I am looking at replaceing my zero clearance with eather a Secrurit Chimneys, Bis Ultma or an RSF,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff3541108

Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2009
WI southestern
Thanks for your help. I live in a 1200 sq loft style house with full basement in southeastern WI. Also any ideas who to buy the unit from will also help. Or who to steer clear of. Thanks for your Ideas & help stay warm this winter

Well my first thought is that this is posted in the wrong area... %-P :red: But no big deal, as I am moving it to the Hearth Room where stove and fireplace discussions should go...

I don't claim any expertise on these units, but I would look very closely at how they manage to burn clean - some of the units do an EPA stove style, controlled airflow and secondary combustion approach, which can give good heating performance, while others rely on pulling lots of air through the fire, which can cause you to lose more heat up the chimney than you got from burning the wood....

The other option depending on your existing ZC box is to get an insert to stuff inside it, as long as you can get an appropriately sized insert that is rated for installation in a ZC fireplace...

Gooserider

I have an ultima and really like it.I just built my house last year.It's about 2000 sq foot ranch open plan with a 400 sq ft bonus room over the garage.I have it located in the great room and it will run you out of it and the kitchen if you want it that hot.It's just used for supplemental heat as it really doesn't get that cold here in NC.Go with the insulated chimney if you can swing it.I also have the oak installed,it's getting the air from the crawl space.The fireplace is really easy to operate and you can get a firescreen and burn it with the door open if you just want a fire and aren't concerned about heating anything.Make sure your wood is dry or you will get frustrated.

We use to sell rsf and those are a great stove. You can also check out the Kozy Heat fireplace's too. Z42 Z231 would be the 2 to look at. The z231 looks alot like the opel.

Status
Not open for further replies.