I didn't know this: Cat vs non-Cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"That costs money" ….lol

They operate less efficiently but do they still burn good or do they never engage the bypass?
I think he closes the bypass and runs it like he should except for the combuster part. Every year he cleans it himself. This guy is missing his leg at the hip. Harvests his own firewood, works on his own vehicles, works at a hardware store and is an all around impressive guy. He just doesn’t see the value in it.

If I ever win the lottery I’m going to buy him a new ashford 30 just to show him how things are supposed to work. Lol

Remind me not to buy any used cars from PA :).
No worries there unless you buy used cars that are about 20 years old and rusted away. My daily driver is 16 years old.

No worries there unless you buy used cars that are about 20 years old and rusted away. My daily driver is 16 years old.
I'm a used car guy myself though I do try to keep up the maintenance and keep them garaged if possible.

On the topic, this crowd is not representative of the average burner. Not even close.

And you’ve never changed the oil I’m guessing.

One time. All the other times I paid a guy. ;)

I never subscribed to the 3 mo/3000 mile BS. Its a straight 5000 mile interval. One thing I am a stickler for is checking oil. Run a motor out of oil and it will blow up no ifs ands or butts. My cars usually break in half before they quit running. I dont see the need to change my ways.

Younz better get back on topic!

Yeah I think this has run it's course.

Reactions: Dug8498
Penny wise and pound foolish.

186$ every 3 years which is easily recovered three times over in cost savings by burning so much less wood. 3 years is about the minimum and only for a full time burner. 10,000 hours can take some people 10 years!
It is not penny wise and pound foolish, it is economics. A decent non-cat stove can go 10 yrs and only have a gasket replacement. Spending $1000+ for expendables over say a 10yr period is worse than having to rebuild a VC stove every 10 yrs.

I got a request to reopen the thread. Didn't know it was locked as I just responded to the tapatalk email and didn't read the prior chatter. Now open but will be closed if it drifts badly again.

I got a request to reopen the thread. Didn't know it was locked as I just responded to the tapatalk email and didn't read the prior chatter. Now open but will be closed if it drifts badly again.
I dont mind as long as it stays atleast close to topic.

Good I was liking this thread. I don't know how well a cat stove would work for or maybe better to say how much advantage I could take of one w/o fouling my chimney.

I have 25-26' of exterior uninsulated liner. Too low and slow could be an issue but wonder what others would say.

Too low and slow could be an issue but wonder what others would say.

Depends on how much crud is being exhausted. On a stove that is burning efficiently the exhaust should be fairly free of contaminants, the liner should be insulated so the lower temps do not create a draft issue.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Depends on how much crud is being exhausted. On a stove that is burning efficiently the exhaust should be fairly free of contaminants, the liner should be insulated so the lower temps do not create a draft issue.
There arent any stoves on the market that burn clean enough that you dont need to stay above the condensation point.

There arent any stoves on the market that burn clean enough that you dont need to stay above the condensation point.
Yeah of course I get that. But some cat stove can be set to run much lower than a tuber because they were able to show their emissions were still below the acceptable limit.

So while going for that 18 hr burn the exhaust temp at the stove top vent is too low for a chimney of my length. Even the 15' guys seem prone to fouling their systems if they're not careful.

So if I can't get the extended burn then not sure I would benefit.

Yeah of course I get that. But some cat stove can be set to run much lower than a tuber because they were able to show their emissions were still below the acceptable limit.

So while going for that 18 hr burn the exhaust temp at the stove top vent is too low for a chimney of my length. Even the 15' guys seem prone to fouling their systems if they're not careful.

So if I can't get the extended burn then not sure I would benefit.
I know i have allot more buildup this year from the princess in my 18' insulated liner than i ever had from the regency

I had 25ft of insulated liner, when I cleaned it all I had was about 2 cups of fine dust after a season of burning with the BK.
That is what i got from the regency. I got easily twice that of flakes mid season with the bk.

I had 25ft of insulated liner, when I cleaned it all I had was about 2 cups of fine dust after a season of burning with the BK.
This winter of course has been different so far but usually we have extended periods of below freezing daytime temps with nights in the low 20's, teens and below. Is MD much different? Seems like it would be.

Pattern change coming in two weeks, cold and snow for the northeast and midwest.

Maybe stoves of the future will have a cat more similar to a diesel particulate filter with regen. During periods of high use a secondary air can be opened to burn the accumulated particulates and creosote. That kind of system would probably be way too expensive, but it would solve exhaust temps.

I didn't know this: Cat vs non-Cat

Once again drifting. Weather threads in the Inglenook please.

Status
Not open for further replies.