I feel proud...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
The other day at work a good friend of mine stopped by. We work at the same place but he is in a different building so I don't see him too often. Anyways, we got to talking about about my house and I was telling him where I live. The guy that sits next to me at work (also a good friend) said, "Just look for the 'Firewood Fortress" off in the distance. You can't miss it".

That made me feel pretty good about my wood stacks. It's now being called a fortress. :)

I'm sitting right at about 20 full cords, most of that is rot resistant types so I'm not worried about losing any of it before I use it.

Sounds like someone is jealous of your firewood endeavors! Burn on!

Indiana Rocks! Hardwoods everywhere!

smokinjay said:
True dat. I've got a bunch of standing dead and blown down. I think I need to hack these choking vines off the rest before my lot starts looking like Tunguska.

Sounds like this guy has a bad case of wood envy.

smokinjay said:
I agree. 8 cords of oak and hard maple came from 1 mile down the road from me. Just cut 'em up and leave whatever I don't want lay right there. Now I just noticed that guys neighbor had his place logged and I've been meaning to find out who the owner is and ask for permission to cut wood there. It would be nice to have another wood score within a mile of home, I can cut wood for weeks on a single tank of gas in the truck that way.

CountryBoy19 said:
smokinjay said:
I agree. 8 cords of oak and hard maple came from 1 mile down the road from me. Just cut 'em up and leave whatever I don't want lay right there. Now I just noticed that guys neighbor had his place logged and I've been meaning to find out who the owner is and ask for permission to cut wood there. It would be nice to have another wood score within a mile of home, I can cut wood for weeks on a single tank of gas in the truck that way.

I will run up to 15 miles one way....But your right those 1/4 mile scores are Sweeet! Hedge locust hickory Oak beech I might run a little further.

I have gone a long way to get some wood then last night something dawned on me.. looking right across the street from me.
there are a ton of dead standing and down to keep me going for a year.. Now how do I get them home without too many knowing what I am up too

Attachments

• scroung.jpg
    scroung.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 351
smokinjay said:
CountryBoy19 said:
smokinjay said:

I will run up to 15 miles one way....But your right those 1/4 mile scores are Sweeet! Hedge locust hickory Oak beech I might run a little further.

Yeah, I think I'm in a little bit better area than you. I'll go up to 5 miles for most of my wood, and up to 15 for hedge, hickory, locust, but there is definitely no need for me to go further than that. heck, I really didn't like driving 13 miles for my last hedge score. From august to early November I've gathered a good 5 year supply of firewood, half of that within a mile of home, and the only reason I went further than that was because I really wanted to get a good pile of hedge and locust for my long-term emergency supply in case anything ever happened where I couldn't cut wood. Now that I have that out of the way I don't think I'll ever have to worry about going outside of 5 miles for wood again.

But I do understand what it's like up in your area. I grew up in Adams county so I know it's a little tougher up there. I just happen to live right in a "sweet spot" for firewood.

And worst case scenario if I ever can't find a place to cut I can take my truck the 20 miles to work with me and cut wood at work for $5/load, and that gives me access to about 30,000 wooded acres of land to cut whatever I want as long as it is dead or down (no live trees).

That is an awesome deal all by itself. When they log they just leave the butt-piles lay so it's literally back up to the pile from the road, pick out what you want and go. The only reason I don't do it as part of my normal wood gathering is the 20 mile drive and the $5/load, plus you always have to have a partner with you. It's tough for me to get a partner at work without first driving home (defeating the purpose) so I'll pass it up for now and keep it as a last resort thing.

CountryBoy19 said:
The other day at work a good friend of mine stopped by. We work at the same place but he is in a different building so I don't see him too often. Anyways, we got to talking about about my house and I was telling him where I live. The guy that sits next to me at work (also a good friend) said, "Just look for the 'Firewood Fortress" off in the distance. You can't miss it".

That made me feel pretty good about my wood stacks. It's now being called a fortress. :)

I'm sitting right at about 20 full cords, most of that is rot resistant types so I'm not worried about losing any of it before I use it.

So.... please inform us on those varieties of non-rot resistant wood types. I don't know any myself.

Good for you on making the firewood fortress too. You are a good man.

I wish I could find my pic of an actual wood fortress . . . it was a pic of a woodpile taken somewhere here in Maine with port holes opened with what looked like cannon sticking out of them. Did a quick search but couldn't find the pic that I posted several months back . . . or maybe it was several years back.

Backwoods Savage said:
CountryBoy19 said:

So.... please inform us on those varieties of non-rot resistant wood types. I don't know any myself.

Sorry, guess I left that part out hedge and locust.

CountryBoy19 said:
I'm sitting right at about 20 full cords, most of that is rot resistant types
I'm guessing that you're not covering your main wood pile, thus the concern about rotting wood. Pretty hard to cover 20 cords!

Backwoods Savage said:
Birch, if left in log form with bark intact can turn into punk very quickly. Firewood that is split and properly ranked up should not rot.

CountryBoy19 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
CountryBoy19 said:

Sorry, guess I left that part out hedge and locust.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.