I cheated today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

First time I did not gain headway with my stove in my primary zone. I woke up and it was 65degrees got it to 67 and it had not moved from there since
I'm reading the thermostat located around the cornor from the wood stove to judge my downstairs zone. ITS the 45 mph wind gust raising havoc trying to bring the house up
Usually I can get it up to 71/72 and easilly 69 ,not today. I finally hooked up the burner zone valve wire. But that did not work out as planned the zone valve is gone. So I did the manual override and did circulate the zone. The real problem is this one is the primary or master zone valve. Fortunately I have 3 spear ones here so off to replace it.
Other good news the familly room Intrepid went out last night, as it will do. I should have topped off before bed time. I got up and it was 55 degrees there. IT has climbed to 66 and I feel it will make it to 70. This reduces the downstairs load and will help the stove there gain ground. Well that's the plan I hope to work out. The sun is emitting passive solar radiation. but with this wind
even that has little sffect. One can only build a home so tight and 45 mph in single digits makes it a challenge

I know you have the anti-freeze in the heating pipes, but are you doing anything special wrt other water pipes?
I'm not home, but I'm curious what the basement temp is now.

Fortunately all domestic water pipes and well within the homes' envelope never lost one. Idont have a cellar its all living space built into tha side of a hill
A unique design where many have walked in and asked where me cellar is my answer you are in it. By building into a hill on the north side I reduced exposure on the coldest side.
Part of the plan same with the huge granite field stone center fireplace Four south facing sliders for passive solar radiation R28 side walls. but wind like this will expose every leak
Reduce solar gain make the sliders leak as with other windows eventhough Andersons, In my area or Zone homes are designed for 70 degrees at zero out. which my stoves can do its the wind still howling I hope it dies down tonight then I will gain some on the temps even if they drop

Good news Gained another degree in the famlily room 67 now

How many sqft are you heating ELK?

Family room and loft about 600 main home 1800 counting both floors Gunner Many people had hobbies for the 25 years I was always adding to this home just pull the tools out after work again I mean My wife has a complete sewing room I added dormers added 2 car garage with a complete 3 room apartment added Familly room added. Now as things aged I redoing it all over again. Hard to caluculate as my mud roon under thsewing room is haeate I just provided the main home and not the 500 ft apt over the garage.. I can post pictures later witha better story about the building you know one person can build their own home

2400sqft then... right?

elkimmeg said:
First time I did not gain headway with my stove in my primary zone. I woke up and it was 65degrees got it to 67 and it had not moved from there since
I'm reading the thermostat located around the cornor from the wood stove to judge my downstairs zone. ITS the 45 mph wind gust raising havoc trying to bring the house up
Usually I can get it up to 71/72 and easilly 69 ,not today. I finally hooked up the burner zone valve wire. But that did not work out as planned the zone valve is gone. So I did the manual override and did circulate the zone. The real problem is this one is the primary or master zone valve. Fortunately I have 3 spear ones here so off to replace it.
Other good news the familly room Intrepid went out last night, as it will do. I should have topped off before bed time. I got up and it was 55 degrees there. IT has climbed to 66 and I feel it will make it to 70. This reduces the downstairs load and will help the stove there gain ground. Well that's the plan I hope to work out. The sun is emitting passive solar radiation. but with this wind
even that has little sffect. One can only build a home so tight and 45 mph in single digits makes it a challenge
YOU TURNED ON
THE FURNACE :ahhh:

Whats the crime? I leave my bedroom set at 57 and 55 when I happen to be alone. Just leave the electric blanket on low We have had to do that a lot this last 6 weeks since its been so damned cold. -13 with a 30+ mph wind at 0800 this morning. Winter is going out like a bear....................Had the corn stove set for 64 in the adjacent room last night running at 30K btu and it never got beyond 59F with all that wind vacuming the house all night.

Five degrees here this am with 40mph winds 71 inside :lol:

Fu%*@ce is a bad word around here...were going to have to wash you mouth out with soap :lol:

The GF would slit my throat if I turned the fu%*@ce on after all I spent on a stove and chimney.

-7F this morning when I woke up, stoves been purring along at 600 all day...it's 75 in here, I may have to open a window. Bring it on !!!!

Gunner said:
Fu%*@ce is a bad word around here...were going to have to wash you mouth out with soap :lol:

The GF would slit my throat if I turned the fu%*@ce on after all I spent on a stove and chimney.

-7F this morning when I woke up, stoves been purring along at 600 all day...it's 75 in here, I may have to open a window. Bring it on !!!!
u the man!!!!!!!!!!!!! :coolsmile:

Gunner said:

Bring it on !!!! is right. I know the feeling , another log or two and forget it.

Attachments

• P101003.JPG
    P101003.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 357
Bingo Bingo Familly room finally made it to 70 still climbing. Main zone now 68 7 degrees outside but the wind has subsided considerably.

The theory dose work. The two stoves both pulling their share of the heat load. The familly room is up stairs from the main zone so If I equal or raise its temperature the downstairs zone will hold the heat or go the other way to the separate upstaire bedrooms zones.

Ps I never changed the zone Valve I wanted to do it with the stoves I finally it in the 600 pushed 650 and it pretty much stayed there 6+ hours finnaly I made progress

Gunner If you ever have need for a stove 800 ft or less in your climate I telling you the Intrepid is hard to beat. What a wicked day

One good thing happened today, two checks came for jobs I completed man did I need them. Played the lottery today Usually don't ,but 370 mill was a too tempting. If I win I will remodel my setup and get a PE stove and the donor program will deninitely benifit.

Come on Elk, win the lottery and buy a Morso 3610, you may not need another stove :)

Good grief that is alot of coin.
Should I buy carbon credits or a few windmills and some solar panels?????????????????????????

Played the lottery today Usually don’t ,but 370 mill was a too tempting. If I win I will remodel my setup and get a PE stove and the donor program will deninitely benifit.

######################## :bug: ###########################

I knew you would admit it sooner or later Elk, glad to see you finally got this off your chest....you will sleep alot easier now that the truth is out. :snake:

Don't get too excited Gunner. If Elk wins that big jackpot he's likely to buy several stoves and rotate them just for the fun of it. That is all except for the Tuklivi.

Final up date before I retire 4 drgrees outside 70 on main floor and 72 in my familly room It took a long hard battle but my stoves rebounded and are carring the house.
pluss the howling winds subsided

Edit
Morning update I loaded the stoves downstairs main zone 66 degrees Familly room 68
outside 6 degrees clouds came in and stopped the downward plunge and the wind subsided

All in all abad battle but in the end I can live with the results the down stairs Encore stove temp was 450
Family room Intrepid 350 but plenty of coals to start the re-load

Like I said one of the best smaller stoves for the area it is suposed to heat

Status
Not open for further replies.