I dont understand why

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
Why must this guy always make these posts, I would love to go get a load or 2 as I am sure lots of others.

"Four to five cords prime WHITE OAK. One giant tree, four feet thick at bottom, all cut to 18" length, except some skinny limbs which are 6'.
Trunk pieces are BIG and HEAVY; will need to be split and will require TWO STRONG MEN working five hours to load and haul. We are not going to split it for you. You will need a truck and/or trailer and several trips; truck can get within 20' of the wood. You will be required to take ALL or NONE - repeat, ALL or NONE. The BIG wood will need to go FIRST, in case you fail to return after one load. Brush (leafy branches) need not be taken.
We have had too many liars on previous jobs who fail to follow through and TAKE IT ALL in a timely manner. If you are WEAK, SICK, LAZY or mentally ill, do NOT respond. If you have a "death in the family", do NOT respond. If you "may have to work that day", do NOT respond. If your truck or helper is unreliable, do NOT respond. If you suffer from "personal problems" which may interfere with this job, do NOT respond. If you live a thousand miles away like Cape May or Allentown, do NOT respond. If you are a chronic liar who makes false promises, do NOT respond. If you are not ONE HUNDRED PERCENT certain of your ability to fulfill this commitment within a couple days - exactly as described herein, do not respond. First come, first served."

I just read that to my wife with all the emphasis that was implied and she almost peed herself. That's just hilarious. :lol:

Just wondering why he needs to have someone else come and take care of this for him. Is he too weak, sick, or lazy or maybe he's not a big strong manly man.
Just thought I'd ask. Inquiring minds want to know,....you know?
Seems a bit demanding. Everything starts coming out of the woodwork this time of year.

There is sooooooooooooooo much wood availble around here, at this point I am turning it down. There have been sooooo many people without power for 5-6 days they can't even post a freebie on CL.

Not pretty, KC

Complex mind of a home owner. I should right a book on this one. Bottom line only take referrals and let them know what you can and can dont do. Give them time to think about it and never take on a job at first site just because you need firewood. When everything tell you to walk away RUN FORST RUN! (When they call the shots its just not worth it) Unless we are talking under 1/2 cord no brush! ;-)

That guy is right on. Can't tell you how many times I go to look at free firewood and when I get there only thing they show me is the 6' diameter knarly twisted forked up but log and say "there it is". I then say where is the firewood, and they repeat its right there. I then say nooooo you let everyone take the firewood and now you want me to take this away instead of paying a tree service to do it. No that dude is right on. I wish they all had that attitude.

I've taken a couple of those big rounds because my buddy said "we'll take it all" when looking at free wood....bent my tailgate.....on the otherside of the coin, had to also take real small stuff....like 3 inches across....felt like I was just cleaning up the guys yard...."take it all" means just that....now I look first, and refuse if it isn't worth it.

smokinjay said:
Complex mind of a home owner. I should right a book on this one. Bottom line only take referrals and let them know what you can and can dont do. Give them time to think about it and never take on a job at first site just because you need firewood. When everything tell you to walk away RUN FORST RUN! (When they call the shots its just not worth it) Unless we are talking under 1/2 cord no brush! ;-)

smokinjay

when i quick glanced at your post before reading it i thought you said:

'i should right hook this one'
which i'm enjoying in my imagination, of course.

OT

wkpoor said:
No that dude is right on. I wish they all had that attitude.

Heard that. No nonsense about taking the brush and you get the whole tree. One of my tree guys just gives me an address because he knows the tree is going to be gone and he can send his guys there the following morning to rake up.

Lots of free wood that is already felled and cut up.

Takes a lot of gas & wear & tear to get to this point, with something 4 ft. thick.

Sounds like a deal to me. I think if I was close to there, and had room for wood, I'd look past all his sillyness (sounds like someone's cheesed him off for some reason), load up my buddy, wheel barrow & big splitting axe, and go get it. Take a case of beer with you - that might lighten his mood.

If I was about 1500 miles closer,I'd grab that big beast.Even with about 13-14 cords of mixed Oak & Hickory ready to go.

maple1 said:
Lots of free wood that is already felled and cut up.

Takes a lot of gas & wear & tear to get to this point, with something 4 ft. thick.

Sounds like a deal to me. I think if I was close to there, and had room for wood, I'd look past all his sillyness (sounds like someone's cheesed him off for some reason), load up my buddy, wheel barrow & big splitting axe, and go get it. Take a case of beer with you - that might lighten his mood.
You guys aren't getting that dudes point. If he let the scroungers have their way they will take the easy stuff and leave then no on wants that big narly piece. And if its a yard tree it ain't worth foolin with. I love big wood and seek it out but some yard tree just aren't worth the time. So if I'm going to take it too I want the good stuff to make it worth my while. Thats the point here.

Yes - I see that point. I think. He wants it all gone, not just the 'good stuff'. He's already cut up the bad stuff - he'll even clean up the leafy mess.

So what's the problem again?

"We have had too many liars on previous jobs who fail to follow through and TAKE IT ALL in a timely manner."

This statement tells me that this is a tree crew that does not want to take the wood and also not have to charge their customers extra. A win-win for both of them.......provided it is picked up. I'm guessing that he has had to haul wood away from a job and did not want to. It also tells me that, for the right person, if you were to hook up with this guy, there would be more wood coming your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.