the surface prep.

I would have been upset about the switch. You researched selected and bought a Porsche and he delivered a Toyota. Good news is that Toyotas are pretty good too. You got a corolla. Be sure that he makes it right on cost.

Alder is wonderful wood to burn. It takes a lot of trees to make much fuel. Those pressed wood logs are a satisfactory alternative but start small with them. Don’t just stuff the stove until you get a feel for how hot they can get.
Good advice Highbeam!

I agree with you after doing more research this morning. I am thankful though to hear that at least it will be a functional stove. We have had a couple of harsh winters here. In 2018 we had a crazy windstorm that knocked over power poles and kept me without power for about 10 days, while it was below freezing. I lose power at least 5 to 10 times a year. Since that happened I have been researching and saving my money to make an investment in either a generator or a wood stove. Wood stoves made more sense in the long run, plus they are pretty to be around while a generator is noisy and not pretty. I love hearing that about the Alder, that is fabulous news! He didn't make it right on the cost, he said this stove was actually more expensive. I am thinking they are of similar cost after doing some investigating. He did take a couple hundred off for the heat pads that weren't installed. So the total cost ended up being $3950, which was the stove, pipes, installation, heat pad on the floor, taxes and painting. I think that is reasonable, at least I hope so.

Reactions: Highbeam
If you think it’s reasonable and are happy that’s all that matters. Enjoy the stove!
Many thanks! I don't know if it is reasonable because finding a contractor in my area is very challenging. I looked up pricing for installs on line and it says between 2000 to $4000 so that seems to be at the high end for any stove, much less a little one. But, it is done so you are right, time to enjoy :)

If you need wood for this season hop on the ferry to Mukilteo. There is a place that sells kiln dried wood. It’s call Northwestern Fuel and Landscaping. I’m not sure of their prices but they have Oak and Madrone.

Nigel, have you ever run compressed fuel in this stove? I am wondering if this year she should try some Tractor Supply bricks or Homefires?

If you need wood for this season hop on the ferry to Mukilteo. There is a place that sells kiln dried wood. It’s call Northwestern Fuel and Landscaping. I’m not sure of their prices but they have Oak and Madrone.
Awesome! Thank you for the tip!!

I had to look up what Super Cedars were, well that is handy :) I went yesterday and got some fire making supplies. I have the county coming out today to inspect. Hopefully it all goes well!

More importantly than anything else, I am a bit spooked about how close to the wall my stove is. If the manufacture says it is okay, how do I know it is really okay? I wanted wall protectants, but didn't get them. I have been reading a lot about heat shields for walls and how they work. I am now concerned about pyrolysis. My cabin is old, there used to be a wood stove in the same corner. I have worries on my mind.

Your stove has a certification from Underwriters Laboratory (UL). UL is a private company that certifies the safety of your stove as long as it is installed and operated per the manufacturer's specifications. UL has many years of experience in determining what proper clearances need to be for safe operation of wood stoves. All new stove models are tested by UL to confirm that they meet well established safety standards before being certified.

Take a look at the back of your new stove at the product label. You will see the specifications for proper clearances and the UL mark, indicating your stove model has met their safety standards. If the clearances and installation specifications in the stove's manual have been followed, I would rest easy about operating your stove and enjoy the warmth.

If you haven't done so already, I would encourage you to read the stove manual cover to cover. It will explain how to safely operate your new stove and get the best performance from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpine1
Your stove has a certification from Underwriters Laboratory (UL). UL is a private company that certifies the safety of your stove as long as it is installed and operated per the manufacturer's specifications. UL has many years of experience in determining what proper clearances need to be for safe operation of wood stoves. All new stove models are tested by UL to confirm that they meet well established safety standards before being certified.

Take a look at the back of your new stove at the product label. You will see the specifications for proper clearances and the UL mark, indicating your stove model has met their safety standards. If the clearances and installation specifications in the stove's manual have been followed, I would rest easy about operating your stove and enjoy the warmth.

If you haven't done so already, I would encourage you to read the stove manual cover to cover. It will explain how to safely operate your new stove and get the best performance from it.
I can't get back to see the label because the clearances are only 3 inches. I do have to owners manual and have read it and it does say only 3 inches and is mobile home certified and all of that (my home is not a mobile but that sounds promising). It is only 3 inches away from my wall that doesn't have a shield. Doesn't that sound scary?? I will for sure read on how to safely operate it, but that is what I am doing up now, trying to ease my mind. 3 inches.... how can that be? Everywhere on the internet the standards seem to be about 18 inches...